Home

TheSinner.net

McDonalds

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:17 pm

We've got a Gourmet Burger Kitchen here in Didsbury now. They open one of those, you've got no complains. :)

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Midget on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:21 am

Quoting exnihilo from 13:19, 22nd Jan 2008
Perhaps a citation from McDonalds University - Big Book of Sciencey Stuff?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7209276.stm
Midget

Re:

Postby Edinburgh Boy on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:26 am

Will the new McDonalds qualifications be complimentary with the food?

I like the sound of getting a diploma free with extra fries.
Edinburgh Boy

Re:

Postby Raindog on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:43 am

There is no such thing as "chains". Just succesful businesses and not so succesful businesses.
Raindog

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:35 pm

While it may be true to say that global chains have demonstrated success it is an utter fallacy to say that a small business with one site has not.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby somewhere only we know on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:26 pm

I don't think raindog's statement says that actually, but both of your statements are correct.
somewhere only we know

Re:

Postby Raindog on Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Most of the independant businesses i have seen grow to one level or another. Grouchos being in Aberdeen. Spokes being in Dundee and Edinburgh. I think if the "independant" business guy got half the chance he would have as many stores as possible. Business is business after all. All humans aim for succesful lifes.

However Mcdonalds, HEY!leave those kids alone and fuck off out of St Andrews.
Raindog

Re:

Postby Gealle on Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:19 pm

While we're on this thread of the subject, would anyone be interested in the figures on small businesses and what percentage of the employment market in the UK they take up?

It's more than you might imagine.

[hr]

Oh... I didn't realise it would explode.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:04 pm

Yeah, throw them up.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby KateBush on Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:58 pm

I am appalled that MacDonalds is coming to St Andrews. I always said that when this happened, it was going to mark the beginning of the end.

St Andrews is well and truly done for if these eejits come to town :(

I'm glad I'm not there to see it - it makes me mad and sad.

[hr]

Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:00 am

Quoting katebush from 23:58, 28th Jan 2008
I am appalled that MacDonalds is coming to St Andrews. I always said that when this happened, it was going to mark the beginning of the end.

St Andrews is well and truly done for if these eejits come to town :(

I'm glad I'm not there to see it - it makes me mad and sad.

[hr]

Could someone explaing to me just WHY a mcdonalds would be the beginning of the end for st andrews and why there is so much opposition to it?? I really don't see the problem...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:02 am

Because shut up, that's why.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Gealle on Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:05 am

Quoting Fawksie from 22:04, 28th Jan 2008
Yeah, throw them up.

I'll grab the most up to date figures in the morning and get them up here tomorrow night :)

[hr]

Oh... I didn't realise it would explode.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:12 pm

Quoting ARTooD2 from 00:00, 29th Jan 2008

Could someone explaing to me just WHY a mcdonalds would be the beginning of the end for st andrews and why there is so much opposition to it?? I really don't see the problem...

Because they sacrifice children upon their altar of fast food. Honestly, I don't see what the big problem is with McDonalds either. Yes, their food is sub-par but anyone with even half a brain knows that. If McDonalds is the source of all evil, then people in St Andrews will shun it and they'll go out of business. I expect it'll do rather well with drunk students and hungry schoolkids.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Re:

Postby Raaaaaaaar on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:44 pm

Just out of interest is this anything more than a rumour? It circulates as often as Skeleton Key! Does anyone know if Currys is indeed closing? Has anyone bothered to check the planning applications submitted to the council? A lot of the posters on this thread seem very keen to jump on the 'We hate McDonalds, it'll ruin the town' bandwagon going on nothing more than what those before have reported as rumour. While I'm not on either side of the argument surely it would be better to confirm it before screaming that the town will never be the same again.
Raaaaaaaar

Re:

Postby Midget on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:56 pm

Fucksticks! Someone's spreading unfounded rumours on the Sinner, how appalingly apocryphal.
Midget

Re:

Postby Hevelius on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Aside from all the (mostly legitimate, in my opinion) complaints about the quality / nutritional value of their food, their environmental record isn't exactly sparkling. Oh, and don't get me started on their trade union smashing antics. This may explain some of the opposition to McDonalds, if not the view that 'it's the beginning of the end for St. Andrews'.
Hevelius

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:19 pm

Quoting Hevelius from 18:06, 29th Jan 2008

Aside from all the (mostly legitimate, in my opinion) complaints about the quality / nutritional value of their food, their environmental record isn't exactly sparkling. Oh, and don't get me started on their trade union smashing antics. This may explain some of the opposition to McDonalds, if not the view that 'it's the beginning of the end for St. Andrews'.

Thats an argument not to eat there. Not that its going to ruin the character of the town or its the beginning of the end as you said.

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Jono on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:14 pm

Beginning of the end indeed! Christ alive! Some people seem to think that we live in goddamned Rivendale!

Pull away the Religious, Tourist, and Student crap; and what do you have left? a normal Scottish town, filled with normal people, with normal life priorities. Maybe those priorities include the occasional McDonalds. Golf-courses and medieval history to not impart entitlement to pretend that the outside world doesn't exist. That shouty 4-year-drifters (Sorry, Students) generally disagree, says something about the character of the university (not a good 'something').

McDonalds is sub-par, unhealthy, and generally not great? Blow me away; I thought it was a gymnasium chain! It's a bullshit argument, quite frankly! Leaving aside that it's not going to inconvenience you in any way to take your custom elsewhere; you can (Shock!) have the occasional takeaway (Horror!) and not end up needing a triple-heart-bypass! Since when did it become societies job to regulate everybodies calorie intake? Besides, refuse planning permission on that basis; and you'd shut half the high-street!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board