Home

TheSinner.net

St. Andrews vs. Oxbridge

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

St. Andrews vs. Oxbridge

Postby Ragamuffin_artist on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:34 pm

Does anyone happen to know just how well the University of St. Andrews compares academically to Oxford or Cambridge? Not something I loose sleep over, yet I do wonder from time to time.
Ragamuffin_artist

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:04 pm

Depends if you mean in research, teaching, or public opinion.

Research has a very good standard scale to choose from, and we are graded department by department so it is a question of, "which department?"

Teaching - I really don't know if there is a standard teaching review. I know there is an external teaching review, but whether or not its a Scotland only thing I have no idea.

If you mean public opinion then, fuck knows. No one knows. Read 20 different University review guides and they'll all say a different thing.

[hr]

[s]Warning : The sinner is a plateau, with moral high ground manifesting itself as an optical illusion in the the bearers mind.[/s]
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:06 pm

I know, but I'm not going to tell you.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby KateBush on Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:46 am

I did my undergrad in St Andrews, and now do some teaching of undergrads in Oxford.

The workloads are quite different. In St A, I had to write 4 essays of 2,500 words in a 12 week semester.

In Oxford, each week students typically write one, two or occasionally three essays of up to 2,500 words.

However- our essays count towards final course marks, whereas Oxford is entirely dependent on finals; and their terms are only 8 weeks.

[hr]

Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby 777 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:26 pm

Quoting rob 'f*ck off' wine boy from 16:06, 22nd Feb 2008
I know, but I'm not going to tell you.

Wow, world class minds etc etc.

[hr]

You're not pinning it on me - I didn't did it!
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Re:

Postby Ashley on Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:47 pm

I love St Andrews; I really do.

And it's a very good university. But when it comes to public opinion I think it's necessary to escape from the St Andrews bubble mentality a bit.

Public opinion says St Andrews is very good whereas Oxbridge is internationally renowned. Barring the Ivy League perhaps, they're the two most famous universities in the world and St Andrews doesn't compare. Sorry.

But smile. Public opinion means nothing when you're still at the best university in the world. :)

[hr]

Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Gealle on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:22 pm

Bear in mind also that we're more utterly unique in our demographical make up and location than any other decent uni in the UK. 16,000 people... more than a third connected to the uni... in a town with three real streets (four at a push if you count the Scores).

Best place in the world :)

Quoting Ashley from 20:47, 25th Feb 2008
I love St Andrews; I really do.

And it's a very good university. But when it comes to public opinion I think it's necessary to escape from the St Andrews bubble mentality a bit.

Public opinion says St Andrews is very good whereas Oxbridge is internationally renowned. Barring the Ivy League perhaps, they're the two most famous universities in the world and St Andrews doesn't compare. Sorry.

But smile. Public opinion means nothing when you're still at the best university in the world. :)

[hr]

Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day

[hr]

Oh... I didn't realise it would explode.
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:23 pm

And many of us can use unique properly in a sentence.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Hevelius on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:55 pm

Quoting ragamuffin_artist from 14:34, 22nd Feb 2008
Not something I loose sleep over, yet I do wonder from time to time.

Not all of us know the difference between 'lose' and 'loose' though ;-)
Hevelius

Re:

Postby Ragamuffin_artist on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Quoting Hevelius from 23:55, 25th Feb 2008
Quoting ragamuffin_artist from 14:34, 22nd Feb 2008
Not something I loose sleep over, yet I do wonder from time to time.

Not all of us know the difference between 'lose' and 'loose' though ;-)

Oops.
Ragamuffin_artist

Return to The Sinner's Main Board