Home

TheSinner.net

Boycott tesco!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Boycott tesco!

Postby niall on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Have a look at this: http://www.boycotttesco.com

That's crazy, I mean, Tesco are spying on us? they should be burned!

or what I really think...

What a complete and utter moron! the "what's wrong?" page makes me so angry with morons like this. Its as if the person has read selective bits off of wikipedia (uncyclopedia perhaps?!) and mashed it together with some hellishly bad paranoia! the bit here about the cards:

Every time you scan your Tesco card, Tesco collects a record of your purchases. The Ecologist writes that "Tesco...uses the data collected from your loyalty card to dictate what you buy, when you buy and how much you buy." In other words, they use they data they collect on you to manipulate your spending with the store.

no, they don't tell you what to buy, they just happen to know that you'll get pissed off if you go into buy X and you can't get Y at the same time.

argh, people like this really get on my nerves.
niall

Re: Boycott tesco!

Postby Andy Monkey B on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:28 am

yeah it was a fair bit of scaremongering. In the "about RFID" section there's a blatantly untrue statement:

"RFID stands for Radio Frequency IDentification"
"Researchers have discovered that exposure to this type of energy could cause permanent harm to DNA"

Well no, radio frequency electromagnetic waves are non-ionising, so cannot directly cause damage to DNA, each photon simply doesn't have enough energy.

On a positive note though, I did have a great idea for an entire meal made with produce bought solely from local shops in st andrews, not entering tesco, morrisons or aldi. Would be quite a challenge, but if everyone in St Andrews did it in a weekend or something, it might be quite a good project.
Andy Monkey B

Postby househunter on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:41 am

Go to the veg shop near the gateway on South Street for your veg and then go to the butchers on Market Street for 5 of your daily meats.

I would do this most of the time anyway. But some students are too reliant on the Tesco Finest range.
househunter

Postby Lid on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:19 am

Andy Monkey B wrote:Well no, radio frequency electromagnetic waves are non-ionising, so cannot directly cause damage to DNA, each photon simply doesn't have enough energy.

Indeed, and the field strength generated by these tiny transmitters is going to be several orders of magnitude less than other more conventional uses of this big bad 'radio frequency', such as Band II FM (radio), TV and WiFi - but that crusade doesn't have a big bad corporate wolf behind it. On with the tin hats, chaps.
Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin
Lid

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:36 pm

Forgetting, of course, that most RFID tags are passive, meaning that they only emit radio frequencies when an external energy is applied to them.

This would mean that even if RFID tags caused cancer the only people at risk would be those who handled the tag readers, which I guess would be the shop workers, not the customers.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Paul Carey on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:53 pm

househunter wrote: go to the butchers on Market Street for 5 of your daily meats.

You won't be able to do that for much longer. Murray Mitchell's the last family run butcher in St Andrews closes down sometime this month.
Paul Carey
NPH Cinema, St Andrews
Paul Carey

Postby househunter on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:22 pm

Well I guess you'll have to veggie for the contest then, or stock up when the farmers market comes to town.
househunter

Return to The Sinner's Main Board