Home

TheSinner.net

The Dark Knight

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

The Dark Knight

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:30 pm

Wow. Just so very good. As a big Batman fan I can't yet decide whether I liked this or Batman Begins more. Heath Ledger really made this movie. Thoughts?

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby treehugger on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:23 pm

This movie was awesome, I just thought that the introduction of a second villian weakened it. The joker was villan enough.
treehugger

Re:

Postby Paul Carey on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:36 pm

Very good. Maggie Gyllenhaal got on my nerves though. That's my only gripe.

[hr]

Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Re:

Postby The Jaspar on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:36 am

Quoting Paul Carey from 00:36, 25th Jul 2008
Very good. Maggie Gyllenhaal got on my nerves though. That's my only gripe.

[hr]

Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews

Agreed, and after seeing her on the Daily Show the night before I saw the movie, it really annoyed me how little she seemed to know about Batman. Not that I know anything, but she was in a Batman movie for Christ's sake!

But it was a great film. A bit long though for my tastes. Maybe it was 10:15pm start time that made it hard to focus the whole way through. Or maybe I just have ADD
The Jaspar

Re:

Postby Batman on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:49 am

I saw it today and thought that even though (in my opinion) it is not as good as Batman Begins, though it is always the break through film that defines a series and is the one everyone associates with as the benchmark - remember the Matrix Trilogy - it is still a good film. One that I will want to watch again and again. The visual effects were stunning and the realism of the story line made the film more enjoyable and there is a certain something that is making me want to watch it again.

Being a big fan of The Batman mythos the film was good and built upon the characters and story lines from Batman Begins quite well (Obviously disregarding the character of Rachael Dawes who with out we wouldn't have seen Batman do that voodoo that he does so well). I do think though that there was something missing from the film but I cannot quite put my finger on it. But I think it is related to the screen times of the joker and batman/bruce wayne

It maybe sad to say this but I think every one is going to remember it as Heath Ledgers last film and that is going to over shadow everything else that is good with the film or assoicated with it. I do feel that his death has effected the post production editing (it was done around the time of his death) and maybe unintentionaly enhanced his screen presence. But with out a doubt his interpretation of the Joker was spot on and in my mind close to perfection, just the right mix of insanity and genis.

We also need remember the performance from supporting actors Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart who were crucial to the dynamic of the film.

[hr]

Have you ever danced with the Devil in the Pale Moonlight!
Batman

Re:

Postby Batman on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:39 am

Taken from http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2008/07/21/080721crci_cinema_denby, these quotes sort of some up the film for me.

Christian Bale, who plays Bruce Wayne (and Batman), spent months training under the masters of the ferocious and delicate K.F.M. Unfortunately, I can’t tell you a thing about it, because the combat is photographed close up, in semidarkness, and cut at the speed of a fifteen-second commercial. Instead of enjoying the formalized beauty of a fighting discipline, we see a lot of flailing movement and bodies hitting the floor like grain sacks.

but he’s a placid Bruce Wayne, a swank gent in Armani suits, with every hair in place. He’s more urgent as Batman, but he delivers all his lines in a hoarse voice, with an unvarying inflection. It’s a dogged but uninteresting performance, upstaged by the great Ledger

Yet I can’t rate “The Dark Knight” as an outstanding piece of craftsmanship. “Batman Begins” was grim and methodical, and this movie is grim and jammed together. The narrative isn’t shaped coherently to bring out contrasts and build toward a satisfying climax.

[hr]

Batman

Oy...I disagree

Postby Lukey2 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:33 am

I have been arguing with people about "The Dark Knight" all week. Before heaps of shit are slung at me, let me first admit how much I enjoyed Ledger (though I am starting to think that the studio had him killed as a publicity stunt). That said, I thought that the narrative was pieced together very poorly. After the first natural ending, there was another 45 minutes of movie that felt completely un-necessary. Apologies for the spoiler, but most of what happened after the Joker's first capture could have been saved for another sequel. I know that legions of virgin fanboys will shit themselves when they read this, but a lot of the dialogue was pretty questionable. Ledger might have been good, but he did not redeem Batman, Twoface, or Gordon, all of whom had their share of contrived pseudo-philosophical monologues. Another thing: the Chinese gangster capitalist from the beginning bothered my sense of political correctness. This is a pretensious point that only a film student would make, but it really annoys me when American films stereotype Chinese businessmen as complete crooks. It was especially troublesome in "Dark Knight" because the "criminal" Chinese capitalist was contrasted against the ethical paragon of Wayne Enterprises. The idea that American capitalism is morally superior to Chinese capitalism is a piece of hypocrisy that appears constantly in American films and TV, as if only the heartless mega-corporations based in the USA can be the good guys.

Oy vey, I could go on, but my fingers are getting tired...
Lukey2

Re:

Postby the Empress on Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:00 am

I thought it was great, maybe a bit long. I actually thought Christian Bale was pretty amazing in it, he's weirdly watchable. Also liked Maggie Gyllenhaal, who seemed to do pretty good with an essentially rubbish character in Rachel Dawes. A much less nauseating and irritating performance than Katie Holmes anyway . . .

I don't see this film as Chinese vs American capitalism. I mean, Gotham it shown as pretty grim and crooked itself.
the Empress

spoilers

Postby Haunted on Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:02 am

I also thought the narrative drifted around a bit and for about 30 minutes it didn't seem to know what to do. There was also a bit too many moral dilemmas in the movie. Two face felt like he should've killed more people to earn his title of villian. Or at least survived to scheme another day

But just how did the Joker manage to get a hold of all those explosives and plant them in the engine rooms of two ferry's and in the walls of the hospital? Without getting caught? And this from a man plan who claims not to have any plans or directions? And if he doesn't care for money what the hell were his goons working for?

Good ending. Thought there was going to be a little Catwoman gag when Fox told him his new suit should protect him from cats. It's a shame that character has been forever ruined. Bad guys for next one?

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Batman on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:32 am

Quoting Lukey2 from 06:33, 25th Jul 2008Another thing: the Chinese gangster capitalist from the beginning bothered my sense of political correctness. This is a pretensious point that only a film student would make, but it really annoys me when American films stereotype Chinese businessmen as complete crooks. It was especially troublesome in "Dark Knight" because the "criminal" Chinese capitalist was contrasted against the ethical paragon of Wayne Enterprises. The idea that American capitalism is morally superior to Chinese capitalism is a piece of hypocrisy that appears constantly in American films and TV, as if only the heartless mega-corporations based in the USA can be the good guys.

Yeah as Film Student you obviously read to much into what is not there in the film. The point with the asian Buisness man was that he was just a crooked buisness man who was based in Hong Kong (possibly a member of one of the triads). The fact he was asian was just so they can do the scene in Hong Kong and the fact that there is only one crooked asian in the film doesn't do your aguement any justice. The only reason Wayne Enterprises did not do any dealings with them is that the asians buisness profiteered off criminal investments and I think the reason they didn't complete the deal was a mixture of ethical responsibility to not deal with crooks and more likly protecting them from investigation from the police.

[hr]

Batman

Re:

Postby Haunted on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:53 am

Just listened to Kevin Smith's review of the film. Did anyone else notice that the guy who tried to blackmail Fox was called Mister Reece? Mysteries? Riddler?

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted

Re:

Postby Raindog on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:51 pm

Quoting treehugger from 00:23, 25th Jul 2008
This movie was awesome, I just thought that the introduction of a second villian weakened it. The joker was villan enough.

Cheers for that ..............ya dick
Raindog

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:20 am

Quoting Lukey2 from 06:33, 25th Jul 2008
I have been arguing with people about "The Dark Knight" all week. Before heaps of shit are slung at me, let me first admit how much I enjoyed Ledger (though I am starting to think that the studio had him killed as a publicity stunt). That said, I thought that the narrative was pieced together very poorly. After the first natural ending, there was another 45 minutes of movie that felt completely un-necessary. Apologies for the spoiler, but most of what happened after the Joker's first capture could have been saved for another sequel. I know that legions of virgin fanboys will shit themselves when they read this, but a lot of the dialogue was pretty questionable. Ledger might have been good, but he did not redeem Batman, Twoface, or Gordon, all of whom had their share of contrived pseudo-philosophical monologues. Another thing: the Chinese gangster capitalist from the beginning bothered my sense of political correctness. This is a pretensious point that only a film student would make, but it really annoys me when American films stereotype Chinese businessmen as complete crooks. It was especially troublesome in "Dark Knight" because the "criminal" Chinese capitalist was contrasted against the ethical paragon of Wayne Enterprises. The idea that American capitalism is morally superior to Chinese capitalism is a piece of hypocrisy that appears constantly in American films and TV, as if only the heartless mega-corporations based in the USA can be the good guys.

Oy vey, I could go on, but my fingers are getting tired...

Oh hey it's a good job you're not reading too much into the film oh no wai

--

Anyway! Absolutely spectacular film. Loved every single second of it, and all its aspects, from the script to the casting to the music. Simply phenomenal; and not one second too long. I don't even consider myself a Batman fan (first Batman film I've seen) and I loved it.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:41 am

In response to those that think Two Face didn't kill enough people to be a proper villian: that is the point of Two Face. He is sometimes evil and sometimes good. The character is not supposed to be FULLY evil.

And I will now have to google this, but I swear Rachel Dawes becomes one of the Joker's cronies-- I thought one of the DAs did.

As for villians who are left: was there ever a proper Ivy in a film?

And I'm all up for a discussion on who has been the best Batman just like some have passionate throws over who is the best Bond. Personally, I feel Michael Keaton, despite the fact that many Hollywood types forget about him (as an aside, he keeps winning in polls now as the best Batman, even before hottie Christian). Why Mr Keaton, although his Bruce Wayne wasn't hottie tottie, he played the hardened emotionless elder Wayne and the tough Batman really well. I believed that he was as disenchanted and almost hopeless as the stone buildings of Gotham.

And Gary Oldman is perfect. That mustache makes me believe!

The editors cranked up the voice distorter too much in Dark Knight Batman vocals.

My little sister wondered why Robin has not made an appearance. My thoughts are this-- the current love affair with Batman is with his dark, brooding side and having a boy around as a sidekick ruins the themes recent scriptwriters have been using. It gets to Christopher Reeve "Gee willickers Batman!" POW! in cartoon balloons. That doesn't make summer blockbuster money.

There are my two cents (or two headed quarter as it may appropriately be said in this case.)
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:55 am

Nevermind, that was Harley Quinn-- I was confusing two characters.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Bonnie on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:05 am

oh and I never watched the george clooney version because when the star says it sucks, I'm not going to waste my time.
Bonnie

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:12 am

Quoting Bonnie from 02:41, 26th Jul 2008
And Gary Oldman is perfect. That mustache makes me believe!

While the Joker was pretty awesome, Gary Oldman made the film for me.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Re:

Postby theshadowhost on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:01 pm

Quoting Bonnie from 03:05, 26th Jul 2008
oh and I never watched the george clooney version because when the star says it sucks, I'm not going to waste my time.

I heard if you tell george that you paid to watch it at the cinema, he'll give you your money back himself!

[hr]

theshadowhost

Re:

Postby Smiles2787 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:00 am

Did anyone else notice the continuum problem? Batman dropped that Italian mobster guy off a balcony and he quite audibly broke his legs, then a little while later he gets in the car with twoface completely fine?????
Great film tho. Excellent :)
Smiles2787

Re:

Postby Dave the Explosive Newt on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:39 pm

Quoting Smiles2787 from 09:00, 27th Jul 2008
Did anyone else notice the continuum problem? Batman dropped that Italian mobster guy off a balcony and he quite audibly broke his legs, then a little while later he gets in the car with twoface completely fine?????
Great film tho. Excellent :)

Actually he had a walking stick, although you would expect him to be in bilateral casts.

I do think that the sheer awesomeness of Heath Ledger didn't really overshadow the other actors, but simply threw acting that was merely good into sharp contrast. I was trying to come up with any of the deep psychological questions it asks - intrestingly I've not seen anything like that mentioned in the reviews, although I couldn't help figuring it really tried to to investigate just how far people could be pushed before they start to turn... the Joker taunting batman to 'break his rule', turning Harvey Dent into Two-face, the experiment with the boats, etc.

One thing I think spoiled it was that we knew that Harvey was going to become two-face, and it was simply a question of when and how.

[hr]

Mmmmmmm, cake.
http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37102114
Dave the Explosive Newt

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board