Home

TheSinner.net

Sweeney Todd Cancelled!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Sweeney Todd Cancelled!

Postby Partizan on Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:35 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, your duly elected candidates at work...

Seems that the musical Sweeney Todd has been cancelled, thanks to the general incompetence of the show's producers. Those responsible are Ben Spiers (our future VP-S) and Xander Cansell (our current, verbose Societies Officer). Apparently they made a miserable attempt at finding funding, preparing advertising, etc. Everything just, quote "ground to a halt".

Another blow for St Andrews musical theatre, folks. Our condolences to Ben Murray and the cast.

The question I have is: if Ben Spiers cannot run a muscial successfully, then what business does he have in a sabbatical post? Flame on.
Partizan

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:49 pm

Possibly, just possibly mind you, they will take the running of the Union - something used by the vast majority of students - much more important than the staging of a musical which will be of a concern to the minority of the student population. Can we really judge the ability of a person to do a good job in the Union on the lack of their ability to fund one musical?
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby stan on Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:52 pm

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 18:49, 26th Mar 2003:
Can we really judge the ability of a person to do a good job in the Union on the lack of their ability to fund [i]one
musical?
[/i]

yes. if they cant do the little things right then i aint holding much hope that they can do the big things right.

[hr]
its a good job your mamma died giving birth. if she'd seen yer, she'd a died of shame.
stan

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:59 pm

Who cares about stupid musicals - fix the airhockey table.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:01 pm

If a soldier can't tie his shoe lace does that mean that he can't fire a gun with outstanding accuracy? If someone can't do a little thing like write a note for a friend without rambling would that mean that they were incapable of writing a novel?
Can we judge someone on a single incident? How many successful musicals/theatrical productions have the two successfully organised that us ignorant plebs who aren't interested in theatre are unaware of? Is producing a musical the same as helping to run the students Union? Can the musical delights of Sweeney Todd be compared to the cheese-fest of the weekly bop?
Maybe, just maybe, the two were busy with their election campaigns. Maybe not an excuse, but still understandble considering the circumstances, no?
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby stan on Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:02 pm

[s]Prophet Tenebrae wrote on 18:59, 26th Mar 2003:
fix the airhockey table.

thats a little thing also, an endemic curse of apathy will ensure we play on a substadard air hocky table until they randomly stick it in that metal shed with the fussball table.

[hr]
its a good job your mamma died giving birth. if she'd seen yer, she'd a died of shame.
stan

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:03 pm

Listen to the Prophet - who cares about musicals, air hockey and Panic Park provide greater enjoyment to the majority of the students. Possibly they were in negotiations behind the scenes about providing us with an air hockey table and side-lined the less important musical.
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby stan on Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:06 pm

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 19:03, 26th Mar 2003:
Listen to the Prophet -
beware false prophets! matthew 7.15

who cares about musicals,musicians, performers, theatre goers and the person who started this thread.

air hockey and Panic Park provide greater enjoyment to the majority of the students.
granted these are enjoyable but the majotiry of students? im willing to bet that the majority of students dont play such amusing money wasters as much as ten and i.

[hr]
stan

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:17 pm

You expect me to listen to the Bible!? It has several uses: emergency toilet paper, fuel for fires, door wedge. But I'm not about to read the crap or follow its teachings.

I'm sure more students enjoy the entertainments of the Union Games Room than watch student productions of musicals.
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:54 pm

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 19:17, 26th Mar 2003:
I'm sure more students enjoy the entertainments of the Union Games Room than watch student productions of musicals.

here here! why should there be a theatre rep sitting on the SSC (or whichever one of the thousdands of sub-commitees of committees which the union seems to consist of)... why should theatre instantly be awarded big pots of cash just because everyone is automatically a member of their society... why can't they actually spend the money on things that the majority of the student body would be interested in (i.e improvements to the union, cheaper prices in bess etc. etc.) rather than pandering to the interests of minorities. the society i am on the committee of has organised big events (probably costing more than a theatre event) and yet we get No funding and have to raise all our own money and have very little, almost NO voice i the union a bit like that ludicrous idea of taking opera to council estates...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby Cain on Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:59 pm

I think that the point of the original post was: Ben's job was to put on a musical. He failed to do that.

Regardless of whether it's a big job or a small job, it's still the job that he was elected to do.

Now he is going to be in charge of another elected post.
I hold an element of surprise
Cain

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:00 pm

Yeah, Panic Park has been broken for a fucking month - my totally empty threat of violence is this: how about the person responsible for getting it fixed gets stabbed and then doesn't get to seek medical attention for a month?

Let's see how they like it and when it gets fixed - it might be a good idea to anchor it to the ground with titanium.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:01 pm

yeah i suppose i got a little bit off the point. as little as i care about musicals, the guy who's going to be in charge of what amounts to organising a piss up in a brewery next year (i.e. a piss up in the union) should be able to do something like a musical...
flarewearer

Re:

Postby RRankin on Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:18 pm

[s]S.P.I.G wrote on 18:49, 26th Mar 2003:
Possibly, just [i]possibly
mind you, they will take the running of the Union - something used by the vast majority of students - much more important than the staging of a musical which will be of a concern to the minority of the student population. Can we really judge the ability of a person to do a good job in the Union on the lack of their ability to fund one musical?[/i]

If they can't cope with something as small as a musical, then why should we trust them to have the ability to cope with something as big as the union?
RRankin

Re:

Postby David Bean on Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:56 pm

This is all nonsense. Irrespective of whether it reflects poorly upon their ability to do any job (which is irrelevant in Xander's case anyway since he lost the election), the fact remains that a musical had to be cancelled that a not inconsiderable number of people had been putting a great deal of work into. This is a disgrace. One of my best friends had a part in the musical, and she, like myself, is extremely indignant about it. And by the way, anyone who has the gall to dismiss the issue as 'unimportant', and the hard work of all of these people that has gone to waste as 'irrelevant', should (joking or not) be ashamed of themselves.
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby S.P.I.G on Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:10 pm

I don't think the hard work the people involved put into this project should be described as 'irrelevant' - it's a shame, if these people have worked so hard towards this and now they've discovered it's all for naught then it's terrible. But although I sympathise with the cast/crew etc. who have worked hard, I still view the cancellation of the project as a whole unimportant because in my opinion it only affects a minority (a small minority at that) of students - and I'm not ashamed of myself for holding this opinion. I doubt I ever will be ashamed of myself for holding an opinion on something which I believe to be the correct one, no matter how many people tell me otherwise.
S.P.I.G

Re:

Postby Prophet Tenebrae on Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:13 pm

I'm with SPIG on this, although it's unfortunate that people who have toiled away on the project it has come to naught, there are bigger issues - such as airhockey and panic park.
Prophet Tenebrae

Re:

Postby flarewearer on Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:04 am

i'm sorry, but my experience of the mermaids bunch is that they are in it for themselves and no one else. call me controvertial, but i'd sooner listen to some music. i'm just sorry that alasdair maloney didnt win, and then we might have had some RELEVANT entertainment in this town

[hr]-I hate to be such a f*cking dumbass, but are we actually at war, I mean did we ever declare war?

-Declare war?! Who has time to declare war when there are so many bombs to drop!
flarewearer

relevence

Postby Guest on Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:13 am

my understanding is the musical was cancelled because the cast was failing to gel, and nothing to do with financial and organisational problems

by the way maintenance of the games machines is the responsibility of ke automatics, who they are hired on, and as the only games machine hire company on the east coast tend to not worry to much about the st andrews union

Re:

Postby Anon. on Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:13 am

All the people who frequent the Union seem to think that absolutely every student in the University does likewise. I personally hate the place, and have only played air hockey once in my whole time here. The health and well-being of the air hockey table is of less than no importance to me. Frankly, I couldn't give a flying fuck about the air hockey table. I'm not terribly fussed about Sweeny Todd either, but I just thought I'd make the point that the Union is not of paramount importance in the minds of every student here.

Goodness, that almost got a bit rant-like there. Not bad going, what?
Anon.

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board