Home

TheSinner.net

Lacuna

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Lacuna

Postby amanda huginkiss on Fri May 02, 2008 11:59 pm

TEST - has the axe fallen on the unregistered user or has the loophole not yet been closed?
amanda huginkiss

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Sat May 03, 2008 12:37 am

Pray tell, what ARE you talking about?

Axe? Loophole?

You're getting carried away by your metaphors; they're flying out of the window!
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Sat May 03, 2008 2:31 am

Lacuna = e.g. 'The cat... the dog' - there is a gap in the text i.e. this refers to a loophole. [Or, as we referred to it in A Level English... 'lacuna mattata!']

I presume the whole thing over unregs posting and it still being possible is the point.
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat May 03, 2008 4:04 am

Cheese.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Admin on Sat May 03, 2008 2:50 pm

Quoting Schizophreniccabbage from 03:31, 3rd May 2008
Lacuna = e.g. 'The cat... the dog' - there is a gap in the text i.e. this refers to a loophole. [Or, as we referred to it in A Level English... 'lacuna mattata!']

Looks like an ellipsis to me (...)
I presume the whole thing over unregs posting and it still being possible is the point.

Of course it's still possible for unregistered users to post messages - we have a lot of posts from prospective students who'd like to find out more about the University they're applying for, and the town itself.
And long may that continue.

We had a spot of bother with spam, and the system was temporarily disabled while we implemented new measures to help prevent it.
Admin

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Sat May 03, 2008 4:48 pm

Ellipsis is when there's one word missing. Lacuna when it's undeterminable. I didn't exactly use the best of examples though - it was late!
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Sat May 03, 2008 5:01 pm

The name of this punctuation mark [...] is ellipsis

An ellipsis is sometimes used to represent a lacuna. A lacuna is a missing section of text from a manuscript - it refers specifically to when there is an obvious section missing from source material.

It does not refer to when one chooses not to quote certain parts of source material - ie. cutting irrelevant passages. However, [...] is used to represent this as well.

[...] is also used to seperate a phrase from an otherwise complete sentence.

[...] can also be used to seperate components in a disjointed list.

[...] can also be used to designate a pause in dialogue, particularly as a prelude to a non sequitor or some other disjointed part of conversation.

In all of these cases the name of [...] as a symbol is ellipsis and not lacuna. Lacuna refers to a specific situation - missing parts of a manuscript - and not to the punctuation mark used to designate it.

[hr]

Self-control is the chief element of self-respect; self-respect is the chief element of courage. - Thucydides
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sat May 03, 2008 5:04 pm

What the fuck guys this is amateur. I expect better, and I expect more of better. Better expect more, more expectation is better.

Man the fuck up, seriously.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Fuck.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Sat May 03, 2008 10:39 pm

Christ! I'll be more specific with my examples next time. I wasn't aiming for a Nobel prize, just something to help out the second poster!

Why use rocket science to explain something when a stick-figure diagram would do, and be clearer?!
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Sat May 03, 2008 11:40 pm

Quoting Schizophreniccabbage from 23:39, 3rd May 2008
Christ! I'll be more specific with my examples next time. I wasn't aiming for a Nobel prize, just something to help out the second poster!

Perhaps I should have posted on the Pet Hates thread that imprecise use of language enrages my inner pedant. :-)

Why use rocket science to explain something when a stick-figure diagram would do, and be clearer?!

Are you familiar with the webcomic XKCD, then?

[hr]

Self-control is the chief element of self-respect; self-respect is the chief element of courage. - Thucydides
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat May 03, 2008 11:52 pm

Undeterminable??? WTF?
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Legion on Sun May 04, 2008 1:04 am

wtf mate? like, u know? What?
Legion

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Sun May 04, 2008 9:54 am

What?
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Guest on Sun May 04, 2008 11:38 am

ALL SINNERS FEAR THE UNREGISTERED'S WRATH!

Return to The Sinner's Main Board