Home

TheSinner.net

Death

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Death

Postby Verdandi on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:15 pm

If you were to find out that you only had seven more years to live would you still be working towards your degree? If yes, why? If no, what would you be doing?
Verdandi

Re:

Postby Han on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:21 pm

Yes - I only have about two months to go and it would be a shame to have wasted the last four years...
Han

Re:

Postby floatingonmycloud on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:41 pm

Yes because I graduate soon too, 7 years is quite a long time, 7 weeks maybe it would be different! I'd go to all the places in the world I want to.
floatingonmycloud

Re:

Postby Garnet on Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:21 pm

Quoting Verdandi from 20:15, 14th Mar 2008
If you were to find out that you only had seven more years to live would you still be working towards your degree? If yes, why? If no, what would you be doing?

probably not i'd get too restless and need to find a better distraction or something more fulfilling. Out of interest why did you choose seven years???

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:10 am

I'm guessing it's not because seven years in Classical Greek culture was considered one of the seven stages of a man's life?

Quoting garnet from 22:21, 14th Mar 2008

probably not i'd get too restless and need to find a better distraction or something more fulfilling. Out of interest why did you choose seven years???

[hr]

[hr]

So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

Gealle

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:11 am

If I were still at university, of course! What else is there to do? Quit and get a job? Having seven years to live doesn't automatically give one the money to afford a playboy lifestyle after all. Besides, living somewhere with a high concentration of intelligent people and a low level of responsibility is a rare treat...

[hr]

Self-control is the chief element of self-respect; self-respect is the chief element of courage. - Thucydides
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:25 pm

Err I'd try to find a cure for this curious "seven year disease", and spend the rest of my life helping out or at least raising awareness of it so I can get a government grant. Might not help me but it could certainly help other sufferers of the terrible disease!

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:46 pm

7 years, 70 years. Does it really make a difference?

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby KateBush on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Up that stakes then....7 days or better still, 7 hours

[hr]

Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
Intelligence can leap the hurdles which nature has set before us- Livy
KateBush

Re:

Postby Verdandi on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Well, it is part of several philosophies that life runs in seven year cycles. It could also be the seven deadly sins. But mainly, I was hoping to get answers from a variety of students ranging from first through fifth years and wanted to give them enough time to finish their degree and still have a couple years if they so chose. The point wasn't the time limit but the fact that there was a time limit; if your time on earth had a known limit would you change what you are doing? So feel free to "up the stakes" if you so chose. This is more about seeing what is important to people and what they feel they need to accomplish in their life.

Quoting Gealle from 01:10, 15th Mar 2008
I'm guessing it's not because seven years in Classical Greek culture was considered one of the seven stages of a man's life?

Quoting garnet from 22:21, 14th Mar 2008

[hr]

[hr]

Verdandi

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Quoting Verdandi from 18:06, 15th Mar 2008
The point wasn't the time limit but the fact that there was a time limit; if your time on earth had a known limit would you change what you are doing? So feel free to "up the stakes" if you so chose. This is more about seeing what is important to people and what they feel they need to accomplish in their life.

Everyone's time on Earth already is limited and since you say the limit does not matter then all you're really asking is "what are you going to do with your life"?

And I'll do whatever I want, whether I've got 7 seconds or 7 decades.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby iab2 on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:43 pm

I wouldn't quit if I had seven hours left, only because I know that if I did I would spend most of these hours filling out forms and talking to supervisors to actually be allowed to leave. Better to die without them knowing and let them clear up the paper afterwards.

[hr]

http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/104233.html
iab2

Re:

Postby the Empress on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:47 pm

Well if I had 7 years or less. . I'd finish my degree as I've only got a month to go. And then I'd sleep with a lot of people. I'd tell the people that I care about that I do in fact care about them, as I'm not great with the whole 'I love/like you' thing. I'd also write all my dog/pigeon stories down, as people seem to laugh when I tell 'em, and write little journals/scrapbooks with stupid anecdotes and pictures in so they have something to make them smile when I've snuffed it! I'd travel all around Britain and take long walks through cool places with my dogs, without stressing about having to pee outside. Because if I'm going to die soon, does it matter? I guess I'd just do stuff without agonising over what people will think, or if it's a mistake, or the potential consequences.
the Empress

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:15 am

So this is more about life goals than beating the clock.

In that case, given this is a philosophical exercise rather than a direct question, I'd try and fit everything I wanted to really do in my life into the next seven years.

Screw academic life!

I'd hit the road for a while, live off what comes along, I'd especially like to travel the old silk road from Venice all the way to Beijing on foot, with only my wits and a trusty penknife as backups. That's always been a dream of mine.

Once I reached the Orient I'd stay there a little while before working passage to North America, a continent I've never set foot on. I'd snake my way up the spine of the Rockies and through Canada, to what's left of the great wilderness, find a lovely untouched spot of pure white snow and settle down to die. Perhaps I'd leave a little memorial, but probably not, and if I died along the way somewhere then it wouldnt matter, because at least I would have died doing what I've always wanted for once.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Jono on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:24 am

If I'm going down, I'm taking all of you bastards with me!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:49 am

Perhaps if I knew down to, say, the week or maybe even day I was going to die then I'd help kill someone - a mercy killing, obviously. Put them out of their misery, take the heat for their spouse etc i.e. they wouldn't risk prison for killing them, and really, if I was to die shortly after, it wouldn't affect me in terms of imprisonment.
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby Daniel on Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:53 am

Quoting Schizophreniccabbage from 01:49, 17th Mar 2008
Perhaps if I knew down to, say, the week or maybe even day I was going to die then I'd help kill someone - a mercy killing, obviously. Put them out of their misery, take the heat for their spouse etc i.e. they wouldn't risk prison for killing them, and really, if I was to die shortly after, it wouldn't affect me in terms of imprisonment.

You freak!
Daniel

Re:

Postby s on Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:32 pm

I would of course continue my education so I could start up various ventures in the afterlife
s

Re:

Postby Raindog on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:26 pm

I would take heroin, smack drink copious amounts of alcohol shag all the hookers in the world without condoms. Rob banks party with columbian drug lords, be a mule for a drug cartel. work my way up snort all the coke known to mankind then say hello to my little fwend.
Raindog

Re:

Postby the Empress on Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Having read the other posts, I feel I need to be more ambitious in my hypothetical 7-years-before-death-from-strange-disease plan. Maybe I'd work my way through the 7 deadly sins. A nice mix of irony and self-gratifaction:D
the Empress

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board