Home

TheSinner.net

The John Honey Award

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The John Honey Award

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Mon May 12, 2008 6:30 pm

Since it's nearly the time of year when HLMs and the like are dished out, procrastinatory curiosity has me wondering about the John Honey Award.

Having sat on the awarding body last year I know what the requirements for its attainment are (outstanding, selfless, extraordinary and otherwise near-saintly dedication to helping one's fellow man in pretty much any way), but I'd very much like to know who has won it in the past, and what for.

That said, I'm deliberately refraining from mentioning the two names I do know - since I can't find a list on t'internet I wonder if the winners are eternally confidential?

Discuss.

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Mon May 12, 2008 9:20 pm

Not so much confidential as just never mentioned anywhere.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Tue May 13, 2008 11:16 pm

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 19:30, 12th May 2008
I wonder if the winners are eternally confidential?

Unless things have changed since I won it (in 2005), the names are inscribed on the Cup itself, so you could check there. I suspect it still lurks in the Association President's office, being big and silver-coloured and worth a bob or two.

To add to your list of 'winners', I believe Arabella Grinstead received the award before me. I should point out that there were only a tiny handful of others before us, as the award itself is of no great antiquity.
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue May 13, 2008 11:57 pm

Arabella was one of the only two that I know of - Beth Irvine being the other.

What (if you don't mind my asking) were the merits upon which you won it, RJ Covino?

[hr]

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed May 14, 2008 12:01 am

I'm still miffed to have been the recipient of an outstanding service award before it was properly formalised as the John Honey Award, and to, therefore, not be one of the winners.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby SchizophrenicCabbage on Wed May 14, 2008 12:09 am

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 00:57, 14th May 2008
Arabella was one of the only two that I know of - Beth Irvine being the other.

What (if you don't mind my asking) were the merits upon which you won it, RJ Covino?

[hr]

For being the greatest Classics tutor ever! Your rocked my CL1002 world more than, umm... Odysseus was by the god-influenced sea!

[Also, I still think Achilles and Patroclus (this is severely from fading memory now) were/are the greatest 'lovvvvers' on the planet; and, I place my footnotes, within the text, relatively properly now - your violent comments about them in my essays finally got through... ish.]

God, I hope you don't work out who this is!
SchizophrenicCabbage

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Wed May 14, 2008 12:20 am

Hey guys
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby RJ Covino on Wed May 14, 2008 10:06 am

Quoting Bizarre Atheist from 00:57, 14th May 2008

I don't believe they were enumerated beyond the standard "years of selfless service to the students of St Andrews".
RJ Covino

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Wed May 14, 2008 10:17 am

When could you have found time to do that?

Still, it beats "oh, we already gave you HLM three times".
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Al on Wed May 14, 2008 5:30 pm

Quoting exnihilo from 01:01, 14th May 2008
I'm still miffed to have been the recipient of an outstanding service award before it was properly formalised as the John Honey Award, and to, therefore, not be one of the winners.

Well, I'm miffed that not only was I not considered worthy enough for HLM - despite having done an awful lot more than some recipients - but I am now seemingly the only former student member of SAB to be so treated.
Al

Re:

Postby BenEsq on Wed May 14, 2008 10:37 pm

Quoting Al from 18:30, 14th May 2008

Well, I'm miffed that not only was I not considered worthy enough for HLM - despite having done an awful lot more than some recipients - but I am now seemingly the only former student member of SAB to be so treated.

Actually, there are at least two former members of SAB that have graduated not receiving an HLM.

[hr]

Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
Lions and tigers and bears...Oh my!
BenEsq

Re:

Postby away on Thu May 15, 2008 8:33 am

Arabella Grinstead was one. Didn't Ralph Covino get it once?
away

Re:

Postby Benesq on Thu May 15, 2008 8:34 am

Quoting Al from 18:30, 14th May 2008

No, there are other former members of SAB to not receive it - though I can only think of two.
Benesq

Re:

Postby Al on Thu May 15, 2008 8:56 am

Quoting BenEsq from 23:37, 14th May 2008
Actually, there are at least two former members of SAB that have graduated not receiving an HLM.

It's not much comfort to know that I am not the only one whose contribution was adjudged worthless. Who are these fellow misfortunates?
Al

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu May 15, 2008 10:12 am

Quoting Al from 09:56, 15th May 2008
Quoting BenEsq from 23:37, 14th May 2008

It's not much comfort to know that I am not the only one whose contribution was adjudged worthless. Who are these fellow misfortunates?

Oh quit yer bellyaching! There are only a limited number given away. Maybe your contribution; great though it was no doubt, didn't come high enough up on the list.

Honestly, this idea that sitting on Board should give you an automatic HLM. Oh, so you placed yourself in liabilities way for two years; here's a fucking cookie! As for those who slog their guts out to the betterment of the Association in other ways; we'll just ignore them shall we?

Honours only remain honours when imparted only upon the truly honourable. It's reprimand for those who fall short. Honours for those who go above and beyond. The rest of us can must make do with silence.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Thu May 15, 2008 10:22 am

Perhaps you should learn of the achievements and contributions of others before spouting off, Jono.

Otherwise, you just look like a twat.
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu May 15, 2008 11:49 am

Quoting ewan husami from 11:22, 15th May 2008
Perhaps you should learn of the achievements and contributions of others before spouting off, Jono.

But I am a twat! be that as it may, I don't recall saying that Al's contributions were negligable or unworthy. Perhaps you should read what's written; less there be more than one twat amongst us.

The (separate) point is, merely doing the job for which you volunteered, or are paid for, is not a legitimate reason to be honoured. You don't give a HLM to members of the bar staff for serving drinks. Why should members of the SAB receive honours for merely dispensing with the duties for which their positions exist?
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu May 15, 2008 12:56 pm

Quoting Jono from 12:49, 15th May 2008

But I am a twat! be that as it may, I don't recall saying that Al's contributions were negligable or unworthy. Perhaps you should read what's written; less there be more than one twat amongst us.

The (separate) point is, merely doing the job for which you volunteered, or are paid for, is not a legitimate reason to be honoured. You don't give a HLM to members of the bar staff for serving drinks. Why should members of the SAB receive honours for merely dispensing with the duties for which their positions exist?

By that argument, no one should receive a HLM, because they volunteered to do all the things they did.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Thu May 15, 2008 12:56 pm

I'd fire someone for dispensing with the duties for which they were paid. But that's just me, I understand English.

As I said, tho, Al, I got HLM three times (for nothing much really), so you can have one of mine if you'd like.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Jono on Thu May 15, 2008 2:47 pm

Quoting Steveo from 13:56, 15th May 2008
Quoting Jono from 12:49, 15th May 2008

By that argument, no one should receive a HLM, because they volunteered to do all the things they did.

[hr]

Get off my internet.

The other end of that extreme is that everyone in the Association should automatically receive HLM By virtue of their voluntary service.

There is a difference between doing a job, doing a job badly, and doing a job bloody brilliantly. That is what I mean.

This strikes me as another one of those pointless disagreements where everyone agrees in principal.
Jono

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board