Home

TheSinner.net

What is wrong with the bop?!

This message board is for discussing anything in any way remotely connected with St Andrews, the University or just anything you want. Welcome!

What is wrong with the bop?!

Postby little missy on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:34 pm

Some would ask what is right with the bop. But in the past I have had some superb nights dancing gaily and drunkenly to tunes I would never normally like. So it makes me more open minded to music. It gives an avenue for exercise so I
really feel like I've earned that filthy empire pizza and it gives me something to dress up for and look forward to. But for the last year or so there's been just a pile of dancy pish playing and the room has been less than half full.

I wish the DJs would stop trying to play to a club crowd when their audience is drunk people who want cheese. I love cheap and cheerful and I'd much rather pay £3.50 to dance to the Macarena than to sit down being pissed off by dance music that I've never heard of.

I long for the return of the 80s bops they used to have on a Saturday (about 4 years ago) but I'll make do with something I've heard of being played on a Friday night. Please Mr DJ?

Here endeth the rant.
little missy

Re: What is wrong with the bop?!

Postby starsandsparkles on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:43 pm

Ah, I replied, but because I quoted a now-deleted post, I lost it. Boo.

However, I agree :)
starsandsparkles

Postby munchingfoo on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Yeah - I've only had one hour of sleep and I was being an evil bastard, which I instantly regretted, hence the delete.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby Spike on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:28 pm

Hey, I'll be DJing this friday and I promise there will be as little *club* music as possible and as much cheese as can be drawn from a field of dairy cows! It'll be a special Bop as well, so stay tuned for more info ^_^

If you have any requests for the night let me know here ^_^

Spike
From Rock to Opera
Spike

Postby Ewan Husami on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:30 pm

The flyers that we got in the halls say "there's a time and a place", and the freshers' week publicity said "there's a time and a place for cheese"

So if you haven't been to the bop recently, you'll probably find that it's different from last year (under new management and all that).
Ewan Husami

Postby little missy on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:14 am

Now, I wouldn't rant without being informed. I went to the first bop of Freshers' week and the Friday bop last week. They might have done something different on the Friday of Freshers' week but it doesn't seem to have stuck if so.

As for requests: Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper, Belinda Carlisle, Europe, Britney Spears, Rednex: Cotton eye Joe, Divinyls: I touch myself,... I can go on. The sort of stuff they teach in DJ primary school - love it.
little missy

Postby Power Metal Dom on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:18 am

*yawn* Yet another "WTF happened to the bop?!" thread. If you want cheese...come to rocksoc!
Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby little missy on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:23 am

Yeah, thanks Dom. There's no more religious rocksoccer than I.

I couldn't find any other threads about the Bop. Admittedly I didn't look beyond the first page. Did they have good resolutions?
little missy

Postby munchingfoo on Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:50 am

No, I don't think it is possible to have a good resolution to that question. There is one large music venue in St Andrews and hundreds, or perhaps thousands of different exact musical tastes. I guess the closest we could get to happiness is to vary the themes on a Friday every week.
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve
munchingfoo

Postby James.C. on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:29 am

I think varied themes would be the best solution. I mean if its going to be cheese this week i personally might not turn up, as it isn't my sort of music (unless im very drunk, which is possible) but that doesn't mean other people won't enjoy it.
James.C.

Postby starsandsparkles on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:42 pm

The last 20 minutes of last night was awful. :(
starsandsparkles

Postby James.C. on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:56 pm

wasn't there last night so can't comment. Unless the music is poorly mixed, you can't really say "awful" as awful to you might be good to someone else.
James.C.

Postby starsandsparkles on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:22 pm

James.C. wrote:wasn't there last night so can't comment. Unless the music is poorly mixed, you can't really say "awful" as awful to you might be good to someone else.

I'm so tempted to reply with the very infantile "well, I just said it, so there".

It was obviously a statement of personal opinion, however most of the 15 or so people I was with also agreed, to the point where one of my flatmates just went home early.

Since when was pop music --> dance music a natural progressive flow? There were also a few "what IS this?" moments where everyone seemed to stop/slow down dancing.

I am fully willing to admit that I was drunk so perhaps my memory is not the most reliable but still.
starsandsparkles

Postby James.C. on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:21 pm

starsandsparkles wrote:
James.C. wrote:wasn't there last night so can't comment. Unless the music is poorly mixed, you can't really say "awful" as awful to you might be good to someone else.

I'm so tempted to reply with the very infantile "well, I just said it, so there".

It was obviously a statement of personal opinion, however most of the 15 or so people I was with also agreed, to the point where one of my flatmates just went home early.

Since when was pop music --> dance music a natural progressive flow? There were also a few "what IS this?" moments where everyone seemed to stop/slow down dancing.

I am fully willing to admit that I was drunk so perhaps my memory is not the most reliable but still.

Thats fair enough, but i have come across people who genuinely seem to think that music is "bad" because they and people they know don't like it. I will be honest, i listen to dance and sometimes i stand there thinking *what the hell....* I guess if you try new stuff that no one has really heard at all before then its always...whats the word...risky? But i don't know, it will be interesting to see how different DJ's handle the bop this year.
James.C.

Postby Delts on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:05 pm

Spike wrote:Hey, I'll be DJing this friday and I promise there will be as little *club* music as possible and as much cheese as can be drawn from a field of dairy cows! It'll be a special Bop as well, so stay tuned for more info ^_^

If you have any requests for the night let me know here ^_^

Spike

I heard it wasn't you DJing, rather something much more furry.
If you do physics, panic.
Delts

Postby Power Metal Dom on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:21 am

Aren't you all entitled to your half-arsed musings...You've thought about eternity for 25 minutes and think you've come to some interesting conclusions...My kind have harvested the souls of a million peasants and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet assembled philosophy
Power Metal Dom

Postby theshadowhost on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:09 pm

i prefer the dance to the cheesy pop crap i have had to put up with in the bop since forever. - at least you can dance to it as opposed to jumping up and down to "chesney" spilling beer on everyone around you.

also what people consider cheesy is different i guess. I for one would consider Rihanna cheesy.

I do however understand that dance might appeal to less people than cheese, but "playing music according to what is the least offensive to everyone is why we have elevator music"

think about it :P
theshadowhost

Postby LittleMissNaughty on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:01 pm

Back in the good old days we used to have regular rocksoc bop invasions and dance the night away to bryan adams, bon jovi and chesney (in fact you could see my artistic efforts on chesney's website with the banner we created for his visit) along with the spice girls, britney, tiffany and the best of the rest!

There were also the school daze bops, an excuse to wear short skirts, see through blouses and ties, stockings and all the rest (not that we really need an excuse!) and really party like you were back in the gym, but without Mrs Jones glaring at you from beside the benches and with boys who might actually snog you rather than put spiders down your top...

I'm not usually one to bemoan how things were so much better in the old days and I am all for progress, but I'd really like to see some cheese back, and what happened to requests? It seems virtually impossible to get the attention of a DJ now, nevermind get a song played!

OK, rant over. I apologise for being an old bastard. But if you played good music, I and my amazingly sexy outfits might be appearing in a bop near you and believe me, that is good for business!!!!!
LittleMissNaughty

Postby Jono on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:21 pm

Last night was really good. Though from what little I remember, it was rather dead.
Now some people weren't happy about the content of that last post. And we can't have someone not happy. Not on the internet.
Jono

Postby orudge on Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:39 pm

It was quite quiet, but good to have some proper cheese back at the end of the bop there - it's been ages since I've heard the YMCA!
orudge
Administrator

Next

Return to The Sinner's Main Board