Home

TheSinner.net

HATS?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

HATS?

Postby wankyspanky on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:23 am

I can't help it but hats went out of fashion with lead paint and rubella. Baseball caps are fine, beanies too, provided they are not worn just above the eyes and whilst indoors, but fedoras, Panama, or any other old style variety just make you look like a tit. Even the wide brim 'country' hats are stupid - don't get me started on waistcoats. Rant over, anyone agree?
wankyspanky

Re:

Postby Freaker on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:16 am

Nope, I disagree :) .

I'd like to think of it the opposite way around, really, and don't really think that Baseball caps are just fine...

[hr]

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
Freaker

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:17 am

Quoting wankyspanky from 20:49, 9th Mar 2008
I can't help it but hats went out of fashion with lead paint and rubella. Baseball caps are fine, beanies too, provided they are not worn just above the eyes and whilst indoors, but fedoras, Panama, or any other old style variety just make you look like a tit. Even the wide brim 'country' hats are stupid - don't get me started on waistcoats. Rant over, anyone agree?

Yes, I'd like to disagree. Should I take a number?

I assume that by 'waistcoat' you are referring to the vest portion of a three piece suit, in which case you couldn't be more wrong. The 3-piecer has had a remarkable comeback in the last half-decade or so. I remember trying to find one back in 2001 and having a horrible time, but now they've become one of those things that 'every guy is supposed to have' for those formal, but not too formal, occassions.

As for hats... 'cowboy' hats worn for fashion are rather silly, particular if you are in St Andrews. Out in the American West, however, they are a functional hat. Get yourself a bad case of sunburn on the back of you neck and you'll understand what I mean.

As for other hats going out of style... I blame 'Big Hair' in the 80's and the general decline in men's understanding of what constitutes style.

[hr]

Self-control is the chief element of self-respect; self-respect is the chief element of courage. - Thucydides
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby kernowdaydreamer on Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:33 am

I agree with Freaker and LonelyPilgrim. And I'm not just saying that because I couldn't bring myself to say the phrase 'I agree with Wankyspanky', although I could see that happening.
kernowdaydreamer

Re:

Postby mhuzzell on Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:29 am

Baseball caps are fine if you're playing baseball, or if you're a Red-Blooded American Guy (same thing), but they're pretty ugly otherwise.

Fedoras, trilbies, top-hats (my kingdom for a Lincoln-style stovepipe hat!), sailor caps, weird old-fashioned ladies hats (the sillier the better!), tricornes, berets, and, yes, even bowlers -- these things are all class.

However, as a point of manners I must agree: men's hats should be removed indoors. That's men's hats, mind, not men's hats. Fedoras, trilbies, top-hats, bowlers, etc. A ladies' hat may be worn indoors, no matter what the gender of the person wearing it.

[hr]

I FOUND JESUS... he was behind the couch the whole time!
mhuzzell

Re:

Postby ONeill on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:24 pm

The Fedora should return again this year when Indiana Jones lands at the cinema.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37108339

"Hypnosis. You know, I'm not a big fan of that bark-like-a-chicken, cluck-like-a-dog stuff."
ONeill

Re:

Postby eagle on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:10 pm

Some say the fedora has never left!

I agree that there should be more hats, but where does one buy them from? And who owns a bowler in this town anyway?
eagle

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:31 pm

Hats are great. Baseball caps are not.

Waistcoats are fabulous, the look good and they are practical. However, too many modern suits have deeply, deeply ugly waistcoats and too many people just wear them so wrongly and they look abominable.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:59 pm

I love my fedora, I don't wear it out much though. I'd like a bowler and a trilby too.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
-Welcome to The Sinner. Sorry about your thin skin.
Duggeh

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 pm

I have a crappy felt and cardboard bowler hat, I'd much less wear it out than a good fedora, of which I have three. The difficulty is that hats rarely make one look good in a hatless society, too often you just look pretentious, although I know a few people who get away with it rather well.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Tigger on Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:18 pm

Cowboy Hats should only be worn by Cowboys. In texas. If they are working.
That is all.

[hr]

My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
Tigger

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:12 pm

I have a bowler, and I wear it out occasionally. The last outing was the staff Christmas party, at the Golf Hotel.
Thackary

Re:

Postby kernowdaydreamer on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:39 pm

I love my trilby, which I inherited. I used to have this silk top hat, though it did have a whole in it. Unfortunately some bastard stole it at the Opening Ball when I was an innocent little first year, and hadn't learnt the tough ways of St Andrews. RAGE!!! Refer to this explanation if ever I am to be found posting bitter thoughts on the Sinner.
kernowdaydreamer

Re:

Postby Wonderboy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:40 pm

I've seen this guy with a Russian Ushanka (those furry ones with the ear flaps) hat - does anyone really think that is appropriate?
How 'bout the power to kill a yak? from two hundred yards away!
with mind bullets!
Wonderboy

Re:

Postby mhuzzell on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Not only appropriate, but fabulous.

[hr]

mhuzzell

Re:

Postby Jen the Phantom Hobbit of on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:53 pm

I love my hat. Everyone recognises me in it, even when I am in London, or Rome. And when I don't wear it no one recognises me. And it's very useful, being waterproof.

[hr]

The voices in my head tell me I'm not insane ... but everyone else does.
Jen the Phantom Hobbit of

Re:

Postby the Empress on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:16 pm

I LOVE hats:D As I kid I always went to the hat section of stores and tried them on. And I still do. Hat trying-on is inherently fun. Plus, going to vintage clothing stores and finding a cool hat? ACE. I own a bunch of random hats, but sadly look (even) dorkier in them. I'm waiting for someone I know to get married, just so I can wear a fancy hat. Besides, who wouldn't feel happy wearing a tricorne hat or even better, a sombrero?
the Empress

Re:

Postby Jason Dunn on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:18 pm

Quoting mhuzzell from 11:29, 10th Mar 2008

However, as a point of manners I must agree: men's hats should be removed indoors.

More or less. Though a hat should of course be removed in homes and restaurants there is no need to remove hats in shops, lobbies, taxis or trains. I suppose the rule is if you are going to sit down, excluding transport situations, the hat should be removed, .
Jason Dunn

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:21 pm

Quoting Wonderboy from 20:40, 10th Mar 2008
I've seen this guy with a Russian Ushanka (those furry ones with the ear flaps) hat - does anyone really think that is appropriate?

I find it very comfortable, thankyou!
I like the way the long strings on the flaps get caught by the wind and slap pedestrians that get too close, it's never hard clearing a path down market street even on a weekend.
[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby MJC on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:38 am

Quoting Wonderboy from 20:40, 10th Mar 2008

Hilarious, I think there might be a few of us in this town with those hats. I've had nothing but praise for it, thank you very much.
MJC

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board