Home

TheSinner.net

I've Always Wanted to Tell You This

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

I've Always Wanted to Tell You This

Postby 777 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:42 am

Rules first. ANYONE naming names, known pseudonyms or otherwise providing the type of detail that will easily identify any person concerned will be shot at dawn and his or her entrails will be auctioned at sunset, it is not an idle threat, we have peashooters. Respect everyone's right to a humiliation free existence.

This is your chance to tell the world (remember the peashooters!) about the habits/dress/speech/mannerisms or just general_damn_irritatingness™ of anyone in St Andrews who drives you to the edge of insanity and beyond. They might mend their ways just to please you or alternatively they may add you to their own St Andrews Deathwish™ (some people take criticism badly)
I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread today but when I looked again it said 'Thick Cut'

Re: I've Always Wanted to Tell You This

Postby careba2010 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:29 am

Any badly dressed middle aged couple (normally americans!) who are here for the golf. Walk faster down the b*oody pavement as some of us have places to be. Also just because your in St Andrews you dont have to dress up as Tom Morris in your plus fours!
careba2010

Postby Kelly on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:18 pm

For some reason I find anyone who buys Ugg boots that don't quite fit intensely grating. Not a day goes by without me seeing at least one person shuffle through town with a lolloping gait as if they're walking on the side of their feet rather than the soles. If you're going to spend £100 plus on shoes they should at least be the right size!
Kelly

Postby Duggeh on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:31 pm

Fuckers who push and cram in at the bar queue in the union. Your behaviour makes me physically sick.
Duggeh

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:35 pm

indeed
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby starsandsparkles on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:41 pm

You are very attractive but the tracksuit bottoms do nothing for you.
starsandsparkles

Postby theshadowhost on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:14 pm

second year guys: you dont own the place just because you have been here a year, dont slease on the first year girls and dont assume because you dont recognise someone that they are a first year.

If someone is being an annoying twat - it is usually a second year. -- less responsibility about grades, but a cocky attitude towards how much they really know about life in st andrews.
theshadowhost

Postby Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:04 pm

People who start conversations or threads with "So.." - find it quite annoying.

Postby RedCelt69 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:10 am

So.. any driver (particularly on the Cupar to St Andrews road) who thinks that "National Speed Restriction Applies" signs mean 50mph or (gnashing of teeth) 40mph.

FYI

Single carriageways, the national speed limit is 60.

Dual carriageways, the national speed limit is 70.

Taking as an example a specimen from yesterday who decided 45mph was an appropriate speed for the better part of 5 miles... with roughly 20 cars stuck behind them. Let's do the maths...

5 miles at 45mph takes 6mins, 40secs
5 miles at 60mph takes 5mins

So each car was delayed by 1min 40secs. Multiply that by 20 cars and you get 33mins, 20secs.

Collectively, that's over half an hour of those people's lives (assuming every car has only 1 occupant) which they'll never get back again. All for the sake of someone who doesn't understand the Highway Code. Multiply that out for regular commuters (it's far from a rare occurence) and it soon mounts up.

PS Maths isn't my strong point, so if the above is wrong feel free to correct me. Regardless, the point stands.
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and celt
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Fawksie on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:35 am

I drove from St Andrews to Cupar last night behind some twat who insisted on doing 35. At 10:30 on a quiet road (not quiet on the other side otherwise I'd have been able to overtake). They make my blood boil. I call them the 40 Club. They also have this neat feature whereby if they find themselves on a long straight they'll speed up to make passing them slightly more difficult. And it's frankly astounding how many people seem to think that the limit for a car on a dual carriageway is 60. I actually had to show the Highway Code to my father to prove it.
The fox is a crafty and deceitful animal that never runs in a straight line, but only in circles.
Fawksie
Administrator

Postby RedCelt69 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:35 am

People who say "110%" or "200%" or even "1000%".

The whole point of a percentage is that (funnily enough) it's a range between 0 and 100 (inclusive).

110% doesn't emphasise your point... it only emphasises how ignorant you are.

This thread could run and run and run. Once the lid's been cracked open, all of those simmering resentments are bustling to be set free.

Free, I say! Freeeeeee!

People who write (you can sometimes hear them say it, too) "Could of" or "should of" instead of "could've" or "should've".

People who put "lol" at the end of a sentence. Laughing at something you, yourself, have said is not a healthy state of mind. "lol" should be used in reponse to something somebody else has said. If you think I'm talking crap, try reading (out loud) something you've written making sure you actually laugh at the point you've written "lol". How insane do you sound?

Bustling and a simmering, I tells ya... simmering and a bustling :|

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Telinar on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:50 am

Pyjama's are comfy, but they're not acceptable outdoor clothing, and you don't look cool, regardless if they're Jack Wills pyjama's or not.
Telinar

Postby Frank on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:09 am

Stop being offended by people laughing at their own jokes. Would we tell them if we didn't think they were funny? What's wrong with a chuckle at your own amusement?

Don't you dare eat that burger/roll with a knife and fork! If it's too big to lift and bite then take some stuff off of it and try again. Don't give up! Hang in there! Have some faith in yourself!
Frank

Postby RedCelt69 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:25 am

There's a world of difference between saying something you find amusing... and smiling... to Laughing Out Loud. The clue's in the last word, for one.
Would you honestly not be creeped out if someone said something and then burst out into raucous laughter?

They've had the thought process. They've typed it out (or spoken the words if it's IRL), and then burst out laughing?

I don't get it... I really don't. Personally, when I think of something funny, I'm smiling (internally or externally) at the time I have the thought. A number of seconds will have passed by the time I've actually articulated that thought. Why, oh why, oh why would I then suddenly find it so amusing that I couldn't refrain from raucous laughter?

It isn't just me. I'm struggling to think of anyone I've ever met who did that IRL. Doing it in an email/txt/msg is poor netiquette and/or a misunderstanding of what "lol" actually means.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby Frank on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:42 am

My objection hinges critically on this "Laughing at something you, yourself, have said is not a healthy state of mind"

A chuckle, a laugh,a guffaw, a chortle. Whatever. I favour the mild mirth and chuckle (not a euphemism!) myself.

Adding lol to things, I agree: silly. It makes you a silly willy, billy. Lol! :roll:
Frank

Postby RedCelt69 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:44 am

It makes you a silly willy, billy. Lol!

You do realise that gem was your 1000th post? :) Something to save for posterity.

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby munchingfoo on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 am

RedCelt69 wrote:People who say "110%" or "200%" or even "1000%".

The whole point of a percentage is that (funnily enough) it's a range between 0 and 100 (inclusive).

So it isn't possible for fuel prices, for example, to increase by 200%? I think you are incorrect, although I believe I understand what you mean. You are referring to percentages greater than 100 being used in a context where the hard limit of application is fixed and defined by 100%, for example - effort?

This thread could run and run and run. Once the lid's been cracked open, all of those simmering resentments are bustling to be set free.

I'm sure Lid wouldn't like it if you cracked him open. :p
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby RedCelt69 on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:53 am

So it isn't possible for fuel prices, for example, to increase by 200%? I think you are incorrect, although I believe I understand what you mean. You are referring to percentages greater than 100 being used in a context where the hard limit of application is fixed and defined by 100%, for example - effort?

Quite right. I stand corrected. There are times (such as those you gave) when > 100% is perfectly valid. It's the context which is important... and the context I was referring to was... effort.

I should have just nodded. Would have saved the typing. :)

Red Celt's Blog
RedCelt69

Postby LittleMissNaughty on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:54 am

[quote="RedCelt69"]People who say "110%" or "200%" or even "1000%".

I really hope you do not do maths, you can have whatever percentage you want, 200% of something being twice as much as the original and so on, in fact when teaching percentages we talk about things being 120% of the original (i.e. a 20% increase)...

People who write (you can sometimes hear them say it, too) "Could of" or "should of" instead of "could've" or "should've".

Or instead of "could have" maybe.....

At least get your facts straight before whinging!
LittleMissNaughty

Postby patience on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:54 am

that doing 50 mph in a 60 mph zone isn't actually a crime and sitting right behind someone bitching about it actually makes me a little scared.
patience

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board