Home

TheSinner.net

Weak, weak, weak

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Weak, weak, weak

Postby pete on Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:45 am

Congratulations on voting in to the Presidency one of the most uninspiring, pointless and downright boring candidates everseen on this earth. We can look forward to more 'oops, I forgot to notice that raise in top-up fees' as Derek bumbles his way through the year. With no policies, he can't be held to account - which is after all a major tenet of our democracy.

Does he have any idea of what to do or will he continue the 'good' works of Rory who is the first President to have a motion of censure passed against him for donkey years?

Finally, questions have to be asked about Marco 'I have a chip on my shoulder about anything' Biagi and his dedication to the students of this university. He was elected to do a job. Not fuck off for two months without a decent explanation and certainly not waste our time and money running a RON campaign. We do afterall pay his rent.

Lets not forget that he didn't pull out of the presidency because he was 'vicitmised' (pathetic). He actually pulled out because it was discovered he had printed a large number of illegal posters for his campaign even before campaign week had begun. He jumped before he was pushed. What's that term about rats on a sinking ship?

I actually feel sorry for the othersabs for nextyear. Not only will they have a useless president but Biagi will be hounding them all year. Of course the only reason he supported derek is so that next year he can compare himself to a shit president when standing, again, for President himself.
pete

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:50 am

Hahahahahahahahaha...
Now that's what I call bitter.
[hr][s]This is the bed that I have made,
this is the grave where I will lay,
these are the hands where I will
bury my face.[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:51 am

What's that saying about people being sore losers? Just because your candidate lost doesn't mean you have to whinge about it from now until doomsday. Get over it! The people have spoken. They didn't want your candidate to win.

By the way, you must be very proud to have been a toady to a toad.

[hr]We are near waking when we dream we are dreaming.
Al

Re:

Postby niall on Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:18 am

em, marco didnt run the campaign.

[hr]its a spoon!

http://www.tastyspoon.com
niall

Re:

Postby Robbie Collin on Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:44 am

But the funny thing is, James North got over 100 more first votes than Derek.

The people DID want North to win.

Derek only pulled ahead after the final distribution because a few more people thought he, rather than James, was the fourth-best candidate.

Not much of a victory, and something I expect will nag away at Derek throughout the year.

And if the RONners had any effect, Derek would have pulled ahead after RON was redistributed.

Sorry.

It didn't happen.

So what's everyone looking forward to most about next year's sabbatical team? Let's hear from the huddled masses who are so overjoyed with this result.
Robbie Collin

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:47 am

[s]Robbie Collin wrote on 11:44, 22nd Mar 2003:

Derek only pulled ahead after the final distribution because a few more people thought he, rather than James, was the fourth-best candidate.

Not true- look at the figures I posted in the 'Results In Full' thread.

And if the RONners had any effect, Derek would have pulled ahead after RON was redistributed.

Sorry.

It didn't happen.

Actually, the gap between Derek and North closed to 5 after the RON redistrubution.

[hr]
NUTT: You'd be surprised how many women find my size intriguingly alluring.

MULDER: And you'd be surprised how many men do as well.

X-Files, "Humbug"
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Robbie Collin on Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:20 pm

[s]LeopardSkinQueen wrote on 11:47, 22nd Mar 2003:
Actually, the gap between Derek and North closed to 5 after the RON redistrubution.

That's right. With North still ahead. So to reiterate once again:

Sorry.

It didn't happen.

Which part of the expression 'not pulling ahead' are you unfamiliar with?
Robbie Collin

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:21 pm

As it cut the gap drastically, I would say that the campaign did have some effect.

[hr]NUTT: You'd be surprised how many women find my size intriguingly alluring.

MULDER: And you'd be surprised how many men do as well.

X-Files, "Humbug"
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:28 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

Re:

Postby Thackary on Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:49 pm

I look forward to less bitching, fewer stabs in the back, and perhaps a little more information about what the sabbatical team do from week to week.

It may be boring to read, but at least we would be able to see an account of what's going on in the union.
Thackary

Deleted

Postby CarolynSD on Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:13 pm

This post has been deleted.
Last edited by CarolynSD on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CarolynSD

I can't believe he's not bitter

Postby kensson on Sat Mar 22, 2003 1:16 pm

The votes that went to Derek in the last two rounds of the ballot weren't forcibly fourth choices. They could easily have been from people who voted EJ or Darshan first and Derek second.

The whole idea of the STV system is that you end up with a winner who's least objectionable to most people. This allows a greater spread of candidates to stand without worrying about splitting the vote - so, for instance, three One World people could stand for E&E and offer a wider choice for voters. It also allows people to vote for the candidate they want to win, and eliminates tactical voting.

It's rubbish to say that RONners had no effect - even if Normington hadn't been disqualified, RON would still have made it into the third round. I'm pretty sure it's unprecedented for RON to reach the second round.

In the end, RON lost, just as James lost. You really ought to get over it.

Whether the voters understand the system or not is quite debatable.
kensson

Re:

Postby Amanda on Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:33 pm

give over pete. you are obviously, as everyone has pointed out, bitter.
derek's a nice guy, but i'm sure he's gong to be a really good president, far better than many of the other candidates running. stop being so nasty to people who've worked hard for something.
[s]"don't frown...you never know who might be falling in love with your smile..."[/s]
Amanda

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:48 pm

Yeah, the way you keep carping on about it you'd think Derek had personally executed your puppy or something.
Prophet Tenebrae

hehe

Postby Darshybaby on Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:51 pm

"Yeah, the way you keep carping on about it you'd think Derek had personally executed your puppy or something"

Nah animals arent allowed for campaigning,oops maybe they are. hehe. jokes. (im sure you guys know what im talkin about)

Take it easy,

darshy
Darshybaby

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:14 pm

You've taken that too far.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby KayBee on Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:15 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 15:48, 22nd Mar 2003:
Yeah, the way you keep carping on about it you'd think Derek had personally executed your puppy or something.

Can we get him to excecute Darshy?
KayBee

you got me wrong

Postby Darshybaby on Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:27 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 16:14, 22nd Mar 2003:
You've taken that too far.

nah i was talking about the puppy used to get voters. Sorry just realised how that must have sounded. oops sorry
Darshybaby

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:39 pm

That's a bit harsh KB, a kneecapping would suffice.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby KayBee on Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:43 pm

Sorry. Sniffle.
KayBee

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board