Home

TheSinner.net

Describe the origins of your username

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Describe the origins of your username

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:10 pm

We've had quite a few of these over the years, but since we have many new members I thought it'd be nice to ask again.

What does your username mean, or where does it come from?

MUNCHING

munching squares /n./

A display hack dating back to the PDP-1 (ca. 1962, reportedly discovered by Jackson Wright), which employs a trivial computation (repeatedly plotting the graph Y = X XOR T for successive values of T -- see HAKMEM items 146--148) to produce an impressive display of moving and growing squares that devour the screen. The initial value of T is treated as a parameter, which, when well-chosen, can produce amazing effects. Some of these, later (re)discovered on the LISP machine, have been christened `munching triangles' (try AND for XOR and toggling points instead of plotting them), `munching w's', and `munching mazes'. More generally, suppose a graphics program produces an impressive and ever-changing display of some basic form, foo, on a display terminal, and does it using a relatively simple program; then the program (or the resulting display) is likely to be referred to as `munching foos'. [This is a good example of the use of the word foo as a metasyntactic variable.]

FOO

1. /interj./ Term of disgust. 2. Used very generally as a sample name for absolutely anything, esp. programs and files (esp. scratch files). 3. First on the standard list of metasyntactic variables used in syntax examples

Here's a really good example of it in action (this is browser based, it won't fuck your computer :P)

http://home.earthlink.net/~rrs0/Munchin ... ch9bw.html

[hr]

[s]Warning : The sinner is a plateau, with moral high ground manifesting itself as an optical illusion in the the bearers mind.[/s]
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby orudge on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:11 pm

Some years ago, I had to come up with a username for my e-mail address. I figured taking the first letter of my first name, combined with my last name, would do. It's pretty much stuck with me ever since. Boring, perhaps, but functional. :P

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Handy that, when one's name is uncommon. I seem to have no trouble getting my initials and surname without any irksome numbers or underscores. Which is nice.

My username on here is Latin, obviously, and means "out of nothing". Though previously I have used my name, and it was my name.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:24 pm

A nickname. My name is Dom, short for Dominic.

I like Power Metal. I like underscores.

Next.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Frank on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:38 pm

Frank.

My name is Frank. As is my username. Didn't take a genius, obviously.

It's not my usual username for most of web-based life, but as it stands, I'm good with this.

As it happens, I can count two times now in St Andrews life that I've introduced myself and folks have said "As in Frank on the Sinner?", how amusing! Who'd have thought?

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:41 pm

I think I was obsessed with Mary, Queen of Scots at the time!

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

Re:

Postby Telinar on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Name of a Dwarven character on Neverwinter Nights, that's since stuck as a username.

[hr]

http://telinar-beln.deviantart.com or http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37105240
Telinar

Re:

Postby Garnet on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:47 pm

from final fantasy 9 i believe, it's the name of the princess :P

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby ka25 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:04 pm

my university user name thing that went at the front of my e-mail address. Really boring

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102222
ka25

Re:

Postby fat bastard on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:08 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 16:10, 6th Mar 2008

MUNCHING

munching squares /n./

A display hack dating back to the PDP-1 (ca. 1962, reportedly discovered by Jackson Wright), which employs a trivial computation (repeatedly plotting the graph Y = X XOR T for successive values of T -- see HAKMEM items 146--148) to produce an impressive display of moving and growing squares that devour the screen. The initial value of T is treated as a parameter, which, when well-chosen, can produce amazing effects. Some of these, later (re)discovered on the LISP machine, have been christened `munching triangles' (try AND for XOR and toggling points instead of plotting them), `munching w's', and `munching mazes'. More generally, suppose a graphics program produces an impressive and ever-changing display of some basic form, foo, on a display terminal, and does it using a relatively simple program; then the program (or the resulting display) is likely to be referred to as `munching foos'. [This is a good example of the use of the word foo as a metasyntactic variable.]

GEEEK

oh and mine is because i am overweight (according to the BMI which is a lot of shit anyway) and a bastard, as evidenced by this post
fat bastard

Re:

Postby Saoirse on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:08 pm

It's my name, and not one that is likely to be already in use
Saoirse

Re:

Postby juiciestbabygurl on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:12 pm

I used to go to an under 18s club years ago and my favourtite song they played was Alicia Keys - Juiciest.
Because it was my fav song, everyone used to dance round me when it came on and everyone at the club called me juiciest baby gurl. So it stuck with me and still sometimes when I meet old friends they call me Juicy.

ahh.. the good old days
juiciestbabygurl

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:28 pm

Its my name; sadly. I would use my full name but Humphrey_falconer_marshal_clarke would take up most of the thread.

[hr]

http://humphreyclarke.blogspot.com/
http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

Re:

Postby Jen the Phantom Hobbit of on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:32 pm

My name and two of my many obsessions, which I have been likened to at times due to me eating a lot and likign the countryside, and me singing a lot (but not kidnapping/murder).

[hr]

The voices in my head tell me I'm not insane ... but everyone else does.
Jen the Phantom Hobbit of

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:53 pm

Hennessy, because I recently visited the town in Ireland the original Mr Hennessy came from, to attend a wedding, and because, as I type, there is a 3/4 full bottle of it still in its case on the shelf opposite, next to a half bottle of absinthe, purchased to investigate the pyschoactive effects of the wormwood in it, or so I tell myself.
Oh yeah and I'm generally a rather lonely and miserable alcoholic.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:51 pm

Manic - A nickname given to me as a child by my cousin, derivative from the really shit but highly addictive commodore 64 game Manic Miner

23 - The day of the month on which I was born (December, incidently, should anyone want to buy me a cake.)

Sadly, NOT. VERY. INTERESTING.
Manic23

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:02 pm

people thought I was funny at the time.

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:37 pm

I talk a lot of shit and am heavily rumoured to molest children.
thePontificator

Re:

Postby Rilla on Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:45 pm

One of my most absolutey favourite childrens' books:
http://www.amazon.com/Rilla-Ingleside-A ... 0553269224

Rilla of Ingleside. Still makes me cry every time that I read it.

[hr]

Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Be good to yourself because nobody else has the power to make you happy.
Rilla

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:56 pm

A nickname given to me by a religious studies teacher about a million years ago when I maintained that being an atheist did not exclude me from believing in the concept of a God. I enjoy humming it to myself to the tune of 'Smooth Criminal'.

[thinks loudly] [s]You've been touched by/ You've been hit by/ The Bizarre Atheist[/s] [/thinks loudly]

Crikey I really am rather odd.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board