Home

TheSinner.net

Freshers Week

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Freshers Week

Postby a on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:43 am

When will this year's Freshers Week schedule be posted?
a

Re:

Postby Gealle on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Dunno... Anyone know when the presesh schedule will be posted, though?

Quoting a from 01:06, 11th Aug 2008
When will this year's Freshers Week schedule be posted?

[hr]

So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

"I make sure the shit stays off the fan."
So someone asked me "What is it you do?". I thought about it for a minute. Then I thought about it a little more. All the while I probably looked like I was staring in to space, struggling for an answer. And I was. There was only one response I could really give.

Gealle

Re:

Postby RandomMusings on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:17 pm

There should be a website shortly devoted to the Orientation/presesh/freshers/whatever-you-want-to-call-it Week events. The schedule is nearly finalised and things look good. A little bit different to recent years.

[hr]

? The humble question mark?
? So much mightier than the sword?
...and as the red red robin of time goes bob bob bobbin under the snowplough of eternity.... I see it's time to end
RandomMusings

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:42 pm

The only sensible term is the one gealle used - Pre-Sesh or Pre-Sessional Week. The term "Freshers' Week" is an abomination and should never be used.
Al

Re:

Postby Lid on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Quoting Al from 20:42, 11th Aug 2008
The only sensible term is the one gealle used - Pre-Sesh or Pre-Sessional Week. The term "Freshers' Week" is an abomination and should never be used.

Was Orientation not originally the programme for overseas students that used to last but a few days?

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Thackary on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:21 pm

"Orientation" is the name adopted by the majority of University departments, including Student Support Services, who collate the majority of events during the week, and arrange welcome groups at and buses from Edinburgh airport.

It is also the name given to the same period at the majority of American universities, colleges and schools.

Freshers' Week is the name adopted by the majority of other Universities around the UK, and is the most widely recognised.

Pre-sesh seems the most sensible name, as the period last for 9 days, and is for everyone; not just Freshers. But personally I don't like it.
Thackary

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:36 pm

I hate the term "Freshers' Week" not only because it suggests that activities are only for first years, but also because the word "fresher" is not - or wasn't - used at St Andrews. Most other universities don't have their own words for the years of study like we have at St Andrews.
Al

Re:

Postby Al on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:37 pm

Quoting Lid from 21:00, 11th Aug 2008
Was Orientation not originally the programme for overseas students that used to last but a few days?

I'm not sure. It sounds right enough but I can't really remember.
Al

Re:

Postby Gealle on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:39 am

That's certainly what Orientation was back in my day... But that's seven years ago now.

I feel old. Who feels older?

Quoting Al from 23:37, 11th Aug 2008
Quoting Lid from 21:00, 11th Aug 2008

I'm not sure. It sounds right enough but I can't really remember.

[hr]

Gealle

Re:

Postby exnihilo on Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:02 am

Both Al and me, for a start.

I dislike Freshers' Week intensely as it isn't limited to new students and it doesn't last a week.

It was Pre-Sesh in my day and, and Orientation was a couple of days before pre-sesh which was for overseas students.

I vote for pre-sesh still because it's distinctive, nowhere else seems to use it.
exnihilo

Re:

Postby Guest on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:14 pm

Any Chance?

Re:

Postby d_24 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:15 am

When is the Societies Fayre?

[hr]

Before Bauer...There Was House
Before Bauer...There Was House
d_24

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:02 am

Freshers' Fayre is Sunday 28th September
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:59 am

Fayre? Fayre?...

Cretins... :-/

[hr]

The Sinner.
"Apologies in advance for pedantry."
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Ewan Husami on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:18 am

Fayre! FAYRE!
Ewan Husami

Re:

Postby Hennessy on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:31 am

Fayre enough...

[hr]

The Sinner.
The Sinner.
Hennessy

Re:

Postby Bizarre Atheist on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:06 am

You wouldn't steal a handbag. You wouldn't steal a car. You wouldn't steal a containership full of tanks. Piracy is a crime, do not accept it.
Bizarre Atheist

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:37 am

Oh god - some of the wording on the that poster actually mad me cringe.

Feel the welcome, feel the warmth.

in the darkness of the night.

Looks like a good enough lineup though. You might get some complaints from the advocates of cheese, but we'll see how it works out.

[hr]

"The entirety of these definitions lie outside the gamut of the sRGB color space — such a pure color cannot be represented using RGB primaries. The color swatch to the right is a desaturated approximation, created by taking the centroid of the standard definition and moving it towards the D65 white point, until it meets the sRGB gamut triangle."
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Oli on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:02 pm

There is a time and a place for cheese, and it's on Friday night (there'll be rather a lot of cheese)
Oli

Re:

Postby Fawksie on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Orientation is the name that Student Support Services and the Association have been using for the past few years, at least since 2006 when I was a volunteer.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board