Home

TheSinner.net

Nowhere to live

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Nowhere to live

Postby hopie on Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:25 pm

[rant mode]I got my letter from accomadation services telling me they couldnt offer a place in hall.
I went along this morning and they told me all the halls are "oversubscribed" and there are no waiting lists and there not likely to know if any hall places are available till the back end of may
Unless i can find a flat within my price range im right royally fucked and cant come back next year.[/rant mode]

anyone else not got a place to live next year or on one of those half year contracts at drh? its really pissing me off that i might not be able to come back because of the accomadation allocation system - if id have known earlier on in the year there were no hall places i might have gone out and found a flat - isnt there any way to have the system changed?

[hr]If you are looking for a Microsoft product that doesn’t suck, wait till they bring out a vacuum cleaner!

http://www.druglordsgame.com/index.php?ref=1692
Im not jesus christ, Ive come to accept that now....
hopie

Re:

Postby stan on Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:30 pm

the same thing happened to me. i especially enjoyed the list of university managed property which all appear to be full up. useful me thinks not.

[hr]its a good job your mamma died giving birth. if she'd seen yer, she'd a died of shame.
stan

Re:

Postby Mr Tickle on Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:50 pm

IMHO do not panic, best bet if you want a hall place may be to just turn up in september and squat on a friends floor untill a fresher drops out, dont sign a contract that you later reget.

check out the notice board in the union and the folder in the general office, there are probably still rooms availble there.

good luck,

if you want help with private accom, as your new src private accom rep if you e-mail me i will see what i can do.

[hr]Are you tickly? if you are, be afraid, be very afraid.
Mr Tickle

Re:

Postby niall on Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:25 pm

i would check again about uni managed properties about town. i was offered a flat but couldnt take it and one of myu friends house hasnt been taken.

[hr]its a spoon!

http://www.tastyspoon.com
niall

Re:

Postby RRankin on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:10 pm

Does this happen alot? Seems pretty unfair. Is it because St Andrews have been expanding their intake faster than their accommodation?
RRankin

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:14 pm

What gets my back up is that poorer students can be left with nowhere to go while yahs from their hall get back in, when they could easily afford a flat.

It just doesn't seem fair.
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby andyefc on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:22 pm

A mate of mine didn't get in either, and he was applying to go back into the same hall. And they say if you are already in the hall, then u have a better chance of geting back in.

Hmmm...i think its terrible that they cant accommodate for the students who want to go back into halls.
andyefc

Re:

Postby McK on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:28 pm

I think we all know it was the University's greed in 2001 which really started this problem. A certain royal gentleman's arrival meant that Residential & Business Services saw the opportunity to exploit naive first yrs and stick them in 'vertical twins' in New Hall and charge the earth for it. That 'bulk year' is really causing the problem right now, and the uni has nobody to blame but its own greedy little hierarchy.

(I'm not bitter, cos I've got a flat -- but I have had too much experience of Isobel Clifford and that guy who runs Res Serv)
McK

Re:

Postby Michael on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:41 pm

Yeah, I'm in exactly the same position, and I'm a first year in Chattan. Great fun...
Michael

Re:

Postby Cain on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:42 pm

Yes, but the fine of £100,000 for over-recruiting will definitely make the university think twice about taking in too many students, especially when the extra intake earned them a few million in revenue.

How much do you think they actually care about us?

[hr]
whoever kills Cain will suffer a sevenfold vengeance
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Mr Melville 1997 on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:47 pm

The rot really set in last year when the uni really let too many people in...

When I moved into Melville in 1997 you were pretty much guaranteed a room in Hall for 4 years - we even had 40 rooms lying empty in Melville after that.

Our Warden then, who was a very scary lady, used to boot you out your room and force you to move to another vacant room if your neighbour complained about your music too much (like more than twice a year).

How things have changed...
Mr Melville 1997

Re:

Postby gingerbeer on Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:39 pm

[s]Cain wrote on 21:42, 24th Mar 2003:

How much do you think they actually care about us?

From previous experience, I'd have to say 'not very much', unless of course you've got money.

[hr]
It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett
gingerbeer

university over-recruitment

Postby ButlerLass on Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:44 pm

the 100,000 pound fine isn't going to make the university think twice for half a second. they KNEW they would get that fine and over-recruited even more to compensate, thus ensuring they were still well inside the profit margin even after their 100,000 pound 'punishment'. they'll probably play the same infuriating, dirty trick all over again. isn't there anything we can do about this?
ButlerLass

Re:

Postby cheimon on Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:04 am

I just hate how expensive the flats are, it's just insane. A friend of mine graduated five years ago, and during her time, the most she ever spent on a flat per week was £48. I'm paying about £70, and I know that's basically average for a nice place in the middle of town. grrr!
cheimon

Re:

Postby Warlike Lover on Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:40 pm

Why does everyone NEED to be in the centre of town? St Andrews isn't so big - after all the longest distance to walk is effectively from Gatty to DRH, and that's only just under 2 miles.

Safeway is less than a mile from Market Street.

Even if you're a slow walker, then you're only going to be on foot for 30 minutes or so. On a bike, it's less than 10.

If you were living in a big city such as Edinburgh, I'm sure you wouldn't think twice about the distances.

I think it's worth considering the accommodation further out from the centre of town, as it would benefit both your wallets and health.
Warlike Lover

Re:

Postby ButlerLass on Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:19 am

none of that has shit to do with the fact that the university doesn't give a crap about the position students are in regarding accomodation. we flat out don't get what we pay for, whether we're in the center of town or not.
ButlerLass

out of town

Postby Mr T needs work on Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:26 am

besides, the rent prices in the so called 'badlands' are now almost if not just as high as in the centre of town...
Mr T needs work

Re:

Postby Cola Cube on Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:39 am

Exactly. I can't afford a flat even in the outskirts of St Andrews so what am I supposed to do?
Cola Cube

Re:

Postby Mr T needs work on Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:58 am

flats on largo rd are now in the 60-70 quid bracket. i hardly call that easy on the wallet.
Mr T needs work

Re:

Postby Zombie Sheep on Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:29 am

Im staying in 8 largo road next year and paying only £54. It is also the closest even numbered flat to town!

[hr]........that's almost as important as when the guys in the bar in Berlin said "Go on adolf, do that funny walk thing"
Zombie Sheep

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board