Home

TheSinner.net

Assault

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Assault

Postby JohnMac on Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:00 am

Tonight I was assaulted outside of Beanscene. I was punched in the face and quickly ran away. Some kind people asked if I was OK and I didn't really have time to answer.

I am pressing charges on the people involved and was wondering if anyone who saw me being punched would be willing to give a statement to the police.

If you are then please email me on 'jam69'.

Thanks very much!
JohnMac

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:19 am

Whats happening to this little towwn? Or is it just people in general? I had assumed that most people around here would have enough intelligence to resolve differences without violence!

I've seen and heard of more violence since Christmas than I have in the previous 6 years i'ved lived here.

[hr]

[s]Warning : The sinner is a plateau, with moral high ground manifesting itself as an optical illusion in the the bearers mind.[/s]
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:50 am

Did you provoke it in any way? Seems to me an odd thing for someone to step out of beanscene, of all places, and get hit by an anonymous flying fist.
When did you get hit precisely?
What direction down bell street did the assailant go?

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby JohnMac on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:16 pm

I wasn't hit by a Beanscene customer as it was about 1am. I didn't povoke it (not only because I am a wimp - but also because they were bigger than me). Basically they barged past me and I said that they could have said 'excuse me'. They then asked if I was wanting a fight and I assured them that I was not. Then they punched me.

I ran away in a very dignified and manly manner and got the police who were outside 'Gorgeous'.

The three men then walked towards Madras college and turned towards the Westport.

If anyone saw them or me. Please let me know!
JohnMac

Re:

Postby bdw on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:46 pm

[quote]Quoting munchingfoo from 09:19, 7th Mar 2008
Whats happening to this little towwn? Or is it just people in general? I had assumed that most people around here would have enough intelligence to resolve differences without violence!

I've seen and heard of more violence since Christmas than I have in the previous 6 years i'ved lived here.
[quote]

Back in the day, when Braveheart first came out (and had its marathon 16 week run in screen 1 at the NPH), there was all sorts of tabloid [ie Chronicle] outrage over a marked increase in town-gown batterings in the town. Though this amounted to less than a quiet weekday night out in Aldershot, from the editorials you would have thought the Kinburn Park bowling green had become the second Bannockburn and the Lade Braes was foaming with blood.
bdw

Re:

Postby schmod on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:04 pm

If the police were outside Gorgeous, how on Earth did they not see the entire incident, or run after the guy?
schmod

Re:

Postby Paul Carey on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:23 pm

Quoting bdw from 12:46, 7th Mar 2008

Back in the day, when Braveheart first came out (and had its marathon 16 week run in screen 1 at the NPH)*,

*We never ran Braveheart for 16 weeks :)

[hr]

Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Re:

Postby o_t4ng on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:51 pm

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/toys/glaSurvivalGame.html

Sorry, this isn't helpful.
Hope you get it sorted :)

[hr]

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

Tight jeans, an expensive haircut and a MySpace account does not make you emo! Go fix your eyeliner!!

[img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/tracks/o_t4ng.gif[/img]
o_t4ng

Re:

Postby bdw on Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:54 pm

apologies Paul - I of course meant 26 weeks...[img]littleicons/yellowhappyface.gif[/img]

Obviously wasn't all that long in truth but it felt to me at the time like, short of David Lean rising from the grave and directing a star-studded intergalactic romantic epic with fist fights galore and a sprinkling of light nudity, no other film would ever shift Braveheart from its residency in screen 1.

Having said all of that, it was still infinitely preferable to the time Loch sodding Ness (starring Ted "marginally more successful than Steve Guttenberg" Danson) put its roots down at the NPH for the best part of a month...

Sorry, rant over, as you were - assault, you say?
bdw

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:48 pm

Jesus bdw how long have you been stuck in this two star town? Must be a bit like "Life on Mars", going all the way back to '95, any second Gene Hunt will screech past in his beige Cortina.

[hr]

"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Re:

Postby bdw on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:25 am

Like the image!! If it were '95, though, it'd probably be a Ford Probe instead, with Black Grape's 'In the name of the father' blaring away...

I left yonks back. My point was just that the enthusiasm of the NPH for Scottish and Scottish-themed cinema, while understandable and thoroughly commendable, was not always infectious! Still my favourite all-time cinema though.
bdw

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:35 am

I think this town needs a bit of Gene Hunt justice, just to make this slightly more relevant to the OPs complaint. The short and stubby arm of Fife's Finest only seems able to reach to disrupting perfectly legal beach parties atm, I've been here a year and that's the only example of a "police crackdown" I've ever seen!

[hr]

"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:49 pm

It sounds like typical townie scum behaviour to me. If it was a student from St Andrews they really need to start interviewing people, or at least shooting people who do such things.

I hate to be picky but technically you weren't assaulted, you were the victim of battery.
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Out of general interest, what are the technical differences?
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby TheUnixKid on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:53 pm

Technically assault is where a person causes another person to apprehend immediate and unlawful personal violence.

Battery is the actual use of force to another person.

Generally the two go hand in hand because if someone comes up to you and punches you, for the first few moments it's probably quite obvious what they are going to do, especially if they say "i'm going to punch you" etc.

If JohnMac knew he was going to get punched it's likely the person would be charged with both, if he didn't see it coming it would just be battery.

I hope that makes sense!
TheUnixKid

Re:

Postby Duffman on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:49 pm

Quoting TheUnixKid from 17:53, 8th Mar 2008
Technically assault is where a person causes another person to apprehend immediate and unlawful personal violence.

That's English law. I think Scottish law rolls them into one offense of assault.
Don't dream too far,
Don't lose sight of who you are.
Duffman

Re:

Postby Mr_Big_Dave on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:40 am

Quoting TheUnixKid from 17:53, 8th Mar 2008

Generally the two go hand in hand because if someone comes up to you and punches you, for the first few moments it's probably quite obvious what they are going to do, especially if they say "i'm going to punch you" etc.

If JohnMac knew he was going to get punched it's likely the person would be charged with both, if he didn't see it coming it would just be battery.

I hope that makes sense!

Battery is not recognised in scots law. He would simply be charged with assault, which is defined as: an attack on the person of another done with intent to cause personal injury.

So, if you're going to be picky, at least know what you're talking about.

You might also be interested to know that a male cannot be raped in scotland, tort doesn't exist and we have 3 possible verdicts: guilty, not guilty and not proven.
Mr_Big_Dave

Re:

Postby ParisInTheAutumn on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:08 am

a man can't be raped?
ParisInTheAutumn

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:04 am

Quoting parisintheautumn from 10:08, 9th Mar 2008
a man can't be raped?

I was raped by a woman once. Best feeling ever!

[hr]

"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Al on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:00 pm

Quoting parisintheautumn from 10:08, 9th Mar 2008
a man can't be raped?

It's not recognised as rape under Scots Law.
Al

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board