Home

TheSinner.net

Comments at Work

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Wed May 07, 2008 1:36 am

She lives in London iirc - possibly the rudest place on the planet!

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Re:

Postby harmless loony on Wed May 07, 2008 9:53 am

Actually I'm currently in the North West.....although divide my time between here and Warwick for work purposes.

I suppose it's the joys of being a public sector worker....the public fail to realise that we don't make the decisions, the politicians do, but however, they still feel we're fair game......I was given a front line placement to see the realities of working with the public (let's just say I definitely got that!)

Having said all that in my previous post though - the vast majority of the people I spoke to were polite and made my day worthwhile but the nasty ones were particularly nasty and left me feeling quite ill.

The one that made me laugh was a guy who spent 25 minutes being rude to me and swearing at me on the phone and towards the end once he had calmed down he said "I've been so nasty to you and you've been so calm...how do you do it?" My answer was I have no idea!

After all of that I have a lot of respect for those who work on the front line and still stay calm. No one should have to experience rudeness in their line of work....and I disagree with the poster who said it's part and parcel of certain jobs.
harmless loony

Re:

Postby Guest on Wed May 07, 2008 12:11 pm

I worked at a pub at home during the university holidays. On one of the busy days I was out glass collecting. I stopped to clear a mountain of glasses off one table and a lashed up customer started to take the piss out of me, not having good hearing I couldn't make out what he was saying. I gather he was calling me a retard as I was a 22 year old glass collector. His wife then told him to stop it and told me to ignore him (rather in the manner of awww the poor retard, how mean). I was so surprised I couldn't even think of a reply.

I always make sure I treat bar staff the way I want to be treated and tip them when I can afford it. I really hate arrogant rude shitty customers.

Re:

Postby beeny on Wed May 07, 2008 1:14 pm

Quoting Tigger from 18:25, 6th May 2008
If this is Karleen....
we all know your not at uni.
your a beach bum.
so there.
xxxxxx

not Karleen. But I know her :) and you.

Oooooh scary.

[hr]

'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
'But what do I know? I'm a bear; I suck the heads off fish.'
beeny

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Wed May 07, 2008 3:24 pm

Staff should be allowed to insult customers back on some occasions, eg.

Me: Scuse me, would you mind turning your mobile off?
Customer: Why?
Me: Um, cos it's annoying and distracting for other customers if you keep leaving to answer your phone.
Customer: No it isn't.
Me: ...

Now, what I would like to have said instead of '...' is 'Yes it is you smug twat, why don't people like you have the decency to curl up and die?' but I'm not allowed to.
thePontificator

Re:

Postby Haunted on Wed May 07, 2008 3:32 pm

In what place of custom can a customer not leave to answer his phone?
Ok cinema, was that the situation you were talking about?

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Wed May 07, 2008 3:48 pm

Relaxation Therapy
Anti-Natal Classes
Lectures (that you pay for)
Opera
Ballet

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Haunted on Wed May 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Yes ok I should've generalised cinema to 'group activity requiring minimal disruption'.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby thePontificator on Wed May 07, 2008 6:14 pm

Yeah, it was a cinema. Another interesting thing about cinemas is the number of people who turn up late to films and, upon being told they're late, proceed to walk into the cinema making as much noise as possible.
thePontificator

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed May 07, 2008 6:45 pm

It's the culture of the self. What gets me is that I don't think a lot of this is meant to be rude, people just believe they're that important.

We need another war.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby Latin alumna on Wed May 07, 2008 11:53 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 16:48, 7th May 2008

Anti-Natal Classes

Dude, that's ante-natal classes. Ante is like a pre- prefix, meaning before-.

Anti-natal classes would be classes against birth :D
Latin alumna

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board