Home

TheSinner.net

Projects Abroad

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Projects Abroad

Postby greg-o on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:34 am

I am looking round companies for something to do this summer and Projects Abroad has a project I really like the look of. The problem is you have to fork out £300 just to apply. The site seems vague on details about your place on a project being secured simply by applying, so can anyone tell me if they have travelled with this company before, or know anyone who has, and can tell me what they are like? Alternatively I would welcome suggestions for other companies or projects– I hope to do a Law related placement.
greg-o

Re:

Postby hmmmhaveabanana on Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:59 pm

Any company asking for £300 up front without promising you anything sounds exceedling dodgy. £50 maybe for admin but not £300.
hmmmhaveabanana

Re:

Postby possumnumber3 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Quoting greg-o from 11:34, 8th Jan 2008
I am looking round companies for something to do this summer and Projects Abroad has a project I really like the look of. The problem is you have to fork out £300 just to apply. The site seems vague on details about your place on a project being secured simply by applying, so can anyone tell me if they have travelled with this company before, or know anyone who has, and can tell me what they are like? Alternatively I would welcome suggestions for other companies or projects– I hope to do a Law related placement.

I actually went with projects abroad to teach English in between leaving school and coming here. I had an absolutely amazing time, and would love to do it again however it is very expensive.
As you want to do law it will be different from me but when I applied, I got a replied saying that they are waiting from the country to see if there was placements available. We had a quick phone interview, and they said if the country I wanted wasn't available they would either give me my deposit back or allow me to select another country/programme. If you got any queries before you give them any money, call them, they are very nice people.
Pre departure, they were very helpful they basically organised my visa completely for me apart from me spending 20 minutes at the embassy in London. They gave me information about where I was going, what was happening each day, and everything I will need to bring or do.
When I arrived they picked me up from the airport and took me to there offices where there were some others arriving as well. We got shown round the local town, where to buy food and also how to recognise local signs (as I couldn't read or speak the language). Then the next day I was taken around a couple of schools to see what type of school I wanted to go with. They listened and thoroughly enjoyed the school I chosen.
Doing my programme had I very little contact with teaching abroad maybe a phone call a month to check I was still alive. They also had a 24 hour contact number if I had a problem.
The price I paid included all food, accommodation, transport to/from the main office, airport pickups, insurance, and knowing there was someone always there who spoke English and could help me.
Not sure if this has helped at all, but if you have any more questions just email me at aprb@.....
possumnumber3

Re:

Postby Gealle on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:32 pm

They let you teach written English?

[hr]

Funky flunky munky...
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby maenad on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:48 pm

I had a friend go to India with them and whilst she paid a lot more than I did (I also did some volunteering in India on my gap year) it sounded like there was a lot more on offer - she shadowed a doctor in a hospital and volunteered at an orphanage and there were several trips arranged whilst she was there.

Check the small print - I think most companies will repay your money if they don't have a suitable project, but check first. I'm pretty sure I paid a non-refundable £50 up front but that was to cover the cost of interview.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Return to The Sinner's Main Board