Home

TheSinner.net

Time for a NEW RECTOR

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Information

Postby Guest on Sat May 17, 2008 5:20 pm

If you are interested in running a candidate for Rector, then please email me on ojm4. I can forward you a copy of 'The Rector's Handbook' which is a comprehensive guide to the role, and is an ideal introduction for you to send to any candidate you are approaching. I can also advise on the exact process for this year's elections / dates etc.

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun May 18, 2008 8:43 am

There's a handbook? That's odd. Because up until now each rector has defined the role differently, and that's exactly how it should be.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Tweedle-Dum on Sun May 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Has anyone tried Donald Trump, he likes Scotland, Golf, and is rich?

[hr]

Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tetragrammaton is a four letter word.
Tweedle-Dum

Re:

Postby Oli on Sun May 18, 2008 11:19 pm

Perhaps it should be used as a guide, detailing all the Simon, Ben and Olly have done over the past three years?

I think it's great that the information has been put in written form so that many more people can find out about what the rector does, and can do.

Might mean that we get more nominations and suggestions for people who are actually eligible, rather than merely celebrities because someone thinks it would be cool to have them as a rector.

[s]P.S. Damned near killed 'er[/s]

[hr]

[s]In July of this year I shall be walking 78 miles in 6 days in aid of the Joseph Salmon Trust, a charity founded by my friends in memorial to their son Joseph who died aged 3 in April of 2005. Please look at the link below for further details and consider sponsoring me. Thank you.
Donate: http://www.justgiving.com/thedaleswalk (please mention 'Oli' in the comments when donating)
http://www.thejosephsalmontrust.org.uk [/s]
Oli

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sun May 18, 2008 11:42 pm

I'm sure that would be riveting, but if it covers only this rector it's scarcely a comprehensive guide - and might put off as many candidates as it attracts.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby classydriver on Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 am

To put exnihilo's mind at rest, it is a guide that has been put together by the Rector's Group. The Group was formed by Simon, and membership includes all of the Rectors, Rector's Assessors (if an institution has one) and usually a sabbatical from the Students' Association (SRC in Glasgow's case).

Although Simon did write a lot of the guide, input has been had from all of the other institutions, particularly highlighting traditions surrounding that institution's Rector and the role that they play within that institution.

The document has been received by the University Court's of these institutions and has been warmly received as a useful and insightful guide to the role and responsibilities of Rector.
classydriver

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon May 19, 2008 8:50 pm

I have now seen it. It's pretty good - I'm concerned that there's no reference in it to either Aberdeen or Dundee, and I can only assume it was just someone from SRC in Glasgow's case as Mordecai could scarcely make it, and they have no Assessor. I'm also a tad concerned that things which are stated as being "invariable" are nothing of the sort, Simon is very unusual in having advertised for his Assessors, and we have had plenty of non-student Assessors too.

Otherwise, a useful introduction, I suppose, but lacking in any real basis beyond the experience of the present Rector. I continue to have reservations about codifying the job as every Rector brings his own very distinctive style, and too many specifics are ammunition down the line when the various universities make another attempt to get rid of the Rectors altogether.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby classydriver on Tue May 20, 2008 11:49 am

I can explain the lack of Aberdeen- They have requested a change to the Ordinance that places the Rector as the President of the Aberdeen Court. The Rector would still have the right to be President, if elected by the lay members.

It also appears that substantial ground work was done with the sabbaticals and senior student officials to convince them this was the right move. They are not, nor do not want to, object to this move. They were sold down the river with a story of how "the Rector can be more of an advocate for the students on court if he isn't in the chair."
classydriver

Re:

Postby away on Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 pm

Quoting classydriver from 12:49, 20th May 2008
It also appears that substantial ground work was done with the sabbaticals and senior student officials to convince them this was the right move. They are not, nor do not want to, object to this move. They were sold down the river with a story of how "the Rector can be more of an advocate for the students on court if he isn't in the chair."

Wow, I'm surprised they swallowed that one!
away

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue May 20, 2008 9:42 pm

This is why I think the only thing that should be written down anywhere for the role of the Rector is "chairs the University Court".
exnihilo

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Wed May 21, 2008 2:40 pm

Unfortunately, owing to Clement and other former Rectors' performances at other - and I do stress other - institutions there have been numerous attempts to unseat the Rector from chair - particularly both here and at Aberdeen. I'm not casting any judgement on Sir Clement, I thought he brought a lot to the role, but the moves to unseat Rector from Chair do stem from his time. Indeed, historically there have been moves to unseat Scottish Rectors from chair going back some 50 years - ranging from government to individual Court members attempts. I should also add that there are currently significant components on all Scottish Courts with Rectors that don't like a student elected or in Edinburgh's case student/staff elected chairing Court. It comes down frequently to disagreements over what constitutes good governance (many governors would prefer a business model) and interpretation of statute: one of the main issues being the division of roles between University chairmans and the Rector. Statute reads that the Rector 'presides' over Court Meetings, which although this blatantly means chair - there are those that disagree.

With references to the handbook, stipulations such as Rectors must attend a majority of Court meetings per year are basic safeguards for the position. Surely it bodes well for the position of Rector and student representation, if candidates that get in for the running understand that it is a serious role with time commitments to which they must be able to adhere. To get the University to accept and support other roles of the Rector bolsters the position.

I'm happy to say that this has been resolved at St Andrews (for the present) though things haven't boded so well in Aberdeen.

I realise and know that every Rector is different, with their own specialities and skills and profiles that they can lend to the student body, but they must be able to chair the Court competently or the main point of their position, which I argue is to safeguard student interests and representation, is lost.

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed May 21, 2008 2:50 pm

I agree, that's why I think the only part that should be laid down is chairing court. Is that not what I said?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Wed May 21, 2008 3:36 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 15:50, 21st May 2008
I agree, that's why I think the only part that should be laid down is chairing court. Is that not what I said?

Hello Tobias, hope you're well. I wasn't responding directly to you.

[hr]

BenEsq

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Wed May 21, 2008 6:51 pm

You know, I think I'd make an excellent rector.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed May 21, 2008 7:14 pm

{Damn near killed 'er!}

[hr]

[s]In July of this year I shall be walking 78 miles in 6 days in aid of the Joseph Salmon Trust, a charity founded by my friends in memorial to their son Joseph who died aged 3 in April of 2005. Please look at the link below for further details and consider sponsoring me. Thank you.
Donate: http://www.justgiving.com/thedaleswalk (please mention 'Oli' in the comments when donating)
Thackary

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed May 21, 2008 7:48 pm

We saw first time round.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Thackary on Wed May 21, 2008 9:02 pm

Ah, but it's still funny.

[hr]

Thackary

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed May 21, 2008 9:13 pm

dis r 'repuhtishn'
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Eliot Wilson on Thu May 22, 2008 2:05 pm

Quoting thackary from 22:02, 21st May 2008
Ah, but it's still funny.

It's certainly as funny as it was.

[hr]

Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Bill and Ted beat the Grim Reaper at Twister

Bill: "You played very well, Death, especially with your totally heavy Death robes."

Death: "Don't patronise me."
Eliot Wilson

Re:

Postby James Shield on Tue May 27, 2008 12:04 am

Any more ideas?

Oh, and if you have the contact details of potential candidates who might have shown interest in running in previous elections, please feel free to forward them to me on jws22.

James Shield
Director of Representation 2008-09
James Shield

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board