Home

TheSinner.net

McDonalds

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Legion on Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Quoting Al from 11:49, 22nd Jan 2008
Quoting from 17:58, 21st Jan 2008
McDonalds meat is in many cases a LOT healthier these days than if you bought burger meat from Tesco

"Burger meat"? I presume you mean mince.

I'd say s/he means "burgers". Making your own burgers from mince and the other raw ingredients could be as healthy and tasty as you choose to make them.
Legion

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:06 pm

So the comment was marginally more fatuous than it first appeared? If it was "McDonalds is more healthy than buying mince and making your own burgers" then it was moronic, but if it is "McDonalds is more healthy than buying cheap, manky, unhealthy supermarket burgers" then it was pointlessly self-evident.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:59 pm

Queue not cue, am I the only one that has a blindspot for this word?

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Frank on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Quoting Steveo from 13:28, 22nd Jan 2008They're still a fast food company, where everything is specifically designed to taste good, making you go back.

There isn't any honesty in the food.

There's nothing worse than food being dishonest about tasting good...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:39 pm

Frankly, the 'mince' is utter shite, too. If you want to make a decent burger you really ought to shell out the extra cash for the ground sirloin. Even then you're only likely to get the equivalent of what I can make with ground chuck here in the American Midwest.

Still, some ground sirloin formed into nice BIG patties. Add a little salt and black pepper. Top it with some gruyere, mushrooms, and bacon and then the condiments of your choice... yum yum yum... I had more than one friend in St Andrews who admitted they'd never had a real burger until they had one of mine.

Of course, it's best if you ignore the calories...

[hr]

Self-control is the chief element of self-respect; self-respect is the chief element of courage. - Thucydides
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:13 pm

Tell me, why exactly did you decide to come to the UK? I only ask because you seem to despise so many things about it.
Al

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:13 am

Ye-gads; A big scary corporate monster in St. Andrews! Can't have one of those; goes against the feel of the town, or something. We're not allowed anything with more than five chains(excluding Tescos, Morrisons, Starbucks, Costa, Boots, Currys, Waterstones...).

If our little cradle of the Scottish reformation can brook the formation of a Catholic Church in town; I somehow think it'll survive a Maccy-D's!

As for the glowing arches; I think it's pretty hypocritical, considering half the stores on market and south street light their shop-fronts up like Christmas trees 24 hours a day!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:26 am

Quoting Jono from 01:13, 23rd Jan 2008
If our little cradle of the Scottish reformation can brook the formation of a Catholic Church in town; I somehow think it'll survive a Maccy-D's!

?

Didn't St Andrews used to be one of the biggest centres of Catholicism in Europe? Why would having a Catholic church in the 'home' of Catholicism in Scotland be a massive and controversial deal?

I know that St Andrews played a part in the beginning of the Reformation in Scotland, but that came after the Catholic church.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 am

Do also bear in mind that McDonalds have shown themselves more than willing to moderate their signage, even change it entirely, to fit in with the character of smaller, older towns - all a council has to do is ask them to do so. Of course, that might require some wit on the part of the council...
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 pm

Tescos, Morrisons, Starbucks, Costa, Boots, Currys, Waterstones...).

Subway, New Look, Accessorize, Edinburgh Woolen Mill/Pitlochry, Jumper, The Body Shop, Thorntons, Carphone Warehouse, Phones 4 U, Holland and Barrett, Ryman Stationery, Greggs, Argos, Ponden Mill, Woolworths, Fat Face, Trespass, Going Places, Thomas Cook, Intersport, Clarks, Johnson Cleaners, Munro Cleaners, Happit, Monsoon, White Stuff

and a few more
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Raindance on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:56 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 09:39, 23rd Jan 2008
Do also bear in mind that McDonalds have shown themselves more than willing to moderate their signage, even change it entirely, to fit in with the character of smaller, older towns

Maybe they'll do us a sweet deal like this one I went to when I was younger:

http://image04.webshots.com/4/6/33/10/5 ... lZl_fs.jpg

[hr]

Raindance, i apologise if i've pissed you off

- Big X
I'm only here because b3ta is broken.
Raindance

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:07 pm

I believe he was referring to St James on the Scores, which was only founded in 1879. Correct me if I'm wrong on the date. Been a few years.

Quoting cain from 07:26, 23rd Jan 2008

?

Didn't St Andrews used to be one of the biggest centres of Catholicism in Europe? Why would having a Catholic church in the 'home' of Catholicism in Scotland be a massive and controversial deal?

I know that St Andrews played a part in the beginning of the Reformation in Scotland, but that came after the Catholic church.

[hr]

[hr]

Oh... I didn't realise it would explode.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:07 pm

Pop in all the banks as well.

Quoting Fawksie from 12:53, 23rd Jan 2008
Tescos, Morrisons, Starbucks, Costa, Boots, Currys, Waterstones...).

Subway, New Look, Accessorize, Edinburgh Woolen Mill/Pitlochry, Jumper, The Body Shop, Thorntons, Carphone Warehouse, Phones 4 U, Holland and Barrett, Ryman Stationery, Greggs, Argos, Ponden Mill, Woolworths, Fat Face, Trespass, Going Places, Thomas Cook, Intersport, Clarks, Johnson Cleaners, Munro Cleaners, Happit, Monsoon, White Stuff

and a few more

[hr]

So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

Gealle

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:48 pm

Quoting gealle from 18:07, 23rd Jan 2008

I was going to, but then you don't really get non-chain banks, do you?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:05 pm

I believe he was referring to St James on the Scores, which was only founded in 1879. Correct me if I'm wrong on the date. Been a few years.

1910?
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Quoting Fawksie from 18:48, 23rd Jan 2008

I was going to, but then you don't really get non-chain banks, do you?

Child & Co

[hr]

Gealle

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:19 pm

As much as Coutts is. They're both part of RBS.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:25 pm

He should know, he does work for RBS.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:44 pm

You could classify Coutts & Co a 'chain' brand. I'd find great difficulty applying the same tag to Child.

[hr]

Gealle

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:15 pm

Quoting Raindance from 13:56, 23rd Jan 2008
Maybe they'll do us a sweet deal like this one I went to when I was younger:

http://image04.webshots.com/4/6/33/10/5 ... lZl_fs.jpg

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /4/6/33/10/56863310khYlZl_fs.jpg on this server."?

I hope not; it's worse than the original!

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board