Home

TheSinner.net

St. George's Day

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

St. George's Day

Postby theshadowhost on Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:15 am

Merry St. George's Day.

plz no flames :)

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:26 pm

Happy St Georges day to you as well
fuck the scots!

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:49 pm

Quoting theshadowhost from 09:15, 23rd Apr 2008
Merry St. George's Day.

plz no flames :)

[hr]

I was kinda hoping we could celebrate our nationality yet still be mindful of combined british awesomeness - kind of like the power rangers.

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:50 pm

Quoting Mr Comedy from 13:26, 23rd Apr 2008
fuck the scots!

[hr]

I was kinda hoping we could celebrate our nationality yet still be mindful of combined british awesomeness - kind of like the power rangers.

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:53 pm

The power rangers didn't have Wales.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:10 pm

I find it amusing how St. Patrick's day is perfectly viable, but anyone found celebrating St. George's is likely to be lynched... Well, at least have plenty of dirty looks cast in their direction.

On that note, merry St. George's Day indeed!

Re:

Postby Garnet on Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:44 pm

Quoting from 11:17, 23rd Apr 2008
I find it amusing how St. Patrick's day is perfectly viable, but anyone found celebrating St. George's is likely to be lynched... Well, at least have plenty of dirty looks cast in their direction.

I don't know about that. there seems to be more people complaining about that, than there is people complaining about celebrating st George's day

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Frank on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:31 pm

I think the root of it, for me at least, is that I always resented the multitude of loud drunk English crowds on holidays when I was little, and never encountered many of the same for Scots, Irish or Welsh. Of course, this is simply a bad case of generalisation via numbers.

English people celebrating being English invariably, in my experience, came with annoying overtones of loud and 'on holiday' Englishness. But that's just silly!

Let's all love the english, and hate dragons! Kill 'em!

Nowadays, I've no need to resent the english any more than resenting any other nation celebrating nationalism. I'm not a fan of "Wayhey Scotland!" at hogmanay, the French/English at rugby games and whatnot, but I can't explain the exception I have for the Irish.

Best patron saint day yet was when a wee group of us celebrated St David's last year in hall. Lovely leek-pie-thing and face-painting. Harmless, good quality fun. Hooray!

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Iain on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:08 pm

Cardiff University managed to put on a "St. George's Day" menu at lunch in the refectory - a quick glance at the menu revealed such delights as steak and kidney pie. Now was this a cynical ploy to attract the hordes of English visitors for open day? The prices were nudged up, certainly!
Unwind: touch the brine; Take some bread: break some wine
I can see the water line; Red below the Lewis sun
Iain

Re:

Postby Tiger Lilly on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:24 pm

Merry St George's Day to everyone indeed!

I feel a slight pang that my local pub will be brimming with a healthy dose of patriotism right now with some crazy themed night of celebration! Obv just a tactic to get the punters in but fun non-the-less.

It is a bit upsetting that any attempt to celebrate being English is associated with overly loud drunkards in a sunnier clime all in footie shirts but what the heck!!! :)
Tiger Lilly

Re:

Postby the_leish on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:40 pm

Fuck you!

[hr]

Apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population. Amazing...
Apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population. Amazing...
the_leish

Re:

Postby the_leish on Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:40 pm

Fuck you!

[hr]

the_leish

Re:

Postby TCT on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:38 am

Quoting theshadowhost from 13:50, 23rd Apr 2008
Quoting Mr Comedy from 13:26, 23rd Apr 2008
fuck the scots!

[hr]

[hr]

It's all right, we know Mr Comedy is a worthless piece of shite anyway.
TCT

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:56 am

I am - I'm a typical English drunk.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Return to The Sinner's Main Board