Home

TheSinner.net

Psychology Experiment

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Psychology Experiment

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:58 am

Unless your experiment is to annoy the fuck out of me stop posting on the main board of the sinner with your pish. There's a reason I keep deleting your threads, and its because you should post this on the Trading Stuff board.

Main/trading

The main board is for discussion, not advertising. You could also take out an advert by e-mailing admin@thesinner.net. This, for £10 a week, will give you a banner ad at the top of the page.

If you post once more with the same crap on the main board I'll ask for your account to be suspended.

[hr]

"The entirety of these definitions lie outside the gamut of the sRGB color space — such a pure color cannot be represented using RGB primaries. The color swatch to the right is a desaturated approximation, created by taking the centroid of the standard definition and moving it towards the D65 white point, until it meets the sRGB gamut triangle."
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Jono on Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:47 pm

How does an academic experiment constitute "trade"?

[hr] I disagree with you in principle.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Re:

Postby James.C. on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:01 pm

money for tests?
James.C.

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:03 pm

Go one better and post your psychology experiments on the Psychology board, psychologists:

http://www.thesinner.net/mb/Academic/psych

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby bongo on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:46 pm

I think you're being harsh.

Quoting munchingfoo from 10:58, 24th Jun 2008
Unless your experiment is to annoy the fuck out of me stop posting on the main board of the sinner with your pish. There's a reason I keep deleting your threads, and its because you should post this on the Trading Stuff board.

Main/trading

The main board is for discussion, not advertising. You could also take out an advert by e-mailing admin@thesinner.net. This, for £10 a week, will give you a banner ad at the top of the page.

If you post once more with the same crap on the main board I'll ask for your account to be suspended.
bongo

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:48 am

That is pretty harsh. They need as many volunteers as they can get, and this board has the the most traffic. After all, the more people they get, the more successful they are. The more successful they are, the more renown the university gets, and hence more students, and ultimately, more traffic!

... Yes, I know that is tenuous logic but give me a break here. :P

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby KayBee on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:01 pm

That is very harsh.

Getting volunteers for a psychology experiment is incredibly difficult and it hardly constitutes trade.

The thread was just sitting, dormant on the board until your little edit... not bothering anyone, I fail to see the reasoning for such a severe response.
KayBee

Re:

Postby d_24 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:50 pm

"very harsh"? "severe response"?

Over-reaction much?

[hr]

Before Bauer...There Was House
Before Bauer...There Was House
d_24

Re:

Postby KayBee on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:52 pm

Meh perhaps.

I just remember the pain of trying to recruit participants for my studies.
KayBee

Re:

Postby Duggeh on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:45 pm

The wording of his reaction is harsh, but the action of it is not, and the wording is being utilised in order to communicate a point to the parties involved which they seem to be unable to understand without the use of vehemant language. Odd that postgraduate psychology students seem to have such difficulty understanding simple rules. Maybe it is a stealth experiment.

Now what would be fine, would be if I were to start a thread saying "who else is taking part in those psychology experiments?" In which case there would be a discussion ultimately resulting in people who have not already taken part being unable to do so because of having the nature of the experiments revealed to them in advance and thus ruining the process.

[hr]

IMAGE:www.thismanwillkillyou.com/avatars/tb3-100.jpg
Duggeh: Master Of Ceremonies
Duggeh

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:32 pm

Quoting Mehmsy from 09:48, 25th Jun 2008
That is pretty harsh. They need as many volunteers as they can get, and this board has the the most traffic.

There are different boards for a reason - I could equally say when I'm trying to sell something, or look for advice, or find something on the internet that I would post it here as it has the most traffic and I want more people to see it.

This board has the most traffic because everyone wants to avoid all the other shite.
papercutheart

Re:

Postby Gubbins on Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:46 pm

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want.

So if you want to discuss psychology experiments, why not? Ok, so it's usually annoying to see yet another psychology experiment coming up, but to be honest there'd be little point putting on the Psychology noticeboard as that is largely only read by psychologists, when the target audience includes everyone. Putting it on the Trading board is rather a misnomer.

Perhaps the Sinner (collectively) should see it less as a grievance and more as a flaw in the system that can be fixed. It is, after all, in our users' interests to have these things promoted (both from the psychologists and potential subjects' points of view) - perhaps there should be a place where they can do so. Suggestions, anyone?

[hr]

...then again, that is only my opinion.
...then again, that is only my opinion.
Gubbins

Re:

Postby Thalia on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:45 am

The university already has the SONA system set up so that students can log in and sign up for current experiments: http://st-andrews.sona-systems.com.

Really, it's SONA that should be advertised and promoted, rather than any individual experiment. But that's something the university should be doing and we all know how good this place is at providing information to its students :-P

At the risk of annoying munchingfoo by promoting psychology research - SONA could really do with more people signing up and using it. It's a much easier way to gather participants than the usual method of sign up sheets or coming into classes and if its existence were to become better known it could really help to increase the number of people finding out about and getting involved in new research projects.

[hr]

You've been nothing but an angel every day of your life and now you wonder what it's like to be damned...
"This is my story. It'll go the way I want, or I'll end it here"
--Final Fantasy X
Thalia

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:17 pm

There is a difference between discussion and notification than advertising for cash services offered or wanted.

I have let two of those psychology experiment X amount per hour things sit on this board since around January. In that time I have deleted around 50. There was one time about a month ago when they posted the exact same message on every board on the site. You don't see the extent of it because I clean it up.

Tell me I am out of order when someone reposts the same message over and over again. I have given no warnings, I have given polite warnings, and now I have given a "harsh" warning.

You're right though, the next time my warning won't be harsh, only my action.

[hr]

"The entirety of these definitions lie outside the gamut of the sRGB color space — such a pure color cannot be represented using RGB primaries. The color swatch to the right is a desaturated approximation, created by taking the centroid of the standard definition and moving it towards the D65 white point, until it meets the sRGB gamut triangle."
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:56 am

Quoting Gubbins from 00:46, 26th Jun 2008
This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want.

Equally one could highlight:

I have no problem with someone writing a brief introduction on their studies (opening a discussion) and in the process giving an e-mail address to ask for volunteers. What I do dislike is when someone spams a cut and pasted message over and over again.

[hr]

munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 10:58, 24th Jun 2008

Main/trading

[hr]

More shit moderation from your unfriendly neighbourhood dickhole.

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Shit moderation?!

Orly?

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/lord_orc/orly-1.gif[/img]

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Quoting munchingfoo from 18:17, 26th Jun 2008
There is a difference between discussion and notification than advertising for cash services offered or wanted.

I have let two of those psychology experiment X amount per hour things sit on this board since around January. In that time I have deleted around 50.

Tell me I am out of order when someone reposts the same message over and over again. I have given no warnings, I have given polite warnings, and now I have given a "harsh" warning.

You're right though, the next time my warning won't be harsh, only my action.

[hr]

stuck up wanker, power tripping on this you pathetic waste

Re:

Postby Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:20 pm

jesus christ this mod is gay

Jesus, mod!

Postby Frank on Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:00 pm

This Christ is gay!

[hr]

"There is only ever one truth. Things are always black or white, there's no such thing as a shade of grey. If you think that something is a shade of grey it simply means that you don't fully understand the situation. The truth is narrow and the path of the pursuit of truth is similarly narrow."
Also, some years later:
"here we are arguing about a few uppity troublemakers with a bee in their bonnet and a conspiracy theory."
Frank

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board