Home

TheSinner.net

University Challenge 08?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

University Challenge 08?

Postby Jeremy McPaxman on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:16 am

I heard a rumour in Semester 1 that the try outs for the 2008 team would take place sometime in early 2008.

Can anyone shed any more light on this or is there a set date? I just haven't heard much about it to be honest.
Jeremy McPaxman

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:38 am

Unless you've been living inside a coconut, you should be aware that we were knocked out of the 2008 quarter-final by Magdalen Oxford last week.

As for the 2009 team, I suggest you contact Jonathan Cooper who co-ordinates the UC teams.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Count Dracula on Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:02 pm

The try-outs will be held within the next few weeks. Exact dates have not been decided yet but will be widely publicised in plenty of time. Enquiries to unichal@

[hr]

Consejo no pedido, consejo mal oido.
Consejo no pedido, consejo mal oido.
Count Dracula

Re:

Postby Jeremy McPaxman on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Oh, forgive me, I thought that we were in February of 2008 and that there would be a new University Challenge series some point later this year, and not in 2009.

Don't treat everyone like a moron, it's very tiresome and doesn't make you look clever.

I suppose I should thank you, albeit grudgingly for your help which you kindly included after your several lines of sarcasm.

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 10:38, 14th Feb 2008
Unless you've been living inside a coconut, you should be aware that we were knocked out of the 2008 quarter-final by Magdalen Oxford last week.

As for the 2009 team, I suggest you contact Jonathan Cooper who co-ordinates the UC teams.

[hr]
Jeremy McPaxman

Re: University Challenge 08?

Postby Guest on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:10 am

Has anyone heard anything at all about auditions for the new university challenge team? I was expecting some sort of announcement this semester and posters at the library, but nothing yet. I've been here since September, and am wondering whether I've missed something.

Postby fearghas on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:57 pm

Auditions will be held soon; there will be posters going up about it, and an email coming round too :)
fearghas

Postby Mephisto on Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:01 pm

How now is 'soon'?
Mephisto

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:05 pm

I haven't seen a single advert for University Challenge try outs in my 7 years here. One year - didn't we have 3 people from the same department on the team?
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Guest on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:57 am

The one year that they did quite well was after an email was sent to every student in the university either through the association or the registry. It would be worth doing it again.

Postby Eliot Wilson on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:27 am

The trials for the 2003/04 season were very well attended. As I recall, Ralph Covino and Eloise Govier ran them. I also have a vague recollection of helping to organise trails for the following year, and quite a few people turned up.
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Return to The Sinner's Main Board