Home

TheSinner.net

Last Night's Hecklings

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Last Night's Hecklings

Postby McK on Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:47 pm

I personally had a great time listening to all those political hopefuls rubbing massive egos and putting the knife in.

Favourite moments:

Darshan Sanghrajka deflating Dana Green's enormous ego by berating her time as president. (And the rest of her predecessors)

Ejaj Ahmad's finishing every wild, crazy promise with a deadpan "when I am president, this will be so"

But I do have to ask: "Is James Normington the lovechild of Brian Lang and Anne Widdecombe"? Just something to mull over...
McK

Re:

Postby Al on Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:11 pm

"Darshan Sanghrajka deflating Dana Green's enormous ego by berating her time as president. (And the rest of her predecessors)"

I am confused. Isn't Darshan a first year? How can he judge the actions, or inaction, of a President before his time? Or is he now adding omniscience to the ever lengthening list of his talents? I think he should stop and think before he speaks. Although, it would be even better if he would just stop.

[hr]We are near waking when we dream we are dreaming.
Al

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:19 pm

I heard that he made a fool of himself, but thats just a rumour.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby McK on Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:20 pm

Yes, he's a first year. That made it all the more hilarious! Green had been asking pertinent questions to candidates, punctuating them with "As a former President myself" and I just laughed all the way through when her pomposity was burst with some cocky first year's (very fluent) speech.
McK

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:34 pm

[s]McK wrote on 16:47, 19th Mar 2003:

Favourite moments:

Darshan Sanghrajka deflating Dana Green's enormous ego by berating her time as president. (And the rest of her predecessors)

it's a shame then, that Darshan isn't standing against Dana Green, or Marcus Booth, or Rory O'Hare, but against James North, Derek Macleod etcetera.

[hr]
whoever kills Cain will suffer a sevenfold vengeance
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Jiang on Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:46 pm

I could hardly stop pissing myself every time EJ said "THIS.CANNOT.CONTINUE" ie. every 30 seconds.

Mind you I found that the female president of the wine and cheese society with that scary dark green cloak and her pompous friends were acting very like Victorian Conservative MPs with all the foot stamping and Commons like groaning/cheering. Very odd.
Jiang

Re:

Postby James Baster on Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:50 pm

[s]Pussycat wrote on 17:19, 19th Mar 2003:
I heard that he made a fool of himself, but thats just a rumour.

And seeing as you have shown yourself to be so unbiased in your opinion of him, you thought you'd pass it on.

[hr]
[s]Come Robin. We shall leave. Through the window. Inconspicuously ... Using our batropes.[/s]
James Baster

Re:

Postby eleckto on Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:52 pm

interesting night. My first elections in st and - union was bloody freezing though. some good, funny speeches and some v.photogenic people...
eleckto

Re:

Postby Pussycat on Wed Mar 19, 2003 5:53 pm

Actually I was just wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the truth.

That's why I chose to state it as being a rumour and didn't write down the rude statement that was said to me.
Pussycat

Re:

Postby stan on Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:30 pm

[s]Pussycat wrote on 17:53, 19th Mar 2003:
Actually I was just wondering if someone could enlighten me as to the truth.

That's why I chose to state it as being a rumour and didn't write down the rude statement that was said to me.

not entirely sure if this is permissable but ill give it a go. ive heard that darshun made a good speech, quite fluent, was the exact wording. the same witness also told me that darshuns answers to the questions posed were critical, very attacking was the exact phrase. on questioning darshun he confirmed this last point. this said i dont see how speaking his mind makes him look like a fool (even the webmaster noted this "honesty"), you may not agree with his mind but that dont make him a fool.

[hr]
if music be the food of life then radiohead be a spam sandwich.
stan

hey pussycat

Postby Darshybaby on Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:36 pm

I improvised my speech and did not read of a piece of paper - i then answered the planted questions with honesty, not window dressing it with political diplomacy. I also got irritated when Neil Walker (who interviewed us for the SAint) got up and manipulated a private conversation and used it against me - especially since he is with James North! It annoyed me that he could play that dirty.

I told the truth, i spoke it like i believed and people their either appreciated it or did not.
Darshybaby

Re:

Postby Anon. on Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:45 pm

[s]Jiang wrote on 17:46, 19th Mar 2003:
I could hardly stop pissing myself every time EJ said "THIS.CANNOT.CONTINUE" ie. every 30 seconds.

Yes, it was a bit "And Brutus is an honourable man"-ish - excessive repetition casting doubt in the minds of the audience, and all that

Mind you I found that the female president of the wine and cheese society with that scary dark green cloak

Nicky Cahill

and her pompous friends were acting very like Victorian Conservative MPs with all the foot stamping and Commons like groaning/cheering. Very odd.

What's wrong with acting like Victorian Conservative MPs?
Anon.

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:02 pm

Can someone tell me what Derek Mcleod had to say at the hecklings?

[hr]'I said I'd enjoyed talking to them a lot, too. I meant it, too. I'd have enjoyed it even more though, I think, if I hadn't been sort of afraid, the whole time I was talking to them, that they'd all of a sudden try to find out if I was a Catholic.'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby stan on Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:11 pm

[s]rubbermuffin wrote on 19:02, 19th Mar 2003:
Can someone tell me what Derek Mcleod had to say at the hecklings?

http://www.thesinner.co.uk/article-view.php?article=389

[hr]
if music be the food of life then radiohead be a spam sandwich.
stan

Re:

Postby McK on Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:36 pm

Derek Macleod came off as the most open and modest of the candidates. -- Sorry, Darshy, but you managed to make a lot of people think you were a cocky young whippersnapper apparently! (I liked your speech) We definitely need more of that at future hecklings, instead of the usual boring hackery that goes on, just to lighten things up. (Although personally I laughed all the way through anyway)

Right, I should be working.... :(
McK

Re:

Postby Warlike Lover on Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:13 pm

Just wondering - if Darshan is a first year, then how can he stand for the post of President?

Don't you have to have matriculated twice before you can stand for the post?
Warlike Lover

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:25 pm

Not if you've served at least three months on the SRC or SSC. At least, those used to be the election rules. When there were election rules.......

Al

You what!!??

Postby pete on Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:22 pm

[s]McK wrote on 22:36, 19th Mar 2003:[i]
Derek Macleod came off as the most open and modest of the candidates.

Open and modest eh? I'm sensing people like him because he's a nice guy.

Don't.

A nice guy will not stand up to the university authorities - in fact he, along with Rory, let the top-up fees go through the senate without saying anything as science rep. pathetic

His belief in having continuity is also hopeless. If he is going to continue everything that Rory hasn't done all year then god help us.

By not having any policies he's done more than illustrate his lack of imagination, spirit or drive. He's done this so he isn't accountable. With no policies he can't be held to account and thus if (god forbid) he got elected he could sit on his arse and do nothing.

Which is what he will do.

For god's sake don't vote for him
pete

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:54 pm

Not that you're in any way biased at all! Is it better to have fewer, but achievable, policies or to have many unachievable ones? Or lies as I think many people call them.

Better student services:
• cyber-café in the Union - why?
• student radio by September - not possible
• live music in the Old Union Diner - highly unlikely to get permission for this

Fighting for the issues that matter:
• class sizes - what do you mean?
• availability of library books - aren't library books already available?
• shortage of IT provision - surely you should be fighting against a shortage not for it

Getting the job done properly:
• rising above petty politics - I thought you were one of the leading exponents of petty politics
• cutting the red tape - a bland statement that could mean anything
• desire, strength and ability + sense of humour to do the job well - another pointless statement

Al

Shut up

Postby McK on Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:55 pm

So, you're saying only corrupt, nasty people can stand up to Brian Lang, are you? Well, the rest of them will do quite well then.

To be honest, I find this 'Vote for the most jaded, toffee-nosed hack' approach quite unappealing.

Vote Derek MacLeod!!
McK

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board