Home

TheSinner.net

Drinking vs Going Teetotal at Uni

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

Re: Drinking vs Going Teetotal at Uni

Postby Anon. on Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:11 pm

Haunted wrote:Unless you know of another reason for imbibing ethanol?

Because it makes a drink taste so good! Non-alcoholic drinks are nearly all just a bit... non.
Anon.

Postby Darkwind on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:56 pm

Hennessy wrote:I'll put my argument plainly and simply, it is childish to be at one end of the spectrum or the other on a constant basis, because both ways you are quite clearly losing out.

Teetotal___________________________Happy Medium____________________________Pisshead

ABNORMAL------------------------------------- NORMAL ---------------------------------------ABNORMAL

For the record here I am teetotal - I have tried various alcoholic beverages and did not like the taste. I also saw no reason to acquire a taste for alcohol partially due to monetary considerations and partially because I really don't like the idea of an alien chemical affecting my actions.

I must disagree with your contention that it is 'childish' to not drink. Saying you won't drink 'just because' is immature, but having valid reasons for doing so (don't like it, allergic in some way) and sticking by your convictions surely is a sign or maturity? I can respect people who drink because they like the taste but I have no understanding of those who go drinking for the express purpose of getting wasted. Surely they are the ones being childish?
In response to the allegation that by going teetotal:
Hennessy wrote:you are quite clearly losing out.

I have had great fun at parties - both where people were drinking and not. (To be fair I have no idea whether drinking would have changed the experience in any way) but the point stands that I have not been in any situations where drinking would have made an appreciable difference to the amount of fun I had.
The above is my opinion and understanding and as such carries no guarantee to its accuracy
Darkwind

Postby RedCelt69 on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:34 pm

I really don't like the idea of an alien chemical affecting my actions.

Not sure what you mean by "alien" chemicals. Every meal we have contains chemicals which affect the brain, whether perceptibly or otherwise. Not just on about E numbers, even the "purest" (therefore non-alien, presumably) substances such as sugar will affect your actions. Try going on a sugar-binge followed by cold turkey (that's the sudden withdrawal of sugar, not an invitation to follow up the sugary diet with a few slices of chilled poultry) and see how your mood swings.

Agree with your right to be tee-total. As to whether you are missing out <shrug> all of our decisions mean we miss out on certain things for the opportunity to sample life as we have chosen. So, in a way, you are missing out. Then again, so is the "piss-head".

My 2c
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Frank on Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:50 pm

Darkwind wrote:In response to the allegation that by going teetotal:
Hennessy wrote:you are quite clearly losing out.

I have had great fun at parties - both where people were drinking and not. (To be fair I have no idea whether drinking would have changed the experience in any way) but the point stands that I have not been in any situations where drinking would have made an appreciable difference to the amount of fun I had.

In fairness, that...does not compute. I myself am a firm 'no drugs (except alcohol)' brand of hypocrite, but I understand the distinction. I realise I am missing something by not going in for joints and whatnot. But what you say above, specificaly "the point stands that I have not been...", is surely impossible for you to no given that "I have no idea whether drinking would have changed the experience in anyway".

As I said: Does not compute. You either know you wouldn't have more fun by drinking (which surely means you know whether drinking would affect your experience) or you don't know but are happy not knowing quite how much that alteration would affect you.

(We do enjoy a bit of pedantry hereabouts)

For myself, my main worry about anything drugswise beyond alcohol is that of addiction. It's a biochemical thing, as best I understand it, and I've no wish to test my willpower against something I'm not assured a strong chance of beating (I have some willpower doubts, y'see). With alcohol...well, I have a bit of a double standard there.

Not to worry. Drinking is fun, but it's by no means necessary. Being wasted is fun, but I've only one person to blame if it goes tits-up.

I do think Henessy has the right approach, albeit I wouldn't say 'childish'. Moderation is the key, as usual. I don't think anyone would really recommend you become an alcoholic.

(As an aside, the realisation that 'things which affect our mind without our say' are not exactly rare alleviates the apprehension somewhat. So much so that it, the idea of a bit of drugwise experimentation* still lingers in my head.

* I might not that it's a serious consideration of experimentation. To do it in a controlled way, taking notes etc. It almost sounds fun, from a theorist's perspective)
Frank

Postby theshadowhost on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:48 am

from the original article:
' After three days at Aberystwyth University, David Wiley tired of the constant pressure to drink and decided to leave.

"Flatmates were always knocking on my door, saying 'you coming out', 'wanna get hammered?'," he says. '

What an fucking idiot. if you dont want to drink - dont drink. its not rocket science. dropping out of uni on day 3 of freshers week because your flatmates invited you out makes you a tard - and not someone the BBC should be interviewing.
theshadowhost

Postby Anon. on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:35 pm

Frank wrote:For myself, my main worry about anything drugswise beyond alcohol is that of addiction. It's a biochemical thing, as best I understand it, and I've no wish to test my willpower against something I'm not assured a strong chance of beating (I have some willpower doubts, y'see). With alcohol...well, I have a bit of a double standard there.

I think I remember reading somewhere that alcohol is actually more addictive than some classified drugs.

What is drinking in moderation, though? The Government-recommended weekly maximum? The Government-recommended daily maximum (which works out more over the week if you have it every day)?
Anon.

Previous

Return to The Sinner's Main Board