Home

TheSinner.net

Nice thing poll.

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Nice thing poll.

Postby Duggeh on Tue May 06, 2008 12:06 am

The popular answer being what it is, why do you think it is that there isn't a greater amount of non-sexual (although not necessarily non-chat) sleeping together among friends/the populace?

Perhaps an intriguing idea for a society. Slumbersoc or something.

Discuss.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
-Welcome to The Sinner. Sorry about your thin skin.
Duggeh

Re:

Postby ARTooD2 on Tue May 06, 2008 12:44 am

Quoting Duggeh from 01:06, 6th May 2008
The popular answer being what it is, why do you think it is that there isn't a greater amount of non-sexual (although not necessarily non-chat) sleeping together among friends/the populace?

Perhaps an intriguing idea for a society. Slumbersoc or something.

Discuss.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
-Welcome to The Sinner. Sorry about your thin skin.

Not discussing the question at all but I personally hate the body heat when you're sleeping with someone...it makes me sweat and be smelly...

[hr]

King Sinner
King Sinner
ARTooD2

Re:

Postby Thalia on Tue May 06, 2008 1:43 am

Yeah, i tend to cuddle up for a few mins and then i'm too warm and need to move away if i want to sleep. Of course, it helps when you actually have space to move away, you just have to learn to adapt when you've only got a single bed :P

I think i would say the nicest thing is less the body heat and more just knowing that they're there. The comforting feeling of not being alone.

And in answer to the original question - I kinda see sharing a bed as an intimate thing. I wouldn't tend to offer space in my bed to a friend unless the other option was something like a cold hard floor for them :P But i always just kinda saw that as one of those things that happens when you grow up - sharing a bed gets linked with relationships and sex so it starts to feel kinda odd to just sleep together with a friend like you would when you were younger.

Although i don't mind the thought of sleeping next to someone somewhere other than in my own bed...so maybe it's more to do with my linking my bed to relationships rather than sleeping next to someone, eh, i dunno.

But then, maybe that's just me and i'm odd - maybe everyone else would be happy to cuddle up together if the option arose ;-)

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Tue May 06, 2008 4:09 am

It's nice to see I'm no longer alone in thinking the chat is rather nice.

As for the warm body... I detest sharing a bed. I find it very difficult to get used to going to sleep with someone else in my bed, and even after I'm 'used' to it, I still prefer to sleep alone. Perhaps the result of being an only child? Or maybe I have trust issues?

A hundred years ago, sharing beds was common. Even complete strangers would regularly share beds in hotels and inns, where the tariff would be for a bed space and not a room. I suspect the aversion to sharing beds with friends and even strangers is another symptom of our self-obsessed era.

[hr]

Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby the_leish on Tue May 06, 2008 9:35 am

I prefer sleeping alone. I get too warm at night anyway - can't imagine what it would be like with another body.

[hr]

Apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population. Amazing...
Apparently, three out of every four people make up 75% of the population. Amazing...
the_leish

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Tue May 06, 2008 10:30 am

I don't really have an opinion for or against, it depends on the situation. I'd say it was wrong to share a bed with a friend of the opposite sex when you're going out with someone else, but I personally don't mind sharing a double bed with anyone, if they need it. The problem comes when it's a single bed and you really don't have enough space. As a light sleeper that basically means a hellish night of trying to get comfortable without discomfiting the other person.

[hr]

"What happened to Spoon?"
"There is no Spoon"
Dog Soldiers
The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
Hennessy

Re:

Postby kat-starts-fires on Thu May 08, 2008 3:45 am

agree with athalia, sharing beds a bit too weird and uncomfortable.
may seem like a cold unfeeling bitch, but i took to the floor even when my dear mum came to visit, even with the expanse of a double bed to seperate us. though comfort there was definately compromised when the floor heating came on and fried me like an egg.
so basically a lose lose situation
kat-starts-fires

Re:

Postby kitty on Thu May 08, 2008 8:39 am

Hmm...I see no problem with sleeping in the same bed with your friends. I still sleep in the same bed with my female friends and have done so a few times with my male friends. It's a bit strange to cuddle while sleeping with male friends unless you're somehow totally sure that it's entirely platonic cuddling.
kitty

Re:

Postby the Empress on Thu May 08, 2008 5:04 pm

I've shared double beds with friends, but only when there weren't any real comfy alternatives. I'd find it a bit weird to share just for the sake of sharing. I tend to spend the whole night on the very edge of the bed tho (not any real plan, I just never seem to move from this tiny space). That said, if my friend cuddled up to me, I wouldn't do anything about it (extreme ambivalence to this stuff). But my dog snuggles up to me at home, and we often fall asleep together, so I don't object to sharing per se . . . not that I'm comparing my friends to dogs or anything;)
the Empress

Return to The Sinner's Main Board