Home

TheSinner.net

Music me, please.

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Music me, please.

Postby cannulae on Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:58 pm

Tell me what music you listen to. Who, why, etc. etc. ITV indie fans need not bother.

I'm looking for violent discussion. Music is subjective chat does not count either. Music is good or it isn't.
cannulae

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:10 pm

Quoting cannulae from 17:58, 29th Aug 2008Music is good or it isn't.

Define good.

I can't stand pop, dance, rap, hip hop etc but if someone said they thought it was good I wouldn't think they were wrong.

[hr]

Like flames on fuel...upon metal I drool
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby cannulae on Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:12 pm

Define pop, rap, hip hop, wah wah wah.

Lil Wayne is good. Battles are good.

50 Cent is bad. The Feeling are the worst.

Use that as a guide.
cannulae

Re:

Postby papercutheart on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:11 pm

Scroobius Pip.

For fans of the spoken word.
papercutheart

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Quoting cannulae from 18:12, 29th Aug 2008
Define pop, rap, hip hop, wah wah wah.

> Wikipedia.

Lil Wayne is good. Battles are good.

50 Cent is bad. The Feeling are the worst.

Use that as a guide.

I think you may have missed the point.

To answer you for the hell of it - I listen to rock/metal mainly. Too many bands and artists to number but the reason is because I love the guitar and the technical playing exhibited in heavy metal solos for instance.

[hr]

Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby cannulae on Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:51 pm

I haven't missed the point, i'm not accepting the premise. Subjective chat isn't going to work here.

I'd be interested in your definition of 'rock' though. Killswitch? The Kooks?

What I have learned though is you're into sweaty hairy dudes wanking on a fretboard. I find the waste of a guitar in that way pretty offensive a lot of the time. When you hear how Dirty Projectors or Edwyn Collins use a guitar to make noise, and then hear Joe Satriani... jesus wept.

Scroobius Pip... i've never properly explored 'spoken word'. Although after we lost Rollins to it, I do hold a grudge. Scroobius Pip specifically, good for a laugh... don't see much merit in it though. Just go to a poetry recital or something.

"She stole my heart and my cat!"

A Fun Point to anyone naming the film.
cannulae

Re:

Postby Oli on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:03 am

I'll second Scroobius Pip, but mostly when he works with Dan Le Sac; I much prefer their collaborative stuff to his solo work, although there's a crossover of his lyrics.

Recently, I've enjoyed listening to Deadmau5, Coldplay, Joanna Newsom, CagedBaby, Madeleine Peyroux, Richard Hawley, Calvin Harris, Kings of Leon, Pendulum, Ray Lamontagne, Simian Mobile Disco, Utah Saints, Ting Tings, Get Cape Wear Cape Fly, Inspiral Carpets, James, Woody Guthrie and The Postal Service.

I don't think that all their music is good, but there is at least one track by each of the above that I would recommend you try.

If you're after new music, I would also recommend you take a look at www.hypem.com - either pick and choose from the most recent blog posts, or type in an artist name to find out what's been talked about in the last few weeks. Chances are, if you like the stuff you search for, the blogs you'll find will list something else that might pique your interest. Give it a try.

And try not to be so aggressive in your inquiries - we know you only like what you like. No need to get people's backs up.
Oli

Re:

Postby irish200 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:36 am

Quoting cannulae from 17:58, 29th Aug 2008
Tell me what music you listen to. Who, why, etc. etc. ITV indie fans need not bother.

I'm looking for violent discussion. Music is subjective chat does not count either. Music is good or it isn't.

Violent discussion? Fuck off Glen.
irish200

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:31 am

I like music. If we're talking modern stuff, devendra banhart, sufjan stevens, sigur ros, low, arcade fire. If we're talking older stuff, I'm mainly into all of those slightly eccentic solo artists. Dylan, Neil Young, Nick Cave, Leonard Cohen. Tom Waits is awesome. Bruce Springsteen too. Then there's bands like the Doors, Pink Floyd, Can, the Pixies, Husker Du, Wire, Joy Division/New Order. Then there's all that older soul stuff (you know, back when soul music didn't mean somebody warbling over some soul-less piece of garbage) like Marvin Gaye and Ben E King. And finally old blues guys like John lee Hooker, Howlin Wolf, Son House, Blind Willie Johnson rule.

For me, music is all about soul. Howlin Wolf has got it. Neil Young has got it. The Arctic Monkeys, less so.

But thats only for me. "Music is good or it isn't" is a ridiculous statement. What music is good for you depends upon what you want it for. If you're having a party, most of what I named would be useless. If you're wanting something to put on in the background, sticking on Captain Beefheart maybe isn't a good idea. If you're in a depressed mood, listening to Joy Division maybe isn't the best idea. etc etc. The only thing I don't understand is people who don't like any music at all.

I do feel that modern "indie" is perhaps the most godawful genre known to man, but thats just my opinion. Music is a paradigm cause of a subjective art form. Oddly, I'd feel a lot less inclined to disagree with someone who said a book is either good or it isn't.

[hr]

"I said farewell honey, I'll see you Judgment Day"
WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby cannulae on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:36 am

Yes yes very good...

Hype Machine is cheating. Like eating.

This is good though, Joanna Newsom, no complaints there. As long as you don't go all Sean Adams on me.

Calvin Harris bothers me, but that Dizzee track was a lark so i'm not so hostile anymore. The Ting Tings... definitely a low point of the last 12 months. I'm happy for them that they can get away with ripping off 2 songs, smooshing them into one song, and getting to number one, but I don't want it anywhere near my ears.

Pendulum = music for people who don't like music.

Sam Duckworth always made me laugh. I have to say, the trumpet was a bit much. And I always wanted to like Richard Hawley but his solo records are just so dull.
cannulae

Re:

Postby cannulae on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:45 am

Washington Irving... reference to the author or are you related to the Glasgow band in some way? That would be fun.

Exciting to see Low mentioned. Easily one of the best bands still active these days. Amusingly Mike Diver (RIP) wrote recently that no 19 year old actually listens to Can. That made us laugh.

You're right, Low would be ridiculous for a party, but that doesn't stop it being good. Low are always good. The Hoosiers are always bad. It's not as subjective as you all want it to be.

Good list though. Sigur Ros always strike me as music to sleep to and nothing more, but I realise that that statement can get you shot in student circles. I'm not in any way an Arctic Monkeys fan, but they're fucking good. That A Certain Romance track, magic. Quite something to see at a festival too. Of all the guitar bands that get mainstream attention these days, quite possibly Arctic Monkeys and Kings of Leon are the only ones with any kind of musical integrity.

Husker Du, you take it any further than that? Would love to hear if there are any Black Flag/Minutemen/Minor Threat/Rites of Spring/Embrace fans around here.
cannulae

Re:

Postby WashingtonIrving on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:16 am

Nah its from Catch-22, I've used the name online since I was 15 or something. I'm not 19 so thats fine. Can are great though, well apart from the whole Malcolm Mooney thing.

I think you need to actually listen to Sigur Ros and not put it on in the background. I spent years thinking the same thing, then I actually listened to it.

I used to listen to Black Flag but I've lost any appetite for that kind of stuff. Husker Du are usually about the right side of melodic, though I still love Zen Arcade which is pretty hardcore in places so I dunno.

[hr]

WashingtonIrving

Re:

Postby AliceChalliner on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:38 am

Quoting cannulae from 20:51, 29th Aug 2008
What I have learned though is you're into sweaty hairy dudes wanking on a fretboard. I find the waste of a guitar in that way pretty offensive a lot of the time. When you hear how Dirty Projectors or Edwyn Collins use a guitar to make noise, and then hear Joe Satriani... jesus wept.

What you appear to be ignoring in your blinkered view that you are indeed, objectively correct in all of your music tastes, is that even if music is "objective" (there's good music and bad music decided upon my a list of objective fact - not, by the way, by you)....the list of deciding factors is different for different genres.

You can't compare the guitar styles of Joe Satriani to Edwyn Collins because they're aiming at different goals, and in my opinion, the assessment is how well they reach that goal. ie if it's meant to move you, it should move you. if it's meant to make your heart pound with aggression and testosterone, then it should!

Just cos you don't relate to a particular genre doesn't make it "bad music".

And I just listened to Edwyn Collins - I really didn't think he was much special. I'm wondering if i got the right one cos www.edwyncollins.com needs to press his fingers down on his guitar a bit more cos he's getting a buzz coming out....and he's like, a tiny tiny bit out of key which is quite frustrating to listen to cos it just puts my ears on edge.

If you like acoustic guitar playing check out these guys, you might like them....www.rodgab.com
AliceChalliner

Re:

Postby munchingfoo on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:03 am

Quoting cannulae from 09:36, 30th Aug 2008
Pendulum = music for people who don't like music.

All music can for be for people who don't need to think about it. That's one of the beauties of music. On the other hand, good music generally can be thought about on a critical or imaginative level.

[hr]

"The entirety of these definitions lie outside the gamut of the sRGB color space — such a pure color cannot be represented using RGB primaries. The color swatch to the right is a desaturated approximation, created by taking the centroid of the standard definition and moving it towards the D65 white point, until it meets the sRGB gamut triangle."
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Re:

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:05 am

Like others have said your premise is ridiculous. But even putting subjective aside why ask what people like only to arrogantly decide whether they're correct? I don't need your seal of approval on my justification of why I like the music I like.

I like guitar virtuosos like Joe Satriani (big fan of him actually) because of the mastery of the instrument. I like that in fast show-off wankery and I like it in stuff with a bit more meaning like Satch. Assuming I must only like mindless shred is grossly prejudice.

My 'definition' of rock (because I need one apparently ¬_¬) is classic stuff like The Who or AC/DC. Is that acceptable for you?

Quoting cannulae from 20:51, 29th Aug 2008
I haven't missed the point, i'm not accepting the premise. Subjective chat isn't going to work here.

I'd be interested in your definition of 'rock' though. Killswitch? The Kooks?

Scroobius Pip... i've never properly explored 'spoken word'. Although after we lost Rollins to it, I do hold a grudge. Scroobius Pip specifically, good for a laugh... don't see much merit in it though. Just go to a poetry recital or something.

"She stole my heart and my cat!"

A Fun Point to anyone naming the film.

[hr]

Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby cannulae on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:07 pm

This is the anger i'm looking for, good work.

Edwyn Collins recently had a stroke, maybe two actually, so can't play like he used to at the moment. Needs his wife's help in fact. But he was in Orange Juice, 'nuff said.
cannulae

O.o

Postby Power Metal Dom on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:50 pm

I feel so used!

[hr]

Power Metal Dom

Re:

Postby Starla on Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:00 pm

Bend over and take it Dom, you know you love it.

[hr]

"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
"We all live in our Fantasy and only endure our Reality..." - R.A.Wilson
Starla

Re:

Postby Kat on Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:47 am

Blood Sweat and Tears. Amazing horns, great vocals. Fantastic for most activities.

Opera.
Kat

Re:

Postby Mehmsy on Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:00 am

Listen to Boards of Canada, and then never listen to anything else again.

[hr]

http://standrews.facebook.com/profile.php?id=37106593
Mehmsy

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board