Home

TheSinner.net

Best Threads Ever

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Best Threads Ever

Postby Ragamuffin_artist on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Perhaps a "best of the Sinner" thread is pushing the limits of good sense, but a compilation of the greatest hits has the potential to be amusing...and may even help prolong the lives of posts which we all thought (indeed hoped) were dead.

As for me, I'm not actually on The Sinner that much to really be an authority. But simply for the sake of casting a vote, I'll go with the worst movies ever thread.
http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... read=25506

I suppose a runner-up might be when Oli tried to get us to post 1000 replies in a single weekend back in summer 06...but now I guess I may be pushing it...
Ragamuffin_artist

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:18 pm

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:45 am

If it hadn't been a shameful failure, then the top norks thread would easily have made the list.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
-Welcome to The Sinner. Sorry about your thin skin.
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Big X on Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:58 pm

easy winner right here:

http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... read=24093

[hr]

"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
"Never apologise for showing feeling, in doing so you apologise for truth" Disraeli
Big X

Re:

Postby Ragamuffin_artist on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:02 pm

Actually, I think a good winner would be the ghosts in St. Andrews thread. I can't be bothered to find the link...it showed up about a year or so ago.
Ragamuffin_artist

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:34 pm

Surely that 'New Hall girl wanted' double-bed thing deserves a place somewhere? Although 'best' might be stretching it, mostly it was noteworthy for the gigantic argument with (I think) Agnus Dei. It beggared belief, if nothing else.

Edit:
Here it is:
http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... hread=8522

It deteriorates into abuse within one reply and just spirals from there.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:15 pm

Christ.

I'm quite embarrassed after re-reading that. In our defence (I'm sure Campbell would back me up, where he here) it was tremendously easy to get sucked into.
Manic23

Re:

Postby sabra_girl on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Ah, memories...

[hr]

"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)
"There are not very many desires in life which we can actually meet. For instance, 'I want to meet the love of my life'. Probably not today! But 'I want a cup of coffee.' That I can do!" Chris Thile (Nickel Creek)
sabra_girl

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Quoting sabra_girl from 14:36, 9th Mar 2008
Ah, memories...

[hr]

Hi Sabra, long time no speak.

How's Chris these days? Still asking after me?
Manic23

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:22 pm

Quoting Manic23 from 18:15, 8th Mar 2008
Christ.

I'm quite embarrassed after re-reading that. In our defence (I'm sure Campbell would back me up, where he here) it was tremendously easy to get sucked into.

Hehe. It actually is hilarious to read! :D

[hr]

Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby queen of scots on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:40 pm

I can't believe it's 4 years old! Where has the time gone?!

[hr]

Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

IMAGE:www.boarhills.f2s.com/ff.gif

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37100070
queen of scots

best threads ever

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:51 pm

Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:28 pm

Quoting Amorphous from 15:34, 8th Mar 2008
Surely that 'New Hall girl wanted' double-bed thing deserves a place somewhere? Although 'best' might be stretching it, mostly it was noteworthy for the gigantic argument with (I think) Agnus Dei. It beggared belief, if nothing else.

Edit:
Here it is:
http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... hread=8522

It deteriorates into abuse within one reply and just spirals from there.

Did anyone ever work out who agnus was? If this thread was anything to go by,

http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... hread=8303

he was Jaspal Dhadwal. But that has been edited so it could be a random's address.

Edit:

He uses it again here:

http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... hread=8128

So i guess that's who it was.

[hr]

“Argue with an idiot long enough and people will fail to see the difference”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Manic23 on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:58 am

Spot on. He turned out to be in one of my 3rd year modules, and was as big a twat as you would imagine him to be.

Just my opinion likes.
Manic23

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:04 am

Quoting munchingfoo from 23:28, 9th Mar 2008
Did anyone ever work out who agnus was? If this thread was anything to go by,

http://www.thesinner.net/messageboard-v ... hread=8303

he was Jaspal Dhadwal. But that has been edited so it could be a random's address.

Yeah, I remember digging around for that when I first discovered the thread a few years ago. The thing that gets me - in a morbid fascination sort of way - is that if you look at his early posts he seems fairly intelligent, if a bit opinionated. There's no real sign of the incredibly angry little boy who surfaces in the 'New Hall bed' thread.

I suppose it's both a blessing and a curse of being a Psychology student that I can be fascinated by the tiniest things...

Oh, and another 'legendary' thread to consider has got to be A Thread By Any Other Name, which seems to rear its head every 6 months or so.

[hr]

If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Frank on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:27 am

I'd like to nominate anything with good old (memorised-bible) Paul involved. Those were always interesting threads for drawing people out of the woodwork, as I remember...

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:19 pm

Quoting Amorphous from 10:04, 10th Mar 2008
There's no real sign of the incredibly angry little boy who surfaces in the 'New Hall bed' thread.

Perhaps he lost his penis in an electrical fire. These things happen you know.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby beeny on Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Quoting Manic23 from 08:58, 10th Mar 2008
Spot on. He turned out to be in one of my 3rd year modules, and was as big a twat as you would imagine him to be.

Just my opinion likes.

daddy dearest, i'm impressed that even after you've left that comes up as one of the best threads ever :)

was that the one you and Campbell went on about waaaay back when I was a first year?

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Re:

Postby Ian McFarlane on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:39 am

The best thread ever? There is no debate, Mr Eliot Wilson's Formal Dress thread cannot be beaten.
Ian McFarlane

Return to The Sinner's Main Board