Home

TheSinner.net

Offensive Anti-British Song

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Offensive Anti-British Song

Postby Indignant brit on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:30 am

I was at the Bop for St Patrick's Day and I was slightly offended by the anti-British song that was played.

I'm a Scottish nationalist, but I still think that the song should not have been played here (St Andrews, Scotland, the UK).

Yes perhaps the British did mistreat Ireland but that's not the point.

Could you imagine a British anti-German WWII song being played at a German Uni?
Indignant brit

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:34 am

1. What was the song?

2. Was it more anti-British than "Flower of Scotland"?

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby ct3012 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:13 am

If it was ("worst case scenario") a rebel song, it would have been aimed at the English/the queen. As a Scottish Nationalist, surely this shouldn't bother you?
But then again, I could just be saying that to annoy people...
ct3012

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:52 am

Why not? Not all Scottish Nationalists have an issue with the Queen - many would like to see her as Head of State of an independent Scotland.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:54 am

Was it sunday bloody sunday?

Sunday Bloody Sunday'. What a great song. It really encapsulates the frustration of a Sunday, doesn't it? You wake up in the morning, you've got to read all the Sunday papers, the kids are running round, you've got to mow the lawn, wash the car, and you think "Sunday, bloody Sunday!"

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby ct3012 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:03 am

Quoting exnihilo from 10:52, 18th Mar 2008
many would like to see her as Head of State of an independent Scotland.

I think I probably just have an anti-monarchy bias... But my idea of Scottish Nationalism is one of an independant Scotland without a useless monarchy.

EDIT: Also, that song is fecking ACE
ct3012

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 am

Yeah, useless presidency is much more "modern" and we've got to be that.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Frank on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:07 pm

I always liked the idea of an Independent Scotland where the head of state is a popularly elected figure every so often (three years?) and who plays a role basically akin to the Rector of this university. The title of this person is 'Chief'.

In a sense they play the same role as the monarchy, lessens the chance of us getting a dud through no fault of our own. (I.e. any idiots there would be our fault, collectively).

My guess is that it'd be John Smeaton until he dies or became a die-hard Al-Qaeda stronghold, and then it'd become a bit less interesting.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Jono on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:50 pm

I hope you're not gabbing off about Sunday, Bloody Sunday! That song's about as anti-British as the Oxford English Dictionary!

I'm really sick of people who equate Anti-British with those of us who don't regard the British Empire as a virtuous pile of awesome who educated the savage, brought civilization to the far corners of the globe, and never did a single bad thing in it's entire existence! God forbid that people hear about such episodes as the Opium Wars, "The Devils Wind", Bloody Sunday; or countless other historical events through the treasonous mass-media!

If patriotism is living in a fantasy world, then I guess I'm no patriot!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby scotlandposse2010 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Quoting Indignant brit from 01:24, 18th Mar 2008
I was at the Bop for St Patrick's Day and I was slightly offended by the anti-British song that was played.

I'm a Scottish nationalist, but I still think that the song should not have been played here (St Andrews, Scotland, the UK).

Yes perhaps the British did mistreat Ireland but that's not the point.

Could you imagine a British anti-German WWII song being played at a German Uni?

Hi,
I was the DJ for the Bop last night, and I want to apologise for any offense I may have caused.

In retrospect, playing 'Go Home British Soldiers' and 'Rock on Rockall' or anything by the Wolfetones was probably not a good idea. My collection of Irish music runs a little thin, so I was running out of things to play, and hoped no one would notice (the music is so loud at the Bop anyway, it seems most people can hardly understand the lyrics anyway).

Please understand that I was not trying to cause any trouble, and that I do not support the means by which the IRA has been in conflict with Britain.

[hr]

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
scotlandposse2010

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:56 pm

Most national anthems are anti-(insert nation here).

In the vein of Scottish Nationalists: If you listen to more Proclaimers than "I'm Gonna Be...", a whack load of their songs have HUGE anti-English sentiments.

And to the OP, what was the song in question?

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:44 pm

Oh God, I half-jokingly said to myself as I read this thread "I bet it's Go On Home British Soldiers", but I didn't expect it to be true! What possessed you to play that?!
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Humphrey on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:50 pm

I actually have this song on my computer somewhere but I would never play it in public for fear of getting a kicking or offending anyone who had to live through the troubles. It is actually a good laugh to sing when you are drunk as long as you don't take it seriously. Lyrics posted in the link below in case anyone is interested. You can also find the song itself on youtube. It's a pile of wank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_on_Home ... h_Soldiers

[hr]

http://humphreyclarke.blogspot.com/
http://www.livejournal.com/users/humphrey_clarke/
Humphrey

The songs.

Postby Jono on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:54 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Or8Sfy3JlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8op4Orblrn4

Oh, that's what they were (actually available on youTube as well)! Well I can't say I approve; But I doubt it'll rock the University to it's foundations!

Then again; I've never lost a loved one because of it. I can imagine a lot of Irish people finding your set deeply offensive (at least one of them). People have been hauled in front of the disciplinary committee and banned for less!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Bullet_MaGnEt on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Im slightly confused here guys. As far as I can see the only one possibly slightly offensive line and even then its a bit of a stretch.

It seem's like people are being offended for the sake of being offended unless there are some REAL die hard jingoistic soul's out there longing for another charge of the light brigade.
Bullet_MaGnEt

Re:

Postby ct3012 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:19 pm

Perhaps you could argue that it was played as a reflection of Irish culture, seeing as that is largely what St. Patrick's day is when you're not Catholic... (even though the people that would sing those songs had to have a religion that would probably be it)?

This, of course, is only a wild theory.

*Hides*
ct3012

Re:

Postby Craig on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:24 pm

I can see how some people might be offended by those songs. Maybe playing them wasn't the best idea.

But then again, chances are someone's always going to be offended by whatever you play. So a couple of people were offended. Oh well, move on.
Craig

Re:

Postby eagle on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:50 pm

Quoting Bullet_MaGnEt from 14:10, 18th Mar 2008
Im slightly confused here guys. As far as I can see the only one possibly slightly offensive line and even then its a bit of a stretch.

It seem's like people are being offended for the sake of being offended unless there are some REAL die hard jingoistic soul's out there longing for another charge of the light brigade.

I'd say that most of it could be considered offensive. I'm not easily offended, but reading the lyrics to that song wound me up somewhat. I'd say it was a bad call to play such a song to be honest.
eagle

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:58 pm

No offense was intended, so that's the long and short of it surely.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Haunted on Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:00 pm

Good tune to it I thought

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board