Home

TheSinner.net

SNP banning of offsales booze for under 21's farce

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:47 am

Quoting Gubbins from 22:37, 20th Jun 2008
It's the Sinner, what do you expect?
Do we have an official catchphrase, other than the stick thing?

The above has been trotted out so many times it's bound to be in the running for most used catchphrase.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby x on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:05 pm

And why isn't the "if you appear under 21 you must prove you are 18" enough?
x

Re:

Postby Midget on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:45 pm

No, no, they've gone one better in Scotland, you now have to be 21, but look 90 otherwise you must show photographic ID to prove you're not a 12-year-old on a binge. Makes sense.

And Scottish politicians have always set such a good example in alcohol consumption so they must be right.
Midget

Re:

Postby Midget on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:47 pm

The italics are irrelevant.
Midget

Re:

Postby David Bean on Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:41 am

Well, I'll endorse Thackary's and Mr Mackenzie's responses as far as your post is concerned, Jez, but in addition I'd like to suggest that you check the difference between rights and liberties. Of course drinking alcohol is not a right - it can't be, because I could never legitimately demand that someone give me some alcohol to drink, which I'd have to be able to if it were - and neither are most of the things we do on a daily basis, and I haven't suggested otherwise. No, what it is is a liberty, and as with all liberties the government needs a damn sight better an argument than this half-cocked apology for reasoning to take it away.

[hr]

Psalm 91:7
Psalm 91:7
David Bean

Re:

Postby Meow on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Neither me (nor my pet cat, with whom I am snuggling) give a damn about any of this.
Meow

Re:

Postby Grant on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:22 pm

This just kinda seems like its dancing around the issues created by excessive drinking anyway. I dont really care about being ID'd - it's a slight hassle when its obvious I am over-age, but then again, it takes only a few seconds to produce ID.

In my opinion, (and only my opinion before I get flamed to all hell) we should simply penalise the people that create the hassle in the first place with binge drinking etc.

If the perpetrators had to pay any damage and NHS costs in incidents involving drinking/intoxication, I think it might reduce the amount of hassle and drain that drinking causes. The best part is that it *should* only penalise those people that go out, get drunk and vandalise and start fights etc. I include their own treatment in this, and payments/treatment to anyone else involved or injured.

If the same people had to pay for the ambulances, police presence and any damages, I am sure binge drinking would eventually reduce in fashion.

Thats just IMO.
Grant

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board