Home

TheSinner.net

Edinburgh Fringe

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Edinburgh Fringe

Postby Garnet on Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:37 am

Anyone got any recommendations? Shows to avoid?

The only show I've seen that i would recomend would be 'Now is the hour' at the hill street theatre, which set during WW2 and is based on the true story of some people trapped on a lifeboat after their boat sinks.

I'm also doing a show,Absinthe: The Green Fairy, 11:20am at Greenside, which is 3 one act plays all connected to the green fairy.

[hr]

so alive, so full of fire and music!
I joined the sinner in 1970 :-O
Garnet

Re:

Postby Thackary on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:18 am

Aluminium Show looks good.
Also several comedians such as Daniel Kitson (Traverse Theatre), Jimmy Carr (EICC) and comic magicians - Pete Firman (Underbelly) and Barry & Stuart (Underbelly).

Of the above, I'd say Daniel Kitson is going to be the most entertaining; he's unlikely to provide any great spectacle or cause asphyxiation from you laughing too much, but his style of heartwarming humour will stay with you for a good long while after you've seen him.
Thackary

Some recommendations

Postby La Jouissance on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:49 am

I'd second what Thackary said about Barry and Stuart. It is very very funny and will have you laughing out loud - their act is very polished.

In the same line, I'd recommend Phillip Escoffey who's a Mentalist magician (mind reading etc.) I was amazed at the stuff he was doing and he's a thoroughly nice guy.

I also went to see Tim Minchin - he's a brilliant musician and arch-atheist and hilarious.

Also, a bit more out of the left field, I went to see Learn to play the Ukulele in 1 hour: How George Formby Saved my Life which was very entertaining and musical to boot (everyone in the audience has a ukulele!).

Have a good Fringe!
La Jouissance

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:38 am

There are two shows going which have been performed during the last semester in St Andrews. Betrayal and The Last Five Years both played to large audiences at Mermaid's newly acquired Barron Theatre and received very good reviews.

Betrayal runs at Rocket@Roxburghe Hotel until the 16th August (21:30pm start)

The Last Five Years runs at C Central also until the 16th August (15:15pm start)

(Sorry if I've missed any other st Andrews shows!)

[hr]

? The humble question mark?
? So much mightier than the sword?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby James Shield on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:41 am

James Shield

Re:

Postby Guest on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:36 am

There's an excellent show at Edinburgh F.C called Topical Scurvy, starts 1pm 7-15th Aug and it is written and performed by the guy who started ComedySoc at St Andrews!

Return to The Sinner's Main Board