Home

TheSinner.net

Library closing procedure

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Library closing procedure

Postby RandomMusings on Thu May 15, 2008 11:35 pm

Does anyone else find it irritating and potentially dangerous when the library staff turn off the lights at closing time when people are still in the building?

I mean, the bells are bloody loud enough to make people leave - turning off the lights when laptop cables and chairs are strewn across the floor just seems downright irresponsible to me.

I wonder who instructs them to do this...

[hr]

I hate the word random.
I hate my username.
I like paper.
I like recycled paper even more.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Thu May 15, 2008 11:49 pm

I do.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri May 16, 2008 12:19 am

Don't they turn the lights off at exactly the time when all students should have left the library?

If so, then surely the solution to your problem is to leave the library when you are supposed to?

If not, then the solution is to speak to the library rep about the timing of the lights going off.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Fri May 16, 2008 12:24 am

Quoting munchingfoo from 01:19, 16th May 2008
Don't they turn the lights off at exactly the time when all students should have left the library?

If so, then surely the solution to your problem is to leave the library when you are supposed to?

If not, then the solution is to speak to the library rep about the timing of the lights going off.

No, they turn the lights off (on the ground floor at least) when they ring the second bell (the one that goes 10 minutes before closing). This is the time that everyone is supposed to be packing away and leaving. Still doesn't seem sensible to me to turn the lights off when people are tidying away.

[hr]

I hate the word random.
I hate my username.
I like paper.
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Fri May 16, 2008 12:26 am

And I've already raised this at a meeting of the SRC. The education committee appear to have had no luck - this practice has been going on for at least 6 months, maybe longer.

[hr]

I hate the word random.
I hate my username.
I like paper.
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby Jono on Fri May 16, 2008 1:05 am

I recall a recent hilarious article in The Saint, about someone being locked in the library...

0wn3d!

[hr]

I disagree with you in principle.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby schmod on Fri May 16, 2008 1:50 am

This sounds like something to take up with the University's Health & Safety folks.

I imagine that once they catch word of it, that the practice will be stopped almost immediately.
schmod

Re:

Postby Andrew Mackenzie on Fri May 16, 2008 3:07 am

Quoting RandomMusings from 01:26, 16th May 2008

And I've already raised this at a meeting of the SRC. The education committee appear to have had no luck - this practice has been going on for at least 6 months, maybe longer.

[hr]

I hate the word random.
I hate my username.
I like paper.

I'm aware an issue has been raised surrounding library closing procedure - but as far as I recall, it was specifically to do with the lights on the stairs being turned off. The Education Committee quickly brought this to the attention of the Library and they are going to isolate the lights on the stairs so that they no longer go off when the main lights are turned off.

The reason stated by the library for turning the lights on and off during closing is to make people who haven't heard the bell (as lots of people wear headphones) aware it is closing time.

I'll be happy to raise your safety concerns with the library and see if we can come to some arrangement that the lights are maybe only 'flicked' on and off, and even then only after the majority of people have had time to pack up. Would this be preferable? Please do pass me any comments you have regarding the library and I'll do my best to get them sorted.

Cheers,
Andrew Mackenzie
(SRC Education Officer)
Andrew Mackenzie

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Fri May 16, 2008 6:33 am

I'm going to be honest, I can't believe University Health & Safety would particularly agree with the lights being turned off at all.
I listen to music when working in the library and have never yet not heard the bell go off. If someone is going to 'miss' the bells, then they are also likely to 'miss' the significance of the lights going off. If someone wearing headphones doesn't notice that the rest of the room is packing up, then they are probably the people that still sit at their tables until the staff come round to kick them out.

The only thing I can suggest, is maybe 1 bell at 11:30 and 2 rings of the bell at 11:50 (or equivilent time). Last night the lights went out for a good 15 seconds - time for any injury to be caused anywhere in the building.
On the plus side, well done to the library staff member who kept asking people to be quiet last night - as it was very noisey in there.

Appreciate your work thus far, Andrew, but now am thinking there is something else to be done with it. Cheers

[hr]

I hate the word random.
I hate my username.
I like paper.
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby Andrew Mackenzie on Fri May 16, 2008 1:50 pm

Quoting RandomMusings from 07:33, 16th May 2008
I'm going to be honest, I can't believe University Health & Safety would particularly agree with the lights being turned off at all.
I listen to music when working in the library and have never yet not heard the bell go off. If someone is going to 'miss' the bells, then they are also likely to 'miss' the significance of the lights going off. If someone wearing headphones doesn't notice that the rest of the room is packing up, then they are probably the people that still sit at their tables until the staff come round to kick them out.

The only thing I can suggest, is maybe 1 bell at 11:30 and 2 rings of the bell at 11:50 (or equivilent time). Last night the lights went out for a good 15 seconds - time for any injury to be caused anywhere in the building.
On the plus side, well done to the library staff member who kept asking people to be quiet last night - as it was very noisey in there.

Appreciate your work thus far, Andrew, but now am thinking there is something else to be done with it. Cheers

[hr]

I hate the word random.
I hate my username.
I like paper.

No problem - I'll raise this with the library. 15 seconds does sound quite a considerable length of time for them to be off - and more than the "flick" that would be required to get people's attention.

I think the library staff do sometimes have trouble rounding people up to have the building cleared at midnight and the flicking of the lights is just to make sure everyone is aware it's time to start packing up. But I do agree - it should be a flick on and off, not leaving people sitting in the dark.

Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew Mackenzie

Re:

Postby schmod on Fri May 16, 2008 2:39 pm

In either respect, the current policy certainly isn't Kosher with H&S.

I'm not even sure why this is an SRC issue. Things like this should be reported directly to H&S, as this seems like one of the more 'legitimate' hazards that they've had to deal with.
schmod

Re:

Postby Spike on Fri May 16, 2008 5:56 pm

I guess it's about time we turn H&S back on the university for all of their tightening of regulations

[hr]

From Rock to Opera
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri May 16, 2008 6:14 pm

There's a hall which breaks its own H&S regulations.

The residence management set a capacity for the common room, but then exceed that capacity by demanding that everyone attend the hall meeting, during which they talk about H&S. Mental.

When this was pointed out to them, they stated that "this doesn't count, as it's a meeting that we have called, and everyone has to attend."

Sauce for the goose, anyone?

[hr]

[s]In July of this year I shall be walking 78 miles in 6 days in aid of the Joseph Salmon Trust, a charity founded by my friends in memorial to their son Joseph who died aged 3 in April of 2005. Please look at the link below for further details and consider sponsoring me. Thank you.
Donate: http://www.justgiving.com/thedaleswalk (please mention 'Oli' in the comments when donating)
http://www.thejosephsalmontrust.org.uk [/s]
Thackary

Re:

Postby Spike on Fri May 16, 2008 6:20 pm

who would have though that students would use H&S against the university...

Its almost poetic!

[hr]

From Rock to Opera
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Return to The Sinner's Main Board