Home

TheSinner.net

McDonalds

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Quoting ARTooD2 from 06:21, 21st Jan 2008
... and I mentioned in passing whether Blockbuster might open up in the same place....I never saw the difference between the two myself apart from one was a multinational...

There used to be a Blockbuster, it closed.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:07 pm

I can say my palate is not refinded. Though I too say no to the big Mac. I have one maybe twice a year and every time I feel wonderfully sick afterwards no matter how slow I eat. I get the same old childish craving for a big mac in the way I crave fish and chips from our beloved KFB (come on its just across the road) but at least the fish and chips dont make me hurt.

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:51 pm

Can you stomach KFB chips however? I've worked in dozens of restaurant kitchens, takeaways and chip vans, (commercial gas work). The chips that fall down the back and sides of the fryers in the less scrupulously clean premises bear a striking resemblance to what I've been served at the KFB every time I've chanced it.

PM's are edible but overpriced, 101's are often undercooked, Empire's are reconstituted, Marmaris' are OK. I agree with Duggeh, Dolce Vita is the only decent place in the town.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby The Jaspar on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm

Quoting Frank from 14:00, 21st Jan 2008
I think I might try kennedys in Dundee...

[hr]

Made me chuckle :D

This thread has done nothing but make me crave a McDonald's!
The Jaspar

Re:

Postby Haunted on Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Quoting Steveo from 14:01, 21st Jan 2008
Yes, that's true - same goes for any small eatery at lunchtime. That's a bad thing for the very good small food places though which do such good food.

Well when the ques are so long that people are turning away then reducing their custom slightly should not affect them too much since they are being saturated anyway.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:26 pm

I've always thought that the lack of multinational franchised fried goods outlets brings out the charm of this place.

Oh how many times I've heard my friends from home say "Yeah, we went to Wetherspoons for 6, then had a Mcdonalds / KFC / Burger King and went to the union for 5". I sigh lingeringly and think of 6 in Aikmans, accompanied by nachos or stovies. Civility.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Dickie on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:36 pm

Quoting ARTooD2 from 06:21, 21st Jan 2008
I never understood the whole argument about a mcdonalds. lowering the tone of the town. Someone used the same argument when global shut down and I mentioned in passing whether Blockbuster might open up in the same place....I never saw the difference between the two myself apart from one was a multinational...

[hr]

King Sinner

We did have a Blockbuster but that closed down some time ago.

By the by there was a Wimpy in town but that was before most of you were born...

[hr]

http://facebook.com/p.php?id=37106107&l=217e435e0a
Dickie

Re:

Postby RobFett on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:46 pm

You can be sure that the Community Council will object to it.

Rob Fett
Royal Burgh of St Andrews Community Councillor
RobFett

Re:

Postby James Shield on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:59 pm

A quick Google search of "community council" + "serious business" shows that the St Andrews Community Council is indeed a force to be reckoned with. McDonalds beware.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=%22com ... usiness%22
James Shield

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:03 pm

Why in the world would you want a McDonald's when you can get a toasted wrap at Butler and Co.? (assuming, of course, that you still can. I haven't been around in awhile...)

[hr]

Self-control is the chief element of self-respect; self-respect is the chief element of courage. - Thucydides
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:32 pm

Quoting LonelyPilgrim from 23:03, 21st Jan 2008
Why in the world would you want a McDonald's when you can get a toasted wrap at Butler and Co.? (assuming, of course, that you still can. I haven't been around in awhile...)

God yes you can, I had one the other day and it was ace :D
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:37 am

Im all for moving Butler & co to a new site with bigger space and giving them more room for wrap making. The cue is amazing for those little pieces of heaven every time I go in.
And yes as I said in my last post I can eat KFB without no ill effect but as another poster has said McDonalds makes me ill. That should say something.

Quoting Fawksie from 23:32, 21st Jan 2008
Quoting LonelyPilgrim from 23:03, 21st Jan 2008

God yes you can, I had one the other day and it was ace :D

[hr]

nighteyes

Re:

Postby Guest on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:35 am

I see a lot of students at St Andrews are still fools who blindly follow the media. You do realise that McDonalds meat is in many cases a LOT healthier these days than if you bought burger meat from Tesco or another supermarket and cooked it yourself? This isn't the 80's people, this is the new age where McDonalds is no longer the place that used to sell burgers containing parts of 90 different turkeys.

Re:

Postby Raindog on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:39 am

And two different types of sperm
Raindog

Re:

Postby Al on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:49 am

Quoting from 17:58, 21st Jan 2008
I see a lot of students at St Andrews are still fools who blindly follow the media. You do realise that McDonalds meat is in many cases a LOT healthier these days than if you bought burger meat from Tesco or another supermarket and cooked it yourself?

"Burger meat"? I presume you mean mince. I fail to see how buying mince, adding some other ingredients, making burgers from the mixture, and then cooking them is somehow less healthy than buying a burger from McDonalds.
Al

Re:

Postby jequirity on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:25 pm

Quoting Al from 11:49, 22nd Jan 2008
I see a lot of students at St Andrews are still fools who blindly follow the media. You do realise that McDonalds meat is in many cases a LOT healthier these days than if you bought burger meat from Tesco or another supermarket and cooked it yourself?

"Burger meat"? I presume you mean mince. I fail to see how buying mince, adding some other ingredients, making burgers from the mixture, and then cooking them is somehow less healthy than buying a burger from McDonalds.

I demand some statistics on this issue!

[hr]

LEEERRRROYYYY!!!!

Andrew W K Day 9th of May
jequirity

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:19 pm

Perhaps a citation from McDonalds University - Big Book of Sciencey Stuff?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Steveo on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:28 pm

I see a lot of students at St Andrews are still fools who blindly follow the media. You do realise that McDonalds meat is in many cases a LOT healthier these days than if you bought burger meat from Tesco or another supermarket and cooked it yourself? This isn't the 80's people, this is the new age where McDonalds is no longer the place that used to sell burgers containing parts of 90 different turkeys.

They're still a fast food company, where everything is specifically designed to taste good, making you go back.

There isn't any honesty in the food.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Haunted on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Nutritional information of popular McDonalds' items:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller ... ndex1.html

Yeah the source isn't exactly unbiased but I'd find it hard to believe they could get away with manipulating those figures.

"McDonalds make fries healthier" - Time, 2002
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 85,00.html

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Not really the point is it, though? It's still bad for you, it's still calorifically hilarious. The quality of the food started out shite, and now it's gotten a little better. That doesn't make it 'good', by any means. Also, your opening sweeping statement deserves a smack in the face, which you will be receiving shortly.

Unless you did a survey, in which case, sorry.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board