Home

TheSinner.net

Comments at Work

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Comments at Work

Postby beeny on Tue May 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Following on from the pet hates thread, I realised that one of the worst parts of my job is the fact that people can be so bloody rude to waiting staff or people in other sectors of the service industry.

For example, a man once asked for a stroganoff whilst I was taking his table's order and then looked at me disparagingly and asked if I knew how to spell this. I informed him I did and was congratulated for having my 'English GCSE'. (Except of course, I'm Scottish and thus did Standard Grades....). I took great delight in informing him I was actually at university here and studying biochemistry at which point he shut up and was told by his wife to stop being so rude to the staff.

However, incidents like this aren't entirely isolated. I've had many people staunchly refuse to believe I'm at university here. When asked if I'm full time (sympathetic smile), I say I'm a student to which I get 'At one of the colleges?' Noooo. Here. Not that there's anything wrong with a college education, I just don't see why it's so hard for someone to believe that waiting staff, or any other student who needs a job to get by in this town, can't also be relatively intelligent.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this, or am I just unlucky/give off a certain vibe?

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue May 06, 2008 3:48 pm

I used to get extremely disparaging remarks when I worked on Boots' photography counter back home by snooty 'yummy mummies'. I always allowed them to get to the end of their rude complaints before clamly informing them that I was a full-time sixth-form student studying for four A-levels and working Sundays to save for University.

Just as an aside, if you do get photos processed at Boots or wherever, do say thank you; it's not an easy process and at peak times is quite a high-pressure environment to work in.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue May 06, 2008 3:50 pm

I think in this case its just because you look so young. If I didn't know better I don't think I'd put you much over 18.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Thalia on Tue May 06, 2008 4:00 pm

I worked as a waitress and housekeeper back home in Dunoon and i always found the customers to be really nice. I never met one who questioned me when I said i was at uni.

The worst i got was that sometimes i was just ignored except when it came to the orders but i guess some people just want to come in, eat and leave again and i wouldn't say there was anything wrong with that.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby beeny on Tue May 06, 2008 4:11 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 16:50, 6th May 2008
I think in this case its just because you look so young. If I didn't know better I don't think I'd put you much over 18.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”

:(

[hr]

beeny

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue May 06, 2008 4:16 pm

I always try to make sure that serving me is the highlight of a waitress/till operator's day and say please, thank you, and am generally pleasant.

I've once snapped at a receptionist and immediately regretted it because it wasn't her fault that her company was fucking useless.

My current job means that I get a fair bit of crap from "customers", but if there's any problems, I can just put it in a little report and pass it on to my boss. Beating somebody with The System can be incredibly satisfying.

[hr]

I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby FuzzyBeans on Tue May 06, 2008 4:23 pm

I flat out refuse to waitress again after the way i was treated at the Links Clubhouse by the customers. One customer actually got up out of their seat to stroke me on the face and tell me things will get better!!! Its ridiculous. Another woman caught me in the toilet fixing my shirt and tried to make conversation and i quote, "Do you play golf then, or can you not afford it......?" cow.

Waitressing is the most demeaning job and requires extremely patient people. I am not one of them.

[hr]

If you disagree with anything im saying, you're wrong!....
FuzzyBeans

Re:

Postby FuzzyBeans on Tue May 06, 2008 4:35 pm

Just to add to my previous statement, i was waitressing at various different places for about 4 years in total until i went to the Links, so its not like i tried it once. And for the record, i have never worked as a waitress anywhere where the customers have thought my IQ to be anything but below average. I would say a number there for impact but i dont know what the average is.........

[hr]

FuzzyBeans

Re:

Postby Cain on Tue May 06, 2008 4:35 pm

Quoting FuzzyBeans from 17:23, 6th May 2008
I flat out refuse to waitress again after the way i was treated at the Links Clubhouse by the customers.

I was relatively fortunate when I did the R&A anniversary dinners; the worst that I had to put up with was old buffers who were clearly very drunk keeping me around for the canapes. I had a decent level of chat from most of the customers (not that this equated to any form of tips).

A friend of mine had to pointedly remind customers that her arse was not for groping. No, really, that doesn't mean you can do it again. Actually, I see that you're wife's spotted you. She also received no money tips.

We did have fun and games from vegetarian diners who moved from their alotted seat without informing the waiting staff and were then outraged to be presented with a meat option.

[hr]

Cain

Re:

Postby Jono on Tue May 06, 2008 4:45 pm

No offense intended here; but some of you should really reconsider your positions!

In my experience taking insults, eating shit, and letting customers use your dignity to soak up the pint they spilled (before acting like it's your fault and asking for a free replacement) is part of the job description! I consider being a bitch (while at work anyway) to be a life skill! If you feel like that is in some way unfair; perhaps you're in the wrong line of work.

Unless of course this is part of the therapeutic complaining about everything; which is an equally important part of the job description (and indeed, staves off those killing-sprees). In which case, ignore me!
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby LonelyPilgrim on Tue May 06, 2008 4:46 pm

Try working security at a drive-in movie theatre in the middle of the American Midwest. Of course, I didn't get as much disrespect from the customers as I did from the boss/owner - he had a PhD in Pharmocology which he felt made him God. I occassionally had to remind him that despite his impressive degree he was... running a drive-in movie theatre.

[hr]

Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
Man is free; yet we must not suppose that he is at liberty to do everything he pleases, for he becomes a slave the moment he allows his actions to be ruled by passion. --Giacomo Casanova
LonelyPilgrim

Re:

Postby Tigger on Tue May 06, 2008 5:25 pm

If this is Karleen....
we all know your not at uni.
your a beach bum.
so there.
xxxxxx

Quoting beeny from 15:58, 6th May 2008
Following on from the pet hates thread, I realised that one of the worst parts of my job is the fact that people can be so bloody rude to waiting staff or people in other sectors of the service industry.

For example, a man once asked for a stroganoff whilst I was taking his table's order and then looked at me disparagingly and asked if I knew how to spell this. I informed him I did and was congratulated for having my 'English GCSE'. (Except of course, I'm Scottish and thus did Standard Grades....). I took great delight in informing him I was actually at university here and studying biochemistry at which point he shut up and was told by his wife to stop being so rude to the staff.

However, incidents like this aren't entirely isolated. I've had many people staunchly refuse to believe I'm at university here. When asked if I'm full time (sympathetic smile), I say I'm a student to which I get 'At one of the colleges?' Noooo. Here. Not that there's anything wrong with a college education, I just don't see why it's so hard for someone to believe that waiting staff, or any other student who needs a job to get by in this town, can't also be relatively intelligent.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this, or am I just unlucky/give off a certain vibe?

[hr]

[hr]

My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
My Wings Are Like A Shield of Steel...
(Claire Raynor)
Tigger

Re:

Postby Raindog on Tue May 06, 2008 6:12 pm

Ah nearly got punted fer heederin a cunt that started on uz when ah was workin in Costa.
Raindog

Re:

Postby Garnet on Tue May 06, 2008 6:35 pm

I've never informed a customer i was at Uni, i don't think that should matter, most people are under stimulated & overqualified for mundane jobs, although i suppose it does make a good rebuttal. So many customers do seem incapable of understanding that people have a life outside of serving them, and i used to think the people who had never had such a job were easy to point out however sadly i've known a few people who would complain about the way customers treated them and then when we were out places would treat staff there quite badly.

Anyway as for stories, a few spring to mind. I worked at the box office for the edinburgh fringe 2006. This american women told me she had gone to see braveheart. Since I was on the box office of the fringe, i assumed she was talking about a show, i didn't recognise it but then there are thousands of shows. So i asked her if it was any good, and she looked puzzled, and then i asked her if she meant the film. She then said she had been to Stirling, and it clicked that she was talking about the William Wallace monument, but before i could speak she started explaining that 'braveheart had rescued me from the English' and gave me this look like i was an idiot for not knowing.

I used to work at a cinema and usually at the concession stand, and every second customer would moan at me about the prices, which pissed me off as if was pretty obvious i didn't set them, i wasn't making them buy them and if they had any sense they would go to the shops down the stairs.

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Tue May 06, 2008 8:11 pm

Bullshit. You should not have to be subjected to abuse, groping or insults no matter what job you are in. I dont take shit from students in hall and i didnt take shit from customers in the bars i worked in.

Quoting jono from 17:45, 6th May 2008
No offense intended here; but some of you should really reconsider your positions!

In my experience taking insults, eating shit, and letting customers use your dignity to soak up the pint they spilled (before acting like it's your fault and asking for a free replacement) is part of the job description! I consider being a bitch (while at work anyway) to be a life skill! If you feel like that is in some way unfair; perhaps you're in the wrong line of work.

Unless of course this is part of the therapeutic complaining about everything; which is an equally important part of the job description (and indeed, staves off those killing-sprees). In which case, ignore me!

[hr]

i didnt say i was consistant, just right!
nighteyes

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Tue May 06, 2008 8:21 pm

What happened to displaying some manners? For the past 4 weeks I have been on a placement working involving working with members of the public and I have been stunned at how rude and arrogant some of them can be. I will always make the effort to say please, thank you etc and apologise when I have personally made a mistake. I know no matter how hacked off I am feeling, that individual is dealing with me for the first time today and first impressions count and if I am negative it reflects badly on the organisation.

However, there is absolutely no need for anyone to swear and be abusive towards someone who is trying to help them. It really hacked me off when they'd have a go at me because they hadn't bothered to read the information provided to them.....

Member of the public: "where's my f****** poll station b****?"
Me: We sent out the poll cards a fortnight ago apologies if you haven't received yours, however your polling station is xyz
Member of the public: "yeah I f****** know where it is I just wanted to waste your time...hahahaha"

Seriously? Some people just make me mad....and these people have the vote too.....

Others abused me 2 days before the election because they had decided to book a holiday on election day and so couldn't vote......even though we have sent them reminders every month since last September that there is an election on and if they're not going to be around then they need to make arrangements to vote by proxy or postal......gah!

The foul racist abuse and the threats to get me raped were the worst though....seriously what is wrong with people?
harmless loony

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Tue May 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Working in St Andrews it isn't hard to notice that being a student does not in any way prevent you from being a complete idiot. Stupidity is probably the best common ground we have.
thePontificator

Re:

Postby groovy on Wed May 07, 2008 12:06 am

Quoting Tigger from 18:25, 6th May 2008
If this is Karleen....
we all know your not at uni.
your a beach bum.
so there.
xxxxxx

If this is Gordon....
we all know your trying to shag Karleen
but it's ok
so there.
xxxxxx

[hr]

Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
Remember now, there's a big difference between kneeling down and BENDING OVER!
groovy

Re:

Postby angel_kohaku on Wed May 07, 2008 12:44 am

Always. It's the old cliché about not knowing how rude people are to waiting staff until you are on the receiving end, but it's SO true.

Also, at the sailing school during the summer we were discussing exam results (I think it was the day of/after the SQA results came out) and some ten year old kid pipes up "Perhaps if you'd worked harder at your exams you'd have a better job than teaching sailing". I then informed him that I was at university and had long passed all my exams and done well. Cheeky shit.

[hr]

I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
I may be a pretty sad case but I don't write jokes in base 13
angel_kohaku

Re:

Postby nighteyes on Wed May 07, 2008 1:18 am

Which lovely place of this isle do you live harmless looney?

[hr]

nighteyes

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board