Home

TheSinner.net

Fire at DRA?!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Fire at DRA?!

Postby Raaaaaaaar on Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:38 pm

I've just been reading in the newspaper that there was a fire in one of the DRA flats last night. Like an actual real fire where the dozen firemen who turned up actually got to extinguish something! Can anyone elaborate?
Raaaaaaaar

Re:

Postby juiciestbabygurl on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:07 pm

I heard Tulloch haig and sharp were evacuated
juiciestbabygurl

Re:

Postby fluffy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:14 pm

tulloch wasn't evacuated

[hr]

dev ksereis, alla eimai trella erotebmevei mazi sou..
fluffy

Re:

Postby kimando on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:49 pm

There was a fire in Haig last night, only one room was badly damaged though and no one was injured.
kimando

Re:

Postby Nosey DRAer on Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:37 am

I happen to know most of the details first hand. The fire was in Haig in one of the ground floor bedrooms, a lit candle set a cloth alight in the bottom of the wardrobe behind the door, and(apparently) 2 fire engines came but the fire had been put out by the person who lived in the room by time they arrived.

By the looks of what I seen outside Haig afterwards the only damage was to the bottom compartment of the wardrobe which was blacked and scotched but not significantly burned and I'm assuming the immediate surrounding areas, nothing too serious.

Only Haig was evacuated, but that was only because the fire alarm went off
Nosey DRAer

Re:

Postby fluffy on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:17 am

so are they getting kicked out for having lit candles in hall? my old flatmate once got fined £50 for having an (obviously) unlit candle in a pumpkin. the wick wasn't even used!!

[hr]

fluffy

Re:

Postby Euro on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:23 am

I hope they get expelled from halls, the terms and conditions say they will so hopefully the university will live up to its standards.
Euro

Re:

Postby creepy old man on Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:26 pm

What a strange place to burn a candle, in the bottom of the wardrobe behind the door.
creepy old man

Re:

Postby dubious on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:46 am

Apparently there've been two fires. Agnes - the lady who works in the shop - seems to reckon that the Fire Service had to break down a wall to get into the room... but that's not been confirmed :)

Quoting creepy old man from 22:26, 20th Feb 2008
What a strange place to burn a candle, in the bottom of the wardrobe behind the door.
dubious

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:46 am

Just as an update he WAS kicked out of DRA effective today and fined for the damage to wardrobe, the door, the carpet and the wall (which apparently wasn't all covered for by the insurance)

and to creepy old man, from what I have heard the candles were all over the room tucked away in various places, an accident waiting to happen if you ask me!

Re:

Postby Raaaaaaaar on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Breaking down a wall does seem like a bit of a far fetched story. From what I remember about DRA is that the doors are pretty thick yet lightweight suggesting that they are hollow. A couple of good blows with an axe would surely do it. Or even easier get a universal key card from a member of staff who would no doubt be on the scene by the time Fife's finest appeared?

Quoting dubious from 23:17, 20th Feb 2008
Apparently there've been two fires. Agnes - the lady who works in the shop - seems to reckon that the Fire Service had to break down a wall to get into the room... but that's not been confirmed :)

Quoting creepy old man from 22:26, 20th Feb 2008
Raaaaaaaar

Re:

Postby fluffy on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:23 pm

nope, they DID Have to break through the wall...

[hr]

fluffy

Re:

Postby Abserdman on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:28 pm

There were two fires on the same night. One in Haig, resulting from a candle, and another one from someone forgetting about the bacon they'd put in the grill. The person with the candles is getting kicked out, the other person isn't.

And FYI, there was another fire on Wednesday night in Fife park when someone *cough*notmeIswear*cough* set fire to the grill by forgetting to turn it off so the sausage fat in the bottom caught fire. No fire engines for that one though.
Abserdman

It's only a wall

Postby AndyL on Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:11 pm

Breaking a wall for a fire service is a regular occurrence and a practiced scenario. You may wish to enquire if it was a stud wall, if so the firefighters might have just run through it at the same time as the sledge hammer.
AndyL

Re:

Postby Dark_Soul on Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:30 pm

Because of all these happenings, a fire officer and a manager from DRA are inspecting the Fife Park flats. They'll also be checking random bedrooms. Do you think I should take my posters down? They don't usually bother but I'm guessing they're kinda pissed off after this week. I'm asking, not because I'm lazy but, because I have so many things on my walls..including hundreds of top trump cards :S

[hr]

Who will take care of me my love, my dark angel, when you are gone?
Dark_Soul

Re:

Postby maenad on Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:45 am

I was going to say, one of my housemates was at a DRA flat where there was a fire that night, but it was the cooker. Must have been the bacon flat.

Dark_Soul, they just came round Albany doing that, and we got an email afterwards telling us that our fire signage needs updating. I don't think it's anything to do with the DRA fires. I don't know whose rooms they checked, but we all have posters and we haven't been saked to take anything down.

[hr]

Tommy can you hear me?
Tommy can you hear me?
maenad

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:08 am

http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2201952127

A group to bond over the fact that nearly everything in this town (including water) is a fire hazard, and that anything the plugs into a wall WILL catch on fire.
Watch yourself.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:24 am

Quoting Fawksie from 01:08, 22nd Feb 2008
http://standrews.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2201952127

A group to bond over the fact that nearly everything in this town (including water) is a fire hazard, and that anything the plugs into a wall WILL catch on fire.
Watch yourself.

Oh Christ; The Irony! They do all this regulation, and yet; we still have silly bastards burning down things.

posters don't kill people; Moron's do!

[hr]

BY FIRE; BE PURGED!

http://www.myspace.com/tauntra
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Abserdman on Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:20 am

Quoting Dark_Soul from 22:30, 21st Feb 2008
Because of all these happenings, a fire officer and a manager from DRA are inspecting the Fife Park flats. They'll also be checking random bedrooms. Do you think I should take my posters down? They don't usually bother but I'm guessing they're kinda pissed off after this week. I'm asking, not because I'm lazy but, because I have so many things on my walls..including hundreds of top trump cards :S

[hr]

They do this once a year anywa. They checked my room last year. I got told off for having cbe wall plug adaptors rather then the flat ones and told that I was missing a notice for my pin board. That was it, no mention of the posters on my wall.
Abserdman

Re:

Postby box_of_delights on Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:13 am

I got a letter for having partially obscured the fire warning poster on my board with a postcard last year [img]littleicons/blush.gif[/img]

There was a more "substantial" fire last year in Herkless when a kettle caught fire and destroyed most of the worktop and surrounding cupboards.

[hr]

[s]http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37101440&pwstdfy=c9c14f50e63e4951ba5a9abb7ffcdc6e[/s]
box_of_delights

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board