Home

TheSinner.net

Obligatory exam results thread...

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:55 am

I did as I expected though I am still horrified at my low grade for the other. I think I be screwed.

I dont have the marks for the two I sat in December. Wonder if they have lost the papers. Or just forgot about them. With the Psych dept am banking on forgot. I would be feeling better about the really crap grade if I knew I had done well in the others. Am now beating myself over the head for taking social psych because it sounded interesting. I knew I wasnt going to do well in it.

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby hmmmhaveabanana on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:49 am

How did people do on Physics of Atoms? I thought that would be one of my best modules but I was wrong!
hmmmhaveabanana

Re:

Postby Frank on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:24 am

Quoting hmmmhaveabanana from 09:49, 6th Feb 2008
How did people do on Physics of Atoms? I thought that would be one of my best modules but I was wrong!

I was pleasantly surprised, it was my best mark by far! I was quite chuffed with the exam though, good questions came up for me.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby schmod on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:25 am

Thermal Physics was, as predicted, an absolute bloodbath.

And the true injustice comes in the fact that I spent the vast majority of time revising for that module, because I absolutely needed to pass it :-/
schmod

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:39 am

D is deffered.
F is failed.
X is lost DP(or PtP whatever they call it these days).

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Zilch zilch zilch

Postby ElStudente on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:28 pm

Still nothing! Aargh...
ElStudente

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:28 pm

Re:

Postby ElStudente on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:28 pm

Got them! A 9.7 for my major, ouch... It is only first year, I suppose; I'll just have to concentrate harder next semester. However, did much better than expected for the others.
ElStudente

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:30 pm

I was wondering if the mark shown is the overall module mark or is it just for exams???

Re:

Postby James.C on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:30 pm

Hhhhmm...does anyone know what happens if you are in second year and you are doing something like geography and geoscience single honours. I got a pass in both my modules, as indicated on the record card, but i thought i would have to get 11 in both and only got over 11 in one of the two modules? Does this mean that i have passed the exam but not passed the criteria to get into my honours course?
James.C

Re:

Postby orudge on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:32 pm

Quoting from 11:04, 6th Feb 2008
I was wondering if the mark shown is the overall module mark or is it just for exams???

It's the overall mark. You can try to work out your exam mark, but depending on the mechanism used by your department, it may not be as simple as it seems. (e.g., for computer science, most modules are 60% exam/40% coursework, with the larger mark being limited to the smaller mark * 1.25).

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby Garnet on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:43 pm

Quoting James.C from 12:36, 6th Feb 2008
Hhhhmm...does anyone know what happens if you are in second year and you are doing something like geography and geoscience single honours. I got a pass in both my modules, as indicated on the record card, but i thought i would have to get 11 in both and only got over 11 in one of the two modules? Does this mean that i have passed the exam but not passed the criteria to get into my honours course?

I don't know about geography specifically - but you get a pass if you get over 5, and to get into honours you usually need 11 minimum in both semesters, however i believe with some departments you just need an average of 11 for both semesters.

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:32 pm

Quoting garnet from 14:43, 6th Feb 2008

I don't know about geography specifically - but you get a pass if you get over 5, and to get into honours you usually need 11 minimum in both semesters, however i believe with some departments you just need an average of 11 for both semesters.

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!

Some schools (such as Physics and Astronomy) require an average of 15, or specific grades equal to 15 in order to enter the Masters courses.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:56 pm

I still dont have my 2 marks from the exams sat in december. Should I be worried? I am going to email the department (would have done it earlier but was hoping they would update it while I was out then I was at the gym longer than I intended to be).

[hr]

nighteyes

Re:

Postby Steveo on Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Geography require an average of 11 between the two second year modules.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby James.C on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:17 pm

Ah ok, that makes sense i guess, thanks for the replies.
James.C

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:18 pm

i received a 5 in one of my subjects. i knew i was going to do extremely poorly on the exam but i am a bit confused since i did well enough on the other work (i think around a 16). i know that the other work is worth 40% and the exam was worth 60% but i cannot figure out how i could have gotten a 5 over all and still have passed the module (since i needed to get a 5 on the exam and it says i passed the module). can someone please help me figure this out? i am a first year and generally confused by these things.

Re:

Postby orudge on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Some departments put additional restrictions on grading other than the basic 60%/40% (or whatever) figures. In Computer Science, for instance, the overall grade is capped at the lowest grade multiplied by 1.25, even if the other grade was significantly higher. For instance, you could get a 4 on the exam, and a 20 in coursework, but you'd only come out with a 5 overall. Other departments may have similar restrictions.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:38 pm

That is one cruel way of marking.
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby Thalia on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:08 pm

One thing you can do is ask to discuss the paper with the course coordinator - i did that in third year with a paper when the grade was lower than i expected, talked to my lecturer about it and he told my why i got the grade i did.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board