Home

TheSinner.net

Question?

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Question?

Postby Number 4 Cool Dude on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:28 pm

Can you subconsciously demand that someone do something?
Number 4 Cool Dude

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:40 pm

In theory, if you could hypnotise someone with enough force that they would go against their root instincts... Yes.

Quoting Number 4 Cool Dude from 20:01, 26th Mar 2008

[hr]

So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

Gealle

Answer!

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:50 pm

No.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Rrrr on Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:52 pm

you mean like say something in such a way that that suggests your subconscious wants them to do it, or in such a way as their subconscious thinks you want them to do it?

[hr]

Splat!
[b:7vpvjwv1]Splat![/b:7vpvjwv1]
Rrrr

Re:

Postby d_24 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:00 pm

Like willing someone to do something. Using the power of your brainz?

[hr]

Before Bauer...There Was House
Before Bauer...There Was House
d_24

Re:

Postby ribs on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:22 pm

Demand? Perhaps no. But we are continually sending subconscious signals which do effect how other people act.....

[hr]

Summer is a state of mind.
Summer is a state of mind.
ribs

Yes

Postby Tigger on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:29 pm

I subconsciously asked someone to ask this question, and it worked.

[hr]

My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
Tigger

Re:

Postby Haunted on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:33 pm

Lol you mean like "The Secret"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usbNJMUZSwo

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:29 pm

I think it works. Honestly sometimes I have wished while in conversation and pretending to listen that the person would fuck off back to a Richard Curtis movie, where they probably belonged. And lo and behold sometimes it happens.

That may be because I tend to think aloud however...

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby the Empress on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:51 pm

I guess you could . . . isn't that why children often mess up studies, because they want to please you (heh or not) so will try and give the answers they think you want. There's a name for it when interviewing too, when if the respondent likes you, they will respond to your (unconcious, I guess) cues, and give the answers you want. Sorry for the lack of techno speak. I doubt you can subconciously 'demand' so much as 'suggest' - isn't a demand a concious action?
the Empress

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:01 am

Sure you can. Real passive-aggressiveness is precisely that, no?

[hr]

Self-control is the chief element of self-respect; self-respect is the chief element of courage. - Thucydides
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby sat on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:23 am

Quoting Gealle from 20:40, 26th Mar 2008
... if you could hypnotise someone with enough force that they would go against their root instincts...

Isn't it believed that the subject of hypnosis essentially goes along with everything voluntarily and if they were asked to do something they didn't want to then they would refuse or return to full consciousness?
sat

Re:

Postby Gealle on Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:17 pm

Yes - in theory - which is why I said "force". It's not the perfect word to describe what you would have to do... Long term mental manipulation is more the thing I'm looking for.

Quoting sat from 08:23, 28th Mar 2008
Quoting Gealle from 20:40, 26th Mar 2008
... if you could hypnotise someone with enough force that they would go against their root instincts...

Isn't it believed that the subject of hypnosis essentially goes along with everything voluntarily and if they were asked to do something they didn't want to then they would refuse or return to full consciousness?

[hr]

Gealle

Re:

Postby Nymphomanic on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:00 pm

If you could then that would be somewhat disturbing because it would imply that the same could be done to you.

[hr]

I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
I read most of the night and go south in winter - wasteland
Nymphomanic

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:28 am

Why would that be disturbing? Just because someone demands you do something doesn't mean that you have to do it.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Return to The Sinner's Main Board