Home

TheSinner.net

The Saint

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The Saint

Postby snotgrass on Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:11 pm

whatever happened to the 'journalism' in our so called award winning student newspaper?
snotgrass

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:00 pm

The bit on sex in the latest edition is the biggest pile of crap I have ever read.

There's the problem of it, firstly, being shoved in there to be 'shocking' and therefore, sell.

Secondly, what's in there that isn't common knowledge to an eight year old trapped in a convent in the depths of the Amazon rainforest?

And the bit on 'What to wear?'? - Jeez.
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby creepy old man on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:41 pm

The sex part basically suggested that people who don't go out and have sex with random people all the time are really boring and are missing out. Personally I can't think of anything worse than having sex with a drunken stranger on the golf course in the freezing cold!
creepy old man

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:44 pm

Quoting creepy old man from 22:41, 26th Apr 2008
Personally I can't think of anything worse than having sex with a drunken stranger on the golf course in the freezing cold!

How about accidentally sitting on an epileptic hedgehog?

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby 12giraffes on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:04 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

What a top class comic image :D
12giraffes

Re:

Postby Al on Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:47 pm

The Saint IS award-winning. There's nothing "so-called" about it.
Al

Re:

Postby the Empress on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:30 am

I remember reading it (god, where did time go) 4 years ago . . . and it had a section about drunken hand signals. It was great, I still laugh thinking about it, and really wish I had a copy of it:S

Also, epileptic hedgehog? *g*
the Empress

Re:

Postby Irish Frank on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:11 pm

Is there actually no news in St Andrews more important than how many times a chimpanzee has sex per day?
Irish Frank

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:26 pm

Quoting snotgrass from 20:59, 25th Apr 2008
whatever happened to the 'journalism' in our so called award winning student newspaper?

The Saint is put to bed on Sunday and Monday, every other week and only during term. Hence little of it can logistically be 'news'. See this week's Saint (24/4), featuring FS08 (21/3).

Until the demand/finances/enthusiasm/support exists to voluntarily produce a more regular paper that can afford to pay for a faster production time then the journalistic content will always be limited.

Like many things in St Andrews, the Saint is limited by being in St Andrews.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby Tiskee on Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:42 pm

Quoting Schizophreniccabbage from 22:00, 26th Apr 2008
The bit on sex in the latest edition is the biggest pile of crap I have ever read.

There's the problem of it, firstly, being shoved in there to be 'shocking' and therefore, sell.

Secondly, what's in there that isn't common knowledge to an eight year old trapped in a convent in the depths of the Amazon rainforest?

And the bit on 'What to wear?'? - Jeez.

Is it not free now? I doubt what sells is their biggest concern these days. Anyway, the sex survey article seemed tongue in cheek to me! It wasn't shocking, it was more funny, but the details of some intimate encounters made me feel a bit queasy...
Tiskee

Sad student days

Postby Pi on Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:11 pm

People say that there is no news in St Andrews so we must refer to sex to fill pages of our student newspaper. But reading these posts suggests that our prime concern in St Andrews ought to be the lack of humour and ability to understand sarcasm and wit.
It is indeed a sad day when students have got so uptight that they cannot see the tongue in cheek tone of the features sex section.
And as for that 8 year old in the rainforest who knows everything sex related? I'd like to meet him because there are many things about sex which a lot of adults still do not know.
Pi

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:58 pm

I understand that it was done tongue-in-cheek but it was devoid of any sophistication. A horny teenager could have written that, not an undergrad.

I'm fully aware that everyone has gaps in their sexual knowledge but everything written in that feature I knew years ago - and I went to an all-girls school, for God's sake.
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri May 02, 2008 11:56 pm

its nothing to do with a lack of humour or being 'uptight'. The section is just shit and not at all funny.

Quoting Pi from 12:46, 29th Apr 2008
People say that there is no news in St Andrews so we must refer to sex to fill pages of our student newspaper. But reading these posts suggests that our prime concern in St Andrews ought to be the lack of humour and ability to understand sarcasm and wit.
It is indeed a sad day when students have got so uptight that they cannot see the tongue in cheek tone of the features sex section.
And as for that 8 year old in the rainforest who knows everything sex related? I'd like to meet him because there are many things about sex which a lot of adults still do not know.

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri May 02, 2008 11:56 pm

oh and also, the point isnt that the eight year old knows eveything sex related, just that there wasnt anything in that article that he wouldnt know, even given such an obviously constrained situation

Quoting Pi from 12:46, 29th Apr 2008

Return to The Sinner's Main Board