Home

TheSinner.net

SPAMMED alot

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

SPAMMED alot

Postby Frank on Fri May 02, 2008 2:25 am

Right, I know this cropped up before on the Sinner, as I used it last time, but for the life of me I can't now figure it out. How to you set Webmail to automatically get rid of {SPAM?} tagged messages?

It was working well for a while, what might've changed? Backlisting things doesn't seem to work at all well.

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Fri May 02, 2008 4:31 am

1) Click 'Options'
2) Click 'Filters'
3) Tick 'Apply filter rules upon logging on' and 'Apply filter rules when mailbox is refreshed'
4) Click 'Edit your filter rules'
5) Under 'Rule Definition', tick 'Subject'
6) In the text box, enter Spam? (with the braces around it, can't show them because the Sinner sucks)
7) Select 'Delete message'
8) Click 'Create'
9) Click 'Apply All Rules'
10) ???
11) Profit!
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby Super Jock on Fri May 02, 2008 7:39 am

Thanks man! spams been driving me crazy :)
Super Jock

Re:

Postby d_24 on Fri May 02, 2008 9:10 am

OR you could spam them right back.

1: Set up two google email accounts.

2: Log into account number 1 and compose a new email. Attach a video file of about 18mb. Leave uploading and proceed to step 3

3: Go to www.spambox.us and enter their email address. (Select time period of one year) Press Generate Spambox then copy and paste the email it gives you to a text file making sure to add “; “ at the end without quotation marks. Don’t forget the space!

4: Click your browsers BACK button and repeat until you have 100 Spamboxes. (After about 10 though you'll have to wait for a certain amount of time, use www.anonymouse.org if need be). You now have 100 email addresses that will all forward to your target.

5: Go back to your email that you are composing in step 2 and wait for the file to finish uploading. Then copy and paste the 100 email addresses in your send field and add your second google email address in the BCC field. Double check them first then send!

6: Log into your second email account and forward the mail you just recieved to all 100 email addresses again and your first google email address!

7: Rinse and repeat.

The point of all this you ask? You will subsequently use up their bandwith and server space ultimately slowing down their operation, pissing them off, costing them money or all of the above.

[hr]

Before Bauer...There Was House
Before Bauer...There Was House
d_24

Re:

Postby Legion on Fri May 02, 2008 10:06 am

That's all very well if they're using their own account and their own server.

BUT

Many spammers spoof the email address of the senders, and therefore all you're going to do is crash legitimate servers and cause innocent people aggro and hassle.

Much better to simply "blackhole" the spam - ignore them completely (don't even get them to bounce).

Besides, using Gmail to send spam is against its T&Cs, making you just as bad as the spammers.
Legion

Re:

Postby Garnet on Fri May 02, 2008 2:41 pm

thanks been meaning to find this out for ages!

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Jen the Phantom Hobbit of on Fri May 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Or try this response to spam e-mails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yj8ao9JxJ0

Or maybe not.

[hr]

The voices in my head tell me I'm not insane ... but everyone else does.
Jen the Phantom Hobbit of

Return to The Sinner's Main Board