Home

TheSinner.net

Tutoring

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Tutoring

Postby n01 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:12 pm

So next year (after graduating) I'm not wanting to get a real job yet, but I realize I'm going to need some sort of income.

Perhaps it depends on where I end up living, but I think a good part time job would be to tutor A-level students. I studied Physics so from what I hear that topic is generally in need of tutors.

Problem is I didn't take A-levels myself, and I also haven't a clue as to how I'd go about advertising myself.

Would schools be offended if I went to them and said "I'd like to tutor Physics A-levels, can you direct your students to me?"... or are there other ways to go about it? I have looked online, but everything I've found seems to be about joining a company... not really my idea of a year off.
n01

Re:

Postby JM on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:05 am

I imagine schools would be quite happy. If pupils are working outside of school to improve their grades it will improve the results and look good on the school, as well as to lessen the workload on the teacher by that individual pupil, who may have otherwise struggled and demanded more of the teachers time.

i'd say go for it, but i don't work in a school...maybe someone else who posts here will have some insight on how it'd be taken?

[hr]

"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
"Life can be full of many problems"; this can be translated into "tormenting you is how the big man gets his jollies"
JM

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:12 am

I find it very unlikely that a school would endorse an individual as a tutor without an enhanced disclosure check. You could advertise in newspapers or something though.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby eagle on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:12 am

I'd definitely go for a disclosure check.

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/
eagle

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 am

Yes, and ideally, to stay on the right side of the law, you'd need to register yourself as self employed also. This costs a bit of money so you'd need to be sure you were actually going to make some in the time you tutored.

[hr]

“ When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading”
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 pm

You can't get yourself a disclosure check - it has to go through an organisation like the local authority.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:26 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 09:22, 19th Jun 2008
Yes, and ideally, to stay on the right side of the law, you'd need to register yourself as self employed also. This costs a bit of money so you'd need to be sure you were actually going to make some in the time you tutored.

[hr]

Were you bumraped by the law as a child or something? Stop going on about it.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:30 pm

lol - you're ace rob.

[hr]

I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:04 pm

Quoting Thalia from 14:21, 19th Jun 2008
You can't get yourself a disclosure check - it has to go through an organisation like the local authority.

No, it doesn't. You can request basic disclosure to provide to employers etc.

Standard and enhanced disclosure may have to go through a different process.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:31 pm

I'm talking about an enhanced disclosure which is what you'd want for working with children. With standard and enhanced you do need to go through an organisation.

[hr]

--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:05 pm

This probably should be in the advice section?

I suggest you are being a bit unrealistic. A level tutoring will require some knowledge of the syllabus which you cannot acquire overnight. Additionally you are unlikely to build up a base of clients without a reputation. Most A level courses are 2 years so looking at it as a part time position for a year out will count against you and it might also be seen to indicate you do not have the level of commitment required. Remember A levels are the most important exams that many people take, they want a committed tutor and I think one with a knowledge of the A level syllabus too.

I would consider doing temping work if I were you rather than tutoring A level students. £10 an hour is quite achievable temping in the public sector.

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:05 pm

I just started tutoring "pooping". The universities were good about me advertising through them to potential constipators. I teach a course on "chest-pooping", "fisting-relief", and "does-your-head-fit?", all of which are doing quite well.

Disclosure check, schiddlyosure czech. Just go ahead without it. You will not regret it. 45% percent satisfaction guaranteed.

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:53 pm

Basic disclosure is insufficient to work with children. An enhanced disclosure check will be required. Enhanced disclosure must be counter-signed by an approved person or body who will themselves have undergone a more stringent check. If you wish to register as a childminder, tutor, team coach, etc, there will be someone in your local council who will be the counter-signatory for such situations, finding out who that is might prove more challenging.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:34 pm

I'm looking into doing the same thing, but for maths. Luckily, my mum is a childminder so I've got an enhanced disclosure. There are agencies that you might want to look into. I'm sure not having done alevel yourself will be fine, surely you can get course books and so on?

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby starsandsparkles on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Quoting from 00:02, 19th Jun 2008
This probably should be in the advice section?

I suggest you are being a bit unrealistic. A level tutoring will require some knowledge of the syllabus which you cannot acquire overnight. Additionally you are unlikely to build up a base of clients without a reputation. Most A level courses are 2 years so looking at it as a part time position for a year out will count against you and it might also be seen to indicate you do not have the level of commitment required. Remember A levels are the most important exams that many people take, they want a committed tutor and I think one with a knowledge of the A level syllabus too.

I would consider doing temping work if I were you rather than tutoring A level students. £10 an hour is quite achievable temping in the public sector.

You can find the syllabuses (is that the plural of syllabus?) on the internet and a revision guide will give you more precise details of what needs to be known.
starsandsparkles

Re:

Postby KayBee on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:26 pm

Quoting WashingtonIrving from 19:34, 21st Jun 2008
I'm looking into doing the same thing, but for maths. Luckily, my mum is a childminder so I've got an enhanced disclosure. There are agencies that you might want to look into. I'm sure not having done alevel yourself will be fine, surely you can get course books and so on?

[hr]

You'll still need to get another disclosure done to tutor.

I'm a chldminder, a play leader, an auxilliary at a nursery and a sunday school teacher and I have an enhanced disclosure for each of those. One disclosure does not cover you for everything.
KayBee

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:17 pm

This is because a disclosure is good only on the day it's produced, every time you change job for one which requires enhanced disclosure a new one will be required.
exnihilo

Return to The Sinner's Main Board