Home

TheSinner.net

We support Olympics - don't spread hatred!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:21 am

Oh I dunno... Might be a laugh to go along and watch this one man band protesting.

[hr]

So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

Gealle

Re:

Postby Grant on Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:14 pm

Well, this isnt directly to do with the olympics, but the increased scrutiny of China is certainly not giving them much justice.

I dunno, this stuff seems pretty common if you google it, and its mostly chinese.

http://www.totallycrap.com/videos/videos_chinese_dog_torturer_01/

Seriously, watch it all. Its harrowing. I cant watch it all. Ok, its not directly to do with the olmypics, but to me, the event seems like a good diversion to get people to focus off china's substanical troubles.
Grant

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:58 pm

Plenty of interesting stuff going on in this thread...

Politics in the Olympics - now it's just silly to even hope that there would be no form of 'political' twist or spin to a major worldwide event which offers a particular country a massive platform/showcase etc. The Olympics have always been an opportunity to demonstrate in favour of equality and tolerance - see the Black Power salute at the 1968 Mexico City games.

Protesters 'inciting hatred' - well they're not actually inciting or spreading any hatred, they're simplying expressing an opinion in opposition to a certain thing. I perceive the majority of the protests to be purely of a 'Free Tibet' nature, not 'F*ck China!' or anything quite so negative.

The torch is a publicity stunt, if the Chinese Olympic committee want a worldwide press conference then they have to be prepared for a worldwide barrage of response, both positive and negative.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:10 pm

Oooooh the OP's been deleted. Is this more of foo's moderating reign of terror? Has vencent79 relented and gone for a jog up Market Street clothed only in a 'FREE TIBET' banner? Was there ever an original post at all? Does China really exist? Is Tibet actually quite expensive? Should I be revising?

SO many questions.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Gealle on Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:56 pm

One Answer:

REVISE!
;)
Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 19:10, 9th Apr 2008
Oooooh the OP's been deleted. Is this more of foo's moderating reign of terror? Has vencent79 relented and gone for a jog up Market Street clothed only in a 'FREE TIBET' banner? Was there ever an original post at all? Does China really exist? Is Tibet actually quite expensive? Should I be revising?

SO many questions.

[hr]

[hr]

Gealle

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:12 pm

It certainly wasn't me. I think that chap was doing a good enough job at defeating his point without me having a hand in it.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby househunter on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:03 pm

Quoting Grant from 15:14, 9th Apr 2008
Well, this isnt directly to do with the olympics, but the increased scrutiny of China is certainly not giving them much justice.

I dunno, this stuff seems pretty common if you google it, and its mostly chinese.

http://www.totallycrap.com/videos/videos_chinese_dog_torturer_01/

Seriously, watch it all. Its harrowing. I cant watch it all. Ok, its not directly to do with the olmypics, but to me, the event seems like a good diversion to get people to focus off china's substanical troubles.

That is quite depressing, mainly because of the noise the dog's making.
househunter

Re:

Postby househunter on Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:07 pm

People can delete their own threads I believe.
househunter

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:40 pm

They can, yes.

[hr]

I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Nickel on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:08 pm

It would also be a bit silly of foo to delete the original post, but leave it in a quotation by an unregistered user half way down the page.
Nickel

Re:

Postby vencent79 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:37 pm

Delete or not up to you
but everyone have the responsibility for what they said.

my purpose is not to have a debate about this issue.

what the meadia covered these days here is really upset me and that's what we are going to protest.

we are not against protest, but have to be peaceful, not the one happened in London and Prais try to grap the touch...

by the way,if you are interesting in Tibet, we can have a talk sometime both are free.

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 16:58, 9th Apr 2008

Politics in the Olympics - now it's just silly to even hope that there would be no form of 'political' twist or spin to a major worldwide event which offers a particular country a massive platform/showcase etc. The Olympics have always been an opportunity to demonstrate in favour of equality and tolerance - see the Black Power salute at the 1968 Mexico City games.

Protesters 'inciting hatred' - well they're not actually inciting or spreading any hatred, they're simplying expressing an opinion in opposition to a certain thing. I perceive the majority of the protests to be purely of a 'Free Tibet' nature, not 'F*ck China!' or anything quite so negative.

The torch is a publicity stunt, if the Chinese Olympic committee want a worldwide press conference then they have to be prepared for a worldwide barrage of response, both positive and negative.

[hr]

vencent79

Re:

Postby househunter on Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Quoting vencent79 from 23:37, 9th Apr 2008
by the way,if you are interesting in Tibet, we can have a talk sometime both are free.

One Tibet plz!
househunter

Re:

Postby Jono on Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:28 pm

Well if you're not here to have a debate; what the hell are you doing posting on here?

The organization you claim to be associated with is not affiliated with our University, and certainly not with our Union! As far as I can tell, you're an Edinburgh based group with no links to St Andrews.

My question is, what business does someone in a different university have in signing up to this message board, and advertising a demonstration to take place several towns over?

my purpose is not to have a debate about this issue.

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 16:58, 9th Apr 2008

[hr]

Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Cain on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:55 am

Unfortunately, I'm a fascinating person for most of the time, but proximity to Tibet makes me dull and tedious.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Grant on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:37 am

"FREE TIBET!"

"I'll take it........China, I have something you may want....that's right, All the Tea..."
Grant

Re:

Postby Gealle on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:19 pm

That was a good episode of family guy.
Quoting Grant from 11:37, 10th Apr 2008
"FREE TIBET!"

"I'll take it........China, I have something you may want....that's right, All the Tea..."

[hr]

Gealle

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Oooooh the OP's been deleted. Is this more of foo's moderating reign of terror?

No one would be surpised if he had, he only lets through the ones he can instantly FLAME and witholding any with might cause .... SHOCK HORROR ... debate!

Re:

Postby Guest on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Quoting cain from 01:55, 10th Apr 2008
...I'm a fascinating person for most of the time...

You'd think that but you'd be wrong.

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting from 19:59, 9th Apr 2008
Oooooh the OP's been deleted. Is this more of foo's moderating reign of terror?

No one would be surpised if he had, he only lets through the ones he can instantly FLAME and witholding any with might cause .... SHOCK HORROR ... debate!

We've had plenty of flaming and debating without munchingfoo's help trust me!

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:03 pm

If someone is willing to point out exactly which posts they have submitted and I (I still don't understand why me, and not any other moderator) have rejected, then I will tell you why they were rejected.

Simple.

However, I can't help thinking that if you actually wanted to a debate, and not an anonomous attack on a moderator, then you'd just register, for free, with the site.

Perhaps its because you have been banned for using a registered account in an inappropriate way? I can't ban people, so go figure...

[hr]

munchingfoo

PreviousNext

Return to The Sinner's Main Board