Home

TheSinner.net

radio st. andrews

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

radio st. andrews

Postby that's a good point, but. on Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:55 pm

I noticed that one of james north's policies was to set up a radiosoc and a student radio station. he may not have got in but is this a good plan? I suppose that, like the saint and union politics, it would be good work experience, but would anybody tune in?
[i:36lgbmq8]"I am in no way interested in immortality, but only in the taste of tea. "[/i:36lgbmq8] -Lu Tung
that's a good point, but.

Re:

Postby Okocim on Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:57 pm

Two years ago I attended an Association AGM where the subject of student radio came up. At that point, if my memory serves me correctly, Conyers Davies, plus maybe Alex Walsh and James North put forward a proposal for a certain amount of Union money to be given to them so they could do some investigations into the viability of such a project.

As I recall, I think perhaps half the amount they wanted was granted on the spot, and it was promised that the other half would be available once a detailed business plan was submitted. I asked for a copy of that plan, but never recieved it. Does anyone know if I've got this story correct and/or what happened afterwards?
Okocim

Re:

Postby Ashley on Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:06 pm

It's a shame that no-one seems to have any more to say on such a project. Were James North's proposals really that empty? Has he now, after failing to get in, shelved his plans indefinitely? Has he even offered them to Derek? Questions, questions..

[hr]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day but they do when it mucks up their hair
[i:1zn3ute4]Nobody ever mentions the weather can make or break your day[/i:1zn3ute4]
Ashley

Radio

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:06 am

Indeed money was given but after initial excitement the project just seemed to drift off, and no furthur mention of it was made.

What happened to the money that was given out?

Radio Station

Postby Dana Green on Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:59 pm

At the AGM three years ago $30,000 pounds was passed, in principle, to fund a radio station and it was put into the ever-competent hands of the Vice President Communications, Simone Thompson, to regulate its expenditure. James North and others did originally propose the idea, but their plans needed a bit of work before the Union was going to just fork out that much!

As far as I was aware, Simone didn't take any action. James and others didn't either. The project languished. During the summer of my year as President I looked into the idea (seeing as the money was there.

For a while we had some very serious discussions with the Dundee Union about running a joint radio station broadcasting to both Unis. Without getting into the extremely boring details of Radio Authority Lisencing, it is impossible to run an FM radio station in Fife full-time. There are very bizarre restrictions on an AM station, too, which limit advertising and broadcast content to a specific area (in our case the North Haugh).

But it would be possible to run limited-lisence FM station. This is what James was proposing. A limited lisence (and I know, my spelling is atrocious without spell-check) would allow the Union to broadcast two months out of twelve. The costs of setting up an FM radio station are considerable for that short a broadcast time and I felt that the costs didn't outweigh the benefits. A radio station is a nice idea, but I think there are better ways to spend that much money that would be more useful to the student body.

So I didn't pursue the matter, either.

I would recommend contacting the Radio Authority if anyone is interested in pursuing this project yet again. Good luck!

Hope this answers your question -

Dana
Dana Green

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:02 pm

The closest it's ever going to get in the foreseeable future is internet radio.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby The_Farwall on Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:23 pm

St Andrews is a small town, couldn't we just shout?
[hr][s]"Y'know, there's only one way to make the pain stop.
Hurt someone else."
-Angelus[/s]
[s]Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.[/s]
The_Farwall

Re:

Postby RRankin on Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:26 pm

Yeah internet radio is fairly cheap and would reach a majority of the students quite easily. It's a start.

Wasn't there talk of relaxing the radio licensing laws recently?
RRankin

Re:

Postby LeopardSkinQueen on Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:29 pm

IIRC, there was an internet radio station for students here a couple of years ago, which didn't last.

The problem with that is that it is only really feasible to use if you are in hall with resnet. Otherwise, it isn't that practical to use for long periods of time.

[hr]NUTT: You'd be surprised how many women find my size intriguingly alluring.

MULDER: And you'd be surprised how many men do as well.

X-Files, "Humbug"
[i:1wp3kko0]Now at midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew
Come out and round up everyone that knows more than they do
[/i:1wp3kko0]
LeopardSkinQueen

Re:

Postby Warlike Lover on Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:17 pm

Could someone please explain to those who don't know what "IIRC" means?
Warlike Lover

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:25 pm

IIRC = If I recall correctly.
AFAIK = As far as I know.
STFU = shut the fuck up.
RTFM = read the fucking manual
ATM = at the moment
GTG = got to go/ good to go
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby stan on Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:09 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 13:25, 28th Mar 2003:
RTFM = read the fucking manual

sounds like a good name for the radio?

[hr]
its a good job your mamma died giving birth. if she'd seen yer, she'd a died of shame.
stan

Re:

Postby Warlike Lover on Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:32 pm

Thanks Prophet Tenebrae.

And yes Stan - RTFM would be a good name for it
Warlike Lover

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:34 pm

[s]Unregisted User Dana Green wrote on 18:56, 27th Mar 2003:
At the AGM three years ago $30,000 pounds was passed,

which country was that in, whats a $ pound? no wonder it never happened, if they turned up to the radio license shop with a sack full of dollars...

[hr]
-I hate to be such a f*cking dumbass, but are we actually at war, I mean did we ever declare war?

-Declare war?! Who has time to declare war when there are so many bombs to drop!
flarewearer

Re:

Postby stan on Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:39 pm

[s]flarewearer wrote on 14:34, 28th Mar 2003:
[s]Unregisted User Dana Green wrote on 18:56, 27th Mar 2003:[i]
At the AGM three years ago $30,000 pounds was passed,

which country was that in, whats a $ pound?
[/i]

bless her shes american. she knows no better.

[hr]
its a good job your mamma died giving birth. if she'd seen yer, she'd a died of shame.
stan

another abbreviation

Postby Lady G on Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:08 pm

one that I find saves time and heartache during a chat:

ggp

:P
Lady G

Return to The Sinner's Main Board