Home

TheSinner.net

Local Elections

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Local Elections

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri May 02, 2008 10:54 am

Ho, ho, ho.

I'm delighted - eat that Gordon Brown. Next stop: London!

[hr]

"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. " -Lu Tung
Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Fri May 02, 2008 11:41 am

Boris ftw, not so much because I support him or agree with the new conservative party, but I have a deep loathing of the current mayor.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Fri May 02, 2008 12:40 pm

If I lived in London I'd be terrified. I should care, but I find it hard to be bothered about how badly Labour did. They don't deserve any better.

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri May 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Quoting WashingtonIrving from 13:40, 2nd May 2008
If I lived in London I'd be terrified. I should care, but I find it hard to be bothered about how badly Labour did. They don't deserve any better.

[hr]

I live in London, and think it's brilliant. Honestly, you don't know how bad Red Ken is...

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby Colleen on Fri May 02, 2008 3:24 pm

Stop for a minute, and imagine Boris Johnson on your telly screens, appealing for calm after a terrorist incident. Or imagine him during the Olympics.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... oker.boris This column pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. So, so glad I'm not living in London.

[hr]

taking shots for mother nature
just a twinge of cosmic angst
Colleen

Re:

Postby Gealle on Fri May 02, 2008 3:29 pm

As a politician, he'd be absolutely no worse than what George W Bush is: representative of the populous who run their nation.

I'd say Boris pretty much sums up the incompetence and buffoonery that makes British Industry great!

Plus, he's a classicist :)

Boris for King!

[hr]

So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
Gealle

Re:

Postby TCT on Fri May 02, 2008 3:37 pm

All in all, Londoners will get the mayor they deserve.
TCT

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Fri May 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Quoting Colleen from 16:24, 2nd May 2008
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... oker.boris This column pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. So, so glad I'm not living in London.

If that tripe sums up your political thinking, I'm glad you don't live in London too.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Mr Comedy on Fri May 02, 2008 4:23 pm

Unfortunately David Bean hasn't been elected in Manchester, which is a shame but not unexpected as the Conservatives have historically been behind both Labour and the Lib Dems.

Agreed Coleen, if your vote is based on the fact that Boris has floppy hair, occasionally makes amusing remarks and you don't like him just because he is a Tory, as opposed to his policies then I'm delighted you don't live in London, as you clearly aren't anywhere near the level of intellectual maturity to vote responsibly.

That article is possibly the poorest political argument I've seen in ages (which is saying something), and a potent reminder why I don't ever read the Guardian.

[hr]

Mr Comedy

Re:

Postby duckgirl on Fri May 02, 2008 4:37 pm

Snap.
But hey, at least in Liverpool there are still no tories!

Stop for a minute, and imagine Boris Johnson on your telly screens, appealing for calm after a terrorist incident. Or imagine him during the Olympics.

[hr]

duckgirl

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Fri May 02, 2008 4:43 pm

[hr]

All that article does is confirm the ham-fisted journalistic venom that can occasionally be found in the Guardian, masquerading as informed political opinion. The Independent's a lot worse usually.

I'm a Londoner, I don't want Boris in because of HIGNFY, I want him in because I subscribed to the spectator for 3 years and by and large agreed with his views whenever I flipped open the first page to read the editorial. And Ken Livingstone is Satan's little helper, so even if Boris is elected because people think he's a bit of a laugh, he's ridding us of the scourge of smug old Livingstone sitting in his ivory tower dictating how to live to the rest of us. That's worth electing Basil Brush .

[hr]

"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat May 03, 2008 12:00 am

and hey, at least you dont read the torygraph. Must be the most dull paper imaginable
Quoting duckgirl from 17:37, 2nd May 2008
Snap.

[hr]

Re:

Postby diem on Sat May 03, 2008 7:09 am

that is quite possibly the worst article i have ever read. it is actually quite painful to read!
diem

Re:

Postby MJC on Sat May 03, 2008 9:04 am

Quoting from 19:57, 2nd May 2008
and hey, at least you dont read the torygraph. Must be the most dull paper imaginable
Quoting duckgirl from 17:37, 2nd May 2008
Snap.

[hr]

Why don't you actually try reading the telegraph rather than making an assumption as to its content.
MJC

Re:

Postby Senethro on Sat May 03, 2008 9:41 am

Jesus christ, noone should be made to actually read the telegraph
Senethro

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Sat May 03, 2008 11:19 am

I find it boring to read the Telegraph because I already agree with a lot of what's said. Far more interesting to read the Guardian (or if I have a bit more change, the New Stateseman), some of the mad ideas in there send the pulse up a notch. Polly Toynbee...nuff said.

[hr]

"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Re:

Postby MJC on Sat May 03, 2008 11:40 am

Quoting Hennessy from 12:19, 3rd May 2008
I find it boring to read the Telegraph because I already agree with a lot of what's said. Far more interesting to read the Guardian (or if I have a bit more change, the New Stateseman), some of the mad ideas in there send the pulse up a notch. Polly Toynbee...nuff said.

[hr]

"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers

Try reading Heffer on a Wednesday or a Saturday, there will always be something there to entertain you.
MJC

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sat May 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Yep, that article pretty much sucked; anybody who writes

I'm genetically predisposed to hate the Tories. It's my default, hard-wired position.

whether it's about the Conservatives or any legitimate political party, pretty much disqualifies themselves from having an opinion.

Thanks for the mention, Dave - I didn't win, and wasn't expecting to either, but I did manage to gain in our vote share in the ward for the first time in more than fifteen years, so I'm pleased enough! :)

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Jono on Sat May 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Yay! Tory Time for Toy Town!

I think this pretty much shows the state of play: It wasn't Blair the country was sick of. It was the centralistic Browno-Blairite new-ageist crap. Hail to the inevitable rule wealthy Comrade Cameron.

And they only have another year to hold a general election... Happy days!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby McK on Sat May 03, 2008 2:39 pm

Quoting Jono from 14:49, 3rd May 2008
Yay! Tory Time for Toy Town!

I think this pretty much shows the state of play: It wasn't Blair the country was sick of. It was the centralistic Browno-Blairite new-ageist crap. Hail to the inevitable rule wealthy Comrade Cameron.

And they only have another year to hold a general election... Happy days!

Two years actually.
McK

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board