Home

TheSinner.net

RON is On!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Emma on Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:21 am

You can't disqualify RON.
Emma

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:24 am

[s]Emma wrote on 09:21, 21st Mar 2003:
You can't disqualify RON.

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha.

Sorry I thought it needed that.

[hr]
If I gave a shit, you'd be the first person I'd give it to.
Biitchboy

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:03 am

It is obvious that Robbie Collin (confused as he is) has a personal interest in the election of one of the Presidential candidates. He should declare who he is supporting. But, as a former Sainter, he probably likes being duplicitous and disingenuous.

[hr]We are near waking when we dream we are dreaming.
Al

Re:

Postby Cain on Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:39 am

[s]Al wrote on 10:03, 21st Mar 2003:
It is obvious that Robbie Collin (confused as he is) has a personal interest in the election of one of the Presidential candidates. He should declare who he is supporting. But, as a former Sainter, he probably likes being duplicitous and disingenuous.

i would guess that, seeing as that was who he accompanied to my history lecture, Robbie was with the North team.

[hr]
whoever kills Cain will suffer a sevenfold vengeance
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:40 am

And you wouldn't be able to believe what he said, as he may accidentally misreport his own views in an orgy of typographical errors.

Might I also suggest that people photographed by Robbie, invoice him for the privelege of letting him take their photo?
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby James Baster on Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:11 am

Here here. This was attrocius. I missed last nights Gatty Committee meeting and therfore I don't know if they was discussed or not, but this was definetly wrong.

[s]flarewearer wrote on 09:17, 21st Mar 2003:
whoever has been running the RON campaig, i know that you are perfectly entitled to do this, but emails have been sent out from the albany park committee account to ask us to vote RON. isnt this taking liberties? candidates arent allowed to use techniques like this, so why can't those that are determined to wreck the process and drag the union through the mud abide by the rules too, i don't need my half-assed hall committeee suggesting who i should vote for as i have already made up my mind. there are some respectable candidates you know. i move for the RON campaign to be disqualified for breaking union election rules.
James Baster

Re:

Postby James Baster on Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:19 am

Althought apart from that, congratulations are due to the RON team who so far are putting on a good as campaign as any of the other candidates out here at Physics.
James Baster

Re:

Postby Al on Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:23 am

I see North is claiming that he has infiltrated the St Andrews Community Council and he is "fighting for students within the town". Hmmm. When will this heroic fighting take place? He's only attended two meetings, and his sole contribution has been to say that a post-repair opening pierwalk may be arranged. And was it?

[hr]We are near waking when we dream we are dreaming.
Al

Re:

Postby kensson on Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:26 am

I must state my disapproval towards some of the tactics used by the RON team. (Some of the organisers fail to understand the Animal Farm significance of ripping down other people's posters. A similar parallel could be drawn between, say, early-90s Tories and early-00s Labour. But I digress.)

There is a point where excessive campaigning (especially the dirty stuff) can put potential voters off.

That said, everyone should still vote RON and then hopefully we'll get a better candidate next time.

[hr]My policy towards the USA remains one of regime change
kensson

In my day...

Postby Old Hack on Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:47 pm

...elections were filled with dirty tricks and attempts to smear the names of rival candidates.

This is an excellent tradition and I am delighted to see it continue.

Gentlemen, I commend you.
Old Hack

Re:

Postby Administrator on Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:49 pm

[s]flarewearer wrote on 09:17, 21st Mar 2003:
whoever has been running the RON campaig, i know that you are perfectly entitled to do this, but emails have been sent out from the albany park committee account to ask us to vote RON. isnt this taking liberties? candidates arent allowed to use techniques like this, so why can't those that are determined to wreck the process and drag the union through the mud abide by the rules too, i don't need my half-assed hall committeee suggesting who i should vote for as i have already made up my mind. there are some respectable candidates you know. i move for the RON campaign to be disqualified for breaking union election rules.

Just spoken to Acting Senior Student at Gatty about this: Apparently words will be had. She feels this if wrong to.

James Baster
Administrator

Re:

Postby Homer on Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:02 pm

I'd like to register my own dissapproval of using the Gatty committee e-mail to represent ANY personal views.

It wasn't discussed at the meeting.

However, it's not really going to encourage anyone to vote either way. I'd like to think the residents can make up their own minds.

[hr]"I stole this accordion from a blind monkey-but you, you disgust me!"
Homer

Re:

Postby Anon. on Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:52 pm

[s]Al wrote on 11:23, 21st Mar 2003:
I see North is claiming that he has infiltrated the St Andrews Community Council and he is "fighting for students within the town". Hmmm. When will this heroic fighting take place? He's only attended two meetings, and his sole contribution has been to say that a post-repair opening pierwalk may be arranged. And was it?

Yes - I was at it.
Anon.

Smears

Postby Jos Dad on Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:40 pm

[s]Unregisted User Old Hack wrote on 12:43, 21st Mar 2003:
...elections were filled with dirty tricks and attempts to smear the names of rival candidates.

This is an excellent tradition and I am delighted to see it continue.

Gentlemen, I commend you.

Hear hear
I was Usion Asst Sec in 196x. and nothing has changed!
Jos Dad

Re:

Postby rubbermuffin on Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:16 pm

Yay voted RON 1 and McLeod 2 at 2.59pm and boy did it feel good!

[hr]'I said I'd enjoyed talking to them a lot, too. I meant it, too. I'd have enjoyed it even more though, I think, if I hadn't been sort of afraid, the whole time I was talking to them, that they'd all of a sudden try to find out if I was a Catholic.'
'If something has to change then it always does'
rubbermuffin

Re:

Postby Ashley on Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:24 pm

You won my vote too.

[hr]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Re:

Postby Biitchboy on Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:15 pm

I voted RON of course, and then handed out leaflets/condoms for waaay too long. But I think RON is definitely going to beat most of the candidates, since loads of people said they would vote RON first or second.

[hr]If I gave a shit, you'd be the first person I'd give it to.
Biitchboy

Re:

Postby mary on Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:16 pm

just to say you got my vote, the free condom did it, anyone who puts a smile on my face after it is worthy of my vote
mary

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:31 pm

Well, I'm just back from a long day's campaigning, which went very well, I think.

Glad to hear you voted RON :) Roll on the results!

[hr]NUTT: You'd be surprised how many women find my size intriguingly alluring.

MULDER: And you'd be surprised how many men do as well.

X-Files, "Humbug"
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

To all of you who helped today.

Postby Pilmour Boy on Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:37 pm

I thank you & RON thanks you.

I truly believe that when campaigning for a candidate, we must attempt to remain within the rules. However, a RON campaign, by definition, falls outside those rules. Candidates, and their teams, are allowed to do anything they want to to any of our publicity. Thus, in order to have any chance whatsoever of being successful, I feel that we too must fight with any means at our disposal.

As to the removal of an E&E poster, I apologise for that. It was I. I had been lead to believe that you were running joint poster runs, etc, with James North's campaign team. I believed, and still do, that anything that we could do to make the oppositions' teams spend more time replacing their own material, and the less time removing ours and fighting RON, the better our chances.

While it can-not be said that the campaign was fought within the rules as if RON was a candidate, we did draw a line in the sand.

An opportunity was presented to the team to change the website of a prominent candidate. This opportunity was not taken and Kirsty Henderson was informed.
Pilmour Boy

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board