Home

TheSinner.net

McKays

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

McKays

Postby Fawksie on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:36 pm

The latest replacement for what will always be known to me as Broons. Describes itself as a "Scottish bar and restaurant" which immediately put me off going in. Most bars in Scotland are Scottish bars, and they don't advertise themselves as such unless they're marketing primarily towards American tourists.

Has anyone been in?
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby sevenandthedoctor on Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:44 pm

Ive been in a couple of time and its allright. Exactly the same as howies but they only do bar food and the drinks are more expensive - good range of whiskies though. Though times ive been in the staff have been really slow and its taken ages too get served - and the music was really really loud. I agree about the scottish theme - theyve taken it a bit too far and its a bit silly - and its not really necessary considering the bar is actually in scotland...All in all its a nice pub to stop off for one but its certainyl nothing special. Bets on how long this one will last?
sevenandthedoctor

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:07 am

Cheers :) I'll give it a go at some point when I'm back in town. Hard to believe they managed to increase prices more than Howies did :(
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Re:

Postby The Penguin Of Death! on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:59 am

The drinks aren't the cheapest in town but they do have 'buy one get one free' every night after 9pm!
The Penguin Of Death!

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:20 pm

Is this McKays connected with the McKays in Pitlochry?
Al

Re:

Postby Timata on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:29 pm

Quoting Al from 14:20, 4th Aug 2008

Probably. On the way to the cinema the other day one of my friends did say "looks like its part of a chain" - I figured the *established: sometime-in-the-last-century* gave it away. Looks very touristy to me anyway.
Timata

Re:

Postby sejanus on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:03 pm

Quoting Fawksie from 00:36, 4th Aug 2008
The latest replacement for what will always be known to me as Broons.

Broons? Pah, johnny come latelys. The Four Woods? Now there was a pub...
sejanus

Re:

Postby Amorphous on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:33 pm

Quoting Al from 14:20, 4th Aug 2008

I was wondering about this too, because I live there. :( If it's the same company then I don't hold much hope for the St Andrews version!

[hr]

If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
If Jack Bauer was put in a room with Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler and Nina Myers and handed a gun with two bullets, he'd shoot Nina twice.
Amorphous

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:43 pm

Aye, it's got the same branding as the one in Pitlochry, according to the website.
Fawksie
Administrator

Return to The Sinner's Main Board