Home

TheSinner.net

Deadliest flight disaster in Western Europe since the Lockerbie bombing

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Deadliest flight disaster in Western Europe since the Lockerbie bombing

Postby Guest on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:36 am

Spanair Flight JK 5022, on a short haul flight from Barajas Airport in Madrid to Gran Canaria Airport in Gran Canaria, Spain, crashed immediately after takeoff from runway 36L of Barajas Airport at 14:45 CEST (12:45 UTC). It is the deadliest flight disaster in Western Europe since the Lockerbie bombing in 1988, with 153 people now believed to have died, seven while en route to the hospital.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7573674.stm

Re:

Postby rob 'f*ck off' wine boy on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:47 am

Goodness gracious, I didn't know.
Thought begets Heresy; Heresy begets retribution.
rob 'f*ck off' wine boy

Re:

Postby eagle on Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:25 pm

What do we say to that?
I mean, where do we start? Do you want us to be shocked and surprised? Or maybe you've posted it here so that we can offer condolences?

I'd've thought that most people would use the BBC or another broadcaster for their fix of world news, so it can't be for that purpose. Perhaps you're trying to start a debate, but you haven't even posed a question.

I just don't get it.
eagle

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:27 pm

Quoting eagle from 14:25, 21st Aug 2008
What do we say to that?
I mean, where do we start? Do you want us to be shocked and surprised? Or maybe you've posted it here so that we can offer condolences?

I'd've thought that most people would use the BBC or another broadcaster for their fix of world news, so it can't be for that purpose. Perhaps you're trying to start a debate, but you haven't even posed a question.

I just don't get it.

I think it's just....news. Yknow..stuff people might want to know about or discuss. I wouldn't look any further in to it than that.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Legion on Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:13 am

So...

How 'bout that plane crash. Very sad. Perhaps they shouldn't build runways over dry river beds.
Legion

Re:

Postby Lid on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:18 am

Quoting legion from 01:13, 22nd Aug 2008
Perhaps they shouldn't build runways over dry river beds.

If a plane is going to slide off the runway, be it into a ravine, hangar, body of water, or road, there's not much you can do about it at that point of the flight. However, I don't think this is as clean-cut, early indications seem to show that the plane rotated, then pitched down and rolled right. If it were engine failure on the left side, you'd expect the opposite roll.

Plane crashes in general are very irksome, as the usual brand of aviation 'experts' - Sir Humphrey Uglyjumper et. al. - come out of the woodwork (i.e. when the media company can't be bothered to pay for someone from Jane's) and give their kneejerk reaction. It also means I hear nothing else at work for several days.

[hr]

Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Re:

Postby Haunted on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:44 pm

BBC graphics brought to you by MS Flight Simulator
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7575607.stm

[hr]

Now with 100% more corn
Genesis 19:4-8
Haunted