Home

TheSinner.net

How to make Union elections interesting

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby James Shield on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:10 am

Quoting RJ Covino from 00:37, 8th Jan 2008
The system as created by Ben et al. was sound; however, as it was never properly implemented, particularly on the SRC side, there are, now that at least one St Andrews generation has come and gone, difficulties.

How so?
James Shield

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:47 pm

My my, what an awful lot of hacks there seem to be on this thread...

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:51 am

So what are you here for, to make up the numbers? :P

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:30 am

Crazy, isn't it? On a thread entitled "How to make Union elections interesting" people who have been involved in said same elections should be posting. What a world.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:33 pm

Quoting James Shield from 11:10, 8th Jan 2008
How so?

In a nutshell, I'd say it was mostly down to a lack of faith in / willingness to work with the system on the part of several DoR's in a row. Instead, there was much time wasted on failed attempts to re-revamp the entire thing instead of focusing on mentoring/training and getting those elected to the various lesser positions to do the work they were elected to do. As Rob Fett demonstrated, a seemingly minor and oft-cited "useless" position such as SRC Member for Library and Learning Resources can, in fact, be effective.

I'd also like to offer the following insight as to the issue of Union overhauling, more by way of a caveat than anything else - the system as it exists at present largely came about following an effort to eliminate certain positions perceived to be useless...
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:17 pm

After reading this thread, I really really really want to sit in the Main Bar and drink Tennents.

And I keep thinking that today must be Tuesday.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Dickie on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:13 pm

Quoting Bonnie from 20:17, 13th Jan 2008
After reading this thread... I keep thinking that today must be Tuesday.

It is!

Remember VOTE R.O.N.

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby Jono on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:17 pm

Quoting Dickie from 18:13, 15th Jan 2008
Quoting Bonnie from 20:17, 13th Jan 2008
After reading this thread... I keep thinking that today must be Tuesday.

It is!

Remember VOTE R.O.N.

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a

The nominations haven't even been opened yet. What's the point?

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:27 pm

Perhaps Dickie feels that no matter who stands, having somebody else would be better?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby James Shield on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:39 pm

Of course; even the best of candidates automatically discredit themselves by having the onerous mark of candidacy in Union elections against their names.
James Shield

Re:

Postby current_student on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:11 am

Wise words from someone no longer here, who graduated years ago and has as much experience of the current political scene and working of the union as of the weather at the north pole.

Quoting exnihilo from 23:23, 3rd Jan 2008
All voting positions need to be cross campus? What errant twaddle. A myth that's been put about for some years and which is simply that: a myth.

The SRC can, and should, elect from specific constituencies - every other one does.

Sine suffragio is not a real term, it was made up (by me) as a joke.

The SRC should either be large, representative, and meet infrequently but have a smaller Executive Committee for day to day matters as it did once. Or it should be small and meet more frequently, be more managerial and devolve many decisions to sub-committees as it also did once. What it cannot be is a large, frequently meeting, managerial committee.
current_student

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:11 am

Quoting Steveo from 19:24, 3rd Jan 2008

My personal preference is to shrik the SRC back closer to the size it used to be, with less pointless positions.

Such as "Men's Issues Officer"?

Re:

Postby Careba on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:12 am

Sorry this discussion is turning into alphabet soup. So I have a question relating back to the original post namely what are all the positions on the SRC/SSC delete as applicable for?

And more specifically what are the womens issues/mens issues which mean we have to have a rep for? I mean the only ones I can think of are for provision of various things in toilets but I may just being slow.

Also if the university is meant to have equal rights for the sexes surely these positions are outdated and dare I say it patronising? The same could be said about other positions relating to race and sexuality.
Careba

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:12 am

1) Leave SSC alone.

2) For SRC, which does very little compared to SSC, elect four undergraduate representatives (by year of intake) and four postgrad reps.

Allow postgrads to vote for post-grad reps and allow students to vote for their year of intake- 1st years voting for 1st-year reps, 2nd years voting for 2nd-year reps(or, in the case of those on the 5-year plan, have them vote in 4th-year elections) etc.

This way, students will know who they're actually voting for, competition for posts will be fairer and the elected officers will be more accountable.

3) That gives SRC 20 members.

4) Carve-up remits in committee.

5) Lather, rinse, repeat.

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:12 am

I voted for Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and I truly believe he would have totally transformed union politics. Is he still knocking around?

Re:

Postby James Shield on Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Anyone who's followed the various things discussed on this thread might be interested to learn that last night the SRC agreed upon the following:

- The size of SRC has been reduced
- Some positions have been renamed to more relevant titles
- All elections will now take place in March, with the exception of postgraduate positions
- PG positions will be elected in October
- There will be an enhanced focus on national campaigns and community relations

I've uploaded details of the above to the 'SRC Motions' section of this page:

http://www.yourunion.net/content/index.php?page=17484

Minutes will be added once they're available.
James Shield

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:20 pm

While the abolition of many of the posts is welcome, I think that the SRC may be throwing the baby out with the bath water. I presume Member for First Year has just been missed off the list of abolished posts, and so instead of having year reps - posts that no one seems to have had a problem with - the SRC will have sub-honours and honours reps? First, why can't the SRC get away from cumbersome titles? Second, what is the rationale behind that?

It's good though that the Association is reintroducing limiting voting for certain posts to people within the appropriate constituencies. It would be even better if voting for all posts representing constituencies was limited to members of those constituencies.
Al

Re:

Postby James Shield on Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:45 pm

Quoting Al from 23:20, 20th Feb 2008
I presume Member for First Year has just been missed off the list of abolished posts

Not so - this position has been preserved so that there is someone specifically tasked with stirring up interest in the SRC and the services it can provide among new entrant students. I believe we also changed the position to 'SRC Member from First Year', meaning they can only be elected by first years.

the SRC will have sub-honours and honours reps? First, why can't the SRC get away from cumbersome titles? Second, what is the rationale behind that?

The new positions were very nearly 'SRC Member for Academic Issues (Sub Honours)' and so on, but were shortened a little bit at my suggestion. The rationale, according to the Exec document circulated prior to last night's SRC, was as follows:

"The only real issues that [year rep] positions deal with that can not be dealt with elsewhere are those of an academic nature. We propose that the position of SRC Member for Academic Issues is created, and alongside the SRC Education Officer ensures that all years are effectively represented."

SRC then decided that there was a big difference between sub-honours and honours academic issues, and so created two of these positions with sub-honours and honours responsibilities respectively.
James Shield

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:14 am

How is a Member from First Year going to be elected from among first years in the March diet and still be a first year for their term of office? Won't they be in their second year for most of it?
Al

Re:

Postby James Shield on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:54 pm

Yes, that's true. It's a difficult balance to get right - we wanted there to be someone to act especially as a liaison with first years, but we also wanted to move the elections to the March diet. If this position were elected in October along with the postgrad positions there would likely be a very low turnout, possibly resulting in a less-than-excellent candidate getting the job. It was also thought that a first year candidate elected in October - only a month or so after arriving in St Andrews - wouldn't really know what it was like to be a first year, whereas someone reaching the end of that year would know exactly what the experience entailed and what could be improved. Or at least, that was the rationale.
James Shield

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board