Home

TheSinner.net

Greek in King James Library

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Greek in King James Library

Postby Lost In Translation on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Could anyone tell me what the phrase overlooking the library above the South Street Library says? It looks like "AIEN APIΣTEγEIN" but I haven't been able to find a translation.
Lost In Translation

Re:

Postby donkey on Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:10 pm

It's the University Motto. I understand that "ever to be the best" is the usual translation, though I think it could be rendered as "excellence into eternity" too?

I wonder if anybody has spotted it written up anywhere else around the university?

I think the St Andrews chalk vandals should get to work scribbling greek about the town. Much better than all this 'I love you' stuff.

Quoting Lost In Translation from 13:24, 20th Mar 2008
Could anyone tell me what the phrase overlooking the library above the South Street Library says? It looks like "AIEN APIΣTEγEIN" but I haven't been able to find a translation.
donkey

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:08 pm

If you walk down West Burn Lane towards Queens Terrace you'll see it above a door to the Psychology building.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:20 pm

Quoting donkey from 14:10, 20th Mar 2008
I think the St Andrews chalk vandals should get to work scribbling greek about the town. Much better than all this 'I love you' stuff.

If it helps at all, someone recently wrote 'Scottish not British' on the corner of Rogersons footwear. Hooray for vague political statements!

More relevant to the original post: that slogan gets pretty much everywhere, including on/inside the covers of all library books and DVDs along with the little library crest. According to Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mottos) it's also held by Boston College as their motto.

The motto list is kind of interesting actually, even if only to see what mottos other universities have been landed with (e.g. Strathclyde: "Place of Useful Learning". In English!)

[hr]

If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Students Association on Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:48 pm

They've even put it on T-Shirts for goodness sake!
http://www.yourunion.net/shop/index.php ... uct_id=135
University of St Andrews Students' Association - find more at yourunion.net or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/StAndrewsUnion
Students Association

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:03 pm

under the union street sign someone has written "soon indpendence street"

Re:

Postby Al on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:39 pm

Quoting from 15:46, 20th Mar 2008
under the union street sign someone has written "soon indpendence street"

Very creative. It's just a pity that the Union referred to in the name of the street is that between Great Britain and Ireland.
Al

Re:

Postby novium on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:33 pm

it's stamped inside every library book.
Is -ein an infinitive ending?

[hr]

Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
Neither the storms of crisis, nor the breezes of ambition could ever divert him, either by hope or by fear, from the course that he had chosen
novium

Re:

Postby DrAlex on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:30 am

What's the latin above the gate at St Mary's?

[hr]

The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
The Sinner: Where no one ever learned "if you haven't got any thing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
DrAlex

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:53 am

In principio erat verbum.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:54 am

Quoting DrAlex from 08:30, 21st Mar 2008
What's the latin above the gate at St Mary's?

It's part of the first verse of the Gospel of St John - "In the beginning was the Word".
Al

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:49 pm

The University motto is similarly a quotation - from the Homer, which is why it's not just ours alone to play with. (Iliad, VI.208, if memory serves.)

To answer Donkey's question with a question, is it not also in stone over the main door to Deans Court?
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby KayBee on Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:49 pm

Quoting Amorphous from 15:20, 20th Mar 2008
If it helps at all, someone recently wrote 'Scottish not British' on the corner of Rogersons footwear. Hooray for vague political statements!

There's a Rogersons in St Andrews now? The same chain as found on Rose St?

When did that happen?
KayBee

Re:

Postby MJC on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:13 am

Quoting novium from 23:33, 20th Mar 2008

[hr]

Yes
MJC

Re:

Postby novium on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:58 am

thanks, I thought so. it's funny how fast a year of language lessons leaves you.
Quoting MJC from 00:13, 22nd Mar 2008
Quoting novium from 23:33, 20th Mar 2008

[hr]

Yes

[hr]

novium

Return to The Sinner's Main Board