Home

TheSinner.net

Acceptance into Honors (results have come in)

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Acceptance into Honors (results have come in)

Postby fun times on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:18 pm

People are being accepted into honors this time of year. How’s it going? Know any one that didn’t make it? Do they send you a letter saying you weren’t accepted? Did you have to choose your back up subject?
fun times

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:17 pm

God only knows where this is happening.

Now, getting into Honours is another thing...

[hr]

So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

Gealle

Re:

Postby Tiger Lilly on Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:38 pm

Your department will send you a letter or an e-mail offering you a place on the honours course and you've got to accept within a number of days.

I can't remember what time of the summer the offers are given out.

Not sure what happens if you don't make it. My friend didn't get into honours last year and it was a big mess as she didn't have enough to get into her other subject either so basically ended up doing a general degree and got messed around by the departments.
Tiger Lilly

Re:

Postby ONeill on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:35 pm

If you don't make it then you get a letter saying just that.

I didn't qualify but it was hardly the end of the world. First thing I did was to not pick any modules for the upcoming semester until I had seen my adviser.

Knowing that they wouldn't change their mind right away I tried a different approach. I pitched the idea to him that I just take 4 3000 level modules in the upcoming semester anyway as I'd eventually require them if I was aiming to get a general degree. If I didn't do well, then there wouldn't be much harm done at the end of the day and I'd still have time to get the credits for a general degree. On the other hand if by the end of January I could show him that I was as good as I believed I was then he'd get me back on the honours course.

For some reason he agreed with me that it wasn't a bad idea and let me have a go. Thankfully I managed to turn out the right results and as agreed he set me back on the path.
ONeill

Re:

Postby starsandsparkles on Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:16 pm

I've already had my honours offer and accepted. The deadline was last week sometime I think.

Will we get confirmation that we have been accepted, does anyone know?
starsandsparkles

Re:

Postby orudge on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Hmm, last year, I received notification that I'd been accepted into Honours, but didn't have to specifically confirm it. You may or may not receive some sort of confirmation - if you've accepted the offer, then it's probably safe to assume that everything is fine.

[hr]

http://www.owenrudge.net/
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37103734
orudge
Administrator

Re:

Postby ppdgr8 on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:31 pm

I don't know about not accepted but they will send you a letter or an e-mail from your department to let you know that you are being offered a place on the honours program.

Can't remember what time of year I got mine before though.
ppdgr8

Re:

Postby Garnet on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:46 pm

I guess it depends on the department. I got a letter from psychology telling me i was accepted but didn't get anything from IR.

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Steveo on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:33 pm

I never recieved any letter or emal. I just got decent results and turned up in September. Now I have a degree, so it must have been alright.

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby GuyIncognito on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:07 pm

Slightly panicked now - I haven't heard anything either way. Is this a disastrous sign that I haven't got in?
GuyIncognito

Re:

Postby Garnet on Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:06 pm

no and you would know that if you'd read the previous posts. In most subjects if you get 11 or over you're in, with or without a letter

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Steveo on Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:25 pm

Quoting guyincognito from 19:07, 3rd Jul 2008
Slightly panicked now - I haven't heard anything either way. Is this a disastrous sign that I haven't got in?

If you're that worried, why not e-mail the honours advisor for your department? Christ, can people not sort these things out themselves?

[hr]

Get off my internet.
Get off my internet.
Steveo

Re:

Postby Gealle on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:52 pm

Don't be silly, mate. Next thing you'll be suggesting university students come up with original ideas nowadays...

Quoting Steveo from 21:25, 3rd Jul 2008
Quoting guyincognito from 19:07, 3rd Jul 2008

If you're that worried, why not e-mail the honours advisor for your department? Christ, can people not sort these things out themselves?

[hr]

Get off my internet.

[hr]

Gealle

Re:

Postby careba2010 on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:53 am

Hi

I was 0.3 short of an eleven in IR this term due in part to the fact that both my parents were seriously ill in the immediate run up to my exams and I was already having a rough time with relationships at Uni and actually was quite depressed . So what I did was I emailed the school and they already knew about my problems (Thanks to sss!) and because my semester 1 mark was so high it was evident that something had gone wrong so they let me in. But I tell you it was the most nervous 48 hours of my life waiting for my adviser to get back to me.

So if your really not sure email your adviser would be your best bit. I would just like to add here that ALL the schools I have dealt with this last year have been amazingly supportive when I had my rough patch ; especially IR and Econ
careba2010

Re:

Postby flantastic on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:24 pm

I was 1 mark and 2 marks off the 11s in my joint degree subjects so now have to finish with a general degree. To make it even worse, as I'm a language student I'm scheduled to be doing a year abroad next year which thankfully after much pleading and begging, they're still allowing me to do. It was a very close call though. I was extremely shocked to learn that I'd missed the grades as it's not like I didn't work all year and wasn't getting decent marks on essays and tests etc. I know a lot of other people who worked less than me and still somehow managed to scrape through. Nothing can be changed now though. C'est la vie I guess.
flantastic

Re:

Postby old hand on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:37 pm

As you will have been told, that you need two grades of 11 in your two 2000 level modules, and will have done pre-advising, very few schools inform you of acceptance into honours. It is assumed that you can count to 11. If you make teh great you will be welcomed in, if you don't you will not be admited at Honours advising in in September. All Schools do their own Advising in presessional week. If you don't attend on time and confirm your return to study and your choices, your module preferences may get dumped and re-allocated to someone who has teh manners to turn up on time.
old hand

Re:

Postby Haunted on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:51 pm

I got into to honours with two 9's so it's not always open and shut if you didn't get 11.

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Return to The Sinner's Main Board