Home

TheSinner.net

Best Science Fiction Series

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby October on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 am

Quoting Duggeh from 04:31, 18th Jan 2008
Quoting treehugger from 04:09, 18th Jan 2008
Space Precinct, is the greatest sci fi series ever my a considerable margin. One time they shot an alien and ended up killing him because his brain was located in his foot.

Not quite right. As I remember the lines were:

"You hit a vital organ!"
"How was I supposed to know his brain was in his armpit?"

Man I loved that show.

[hr]

Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
Does no-one feel that giving geeks a justification such as Article 31 a bad move? - Frank
October

Re:

Postby Gealle on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:29 am

I always rather thought some of the best science fiction was Blair uttering on about the just cause of the Iraq war...

...Talk about living in a parallel universe.

And on side note, X-files died after season 5.

[hr]

Oh... I didn't realise it would explode.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Timata on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 am

Quoting Scurve Kano from 21:09, 17th Jan 2008

Seven Days (anyone remember Seven Days?)

Great show, just wish they'd have shown more than half of season one on the BBC, so I didn't have to struggle to find the episodes on the internet.

Just started watching Firefly - now reached episode 6, its amazing.

Enterprise was good, but I didn't like it as much as the other Star Treks - no Prime Directive, no transporter (well, not to begin with), but it was ok to watch. Voyager and DS9 are better.

X-files also brilliant, Hithhikers (because it captured the essence of the radio series and despite looking seriously dated, was way better than that awful film), Sliders, Stargates SG-1 and Atlantis (once you get used to the new people on SG1 its great...really, can't wait for the DVD film in March), Doctor Who (nothing else is quite like it), the 4400, Farscape.
Timata

Re:

Postby Haunted on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:17 am

Controversial statement of the day:

Firefly was not science fiction.
Brilliant show granted, but just setting the background in space/future does not automatically make something into science fiction.

It was a tragic shame that everyone hounded Enterprise (and almost Star Trek itself) out of existence as seasons 3 and 4 were nothing short of excellence (though I will admit to enjoying 1 and 2 as well but can sympathize with the criticism).

Anyone looking forward to the new film?

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby sejanus on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:30 am

Quoting Haunted from 11:17, 18th Jan 2008

Anyone looking forward to the new film?

In a manner that is probably deeply unhealthy for someone practically in his 30s. Sylar as Spock? Awesometacular.

[img]http://trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/star-trek-uss-enterprise-b.gif[/img]

(First official pic, apparently - teaser out Monday with Cloverfield!)

(Edited because the first pic was too huge)
sejanus

Re:

Postby Timata on Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:30 am

Quoting Haunted from 11:17, 18th Jan 2008
Controversial statement of the day:

Firefly was not science fiction.
Brilliant show granted, but just setting the background in space/future does not automatically make something into science fiction.

There are sci-fi elements though, if very well concealed. All I can come up with at the moment is the moving newspapers and a few other tiny things. I think the whole River Tam storyline might be counted as sci-fi though. I suppose Firefly might be more bordering on fantasy though, in general.
Timata

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:52 pm

I misunderstood the question and went for Other under the choice of Star Wars!

But I don't think that's what the question was after...Wars rules over Trek any day though

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Scurve Kano on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:28 pm

Star Wars isn't Science fiction. I'd be tempted to drop Doctor Who from that definition as well. "Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey ball" indeed!

I should probably specify that Doctor Who is not bad... I just don't like it, and am disappointed that it's so popular when so many good sci-fi series go unsung by terrestrial TV (*cough*BSG*cough*)

[hr]

"Take me to the Gardens of the Sinner,
Bury me and let me rest in peace
Now the time of truth has come for everyone
The fallen angel stands in victory"
-Gamma Ray
"Take me to the Gardens of the Sinner,
Bury me and let me rest in peace
Now the time of truth has come for everyone
The fallen angel stands in victory"
-Gamma Ray
Scurve Kano

Re:

Postby Chucky on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:57 pm

ODYSSEY 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Chucky

Re:

Postby IcanmurderwhenIsmile on Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:57 pm

Quoting gealle from 10:29, 18th Jan 2008
I always rather thought some of the best science fiction was Blair uttering on about the just cause of the Iraq war...

...Talk about living in a parallel universe.

And on side note, X-files died after season 5.

[hr]

Oh... I didn't realise it would explode.

Poof
IcanmurderwhenIsmile

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:14 pm

Quoting Scurve Kano from 14:28, 18th Jan 2008
Star Wars isn't Science fiction.

The dictionary says:

n.

A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

Wikipedia says it's an "epic space opera".

Hmm. I'd be tempted to go for the former.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:03 am

We must be getting rather desparate for polls as I must have suggested this more than a year ago....but for me its a toss between babylon 5 and doctor who...but doctor who must always win...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:22 pm

Bad quality Trek teaser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLMKVJEhK-g

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:43 pm

Babylon 5 was pretty good, though the final season was on the whole quite poor.

I'm sorely disappointed neither V nor Lexx are on the list. Both amazing, in their own ways...

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:44 pm

Quoting from 22:37, 18th Jan 2008
Babylon 5 was pretty good, though the final season was on the whole quite poor.

I'm sorely disappointed neither V nor Lexx are on the list. Both amazing, in their own ways...

They're not on there because I hate those shows. Firefly isn't there becuase I hadn't discovered its joys when I did this poll...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Thalia on Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:48 pm

I liked Lexx sometimes - depended on my mood i think and the earlier episodes were better than the later ones. Would have been much better without all the sexual innuendo :-P

The Lexx itself was rather cool though, in a cute planet-destroying puppy dog kinda way :)

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:20 am

When you say "Dr Who"... what exact era are we talking? Because it has descended from some sort of sci-fi into appalling fanwank.

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:25 am

Quoting angel_kohaku from 04:20, 21st Jan 2008
When you say "Dr Who"... what exact era are we talking? Because it has descended from some sort of sci-fi into appalling fanwank.

[hr]

Whatever era you want...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board